Text Saved To Word Pad Is Opening In MS Word

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Text Saved To Word Pad Is Opening In MS Word
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 12:08 pm:

Hi,
I am running Windows 98SE and using MS Word 2000 v.9.0. Now here is my problem. I frequently save text to Word Pad which is saved in my documents folder but with the MS Word icon. If I click on it, the file opens in MS Word but cannot be read. There is a blank where some text should be. Now, I have to go back and rename the file and change the .doc extension to a .txt extension in order for Word Pad to read it which is where I saved it to in the first place. Geez, what am I doing wrong? Would appreciate the help. Thanks, longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 12:24 am:

Not sure of a good work-around for this, but you can click one time on the file, then click and hold the shift key while you right-click on the file.

Now, release the shift key. Then left-click on "Open with..."

Select wordpad in the list, and hit open. If you want wordpad to always open .doc files, you can check the "always open with this program" option.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page