For Jamie McArdle re. exe files etcera

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: For Jamie McArdle re. exe files etcera
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Geoff Ford on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:41 am:

How do I rename an exe file or any other files with those three letter suffixes? I mean how do I know what letters to rename it with? What if I forget what the original letters were?
Stupid questions I know, but some of us are complete novices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Helmut Fuchs on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 05:00 pm:

Geoff,
First of all, EVERY file in your computer has a filename, then a dot followed by a three letter extension. Windows9x simply is very good in hiding that extension, unless you know how to make it show all extensions.
The extension usually indicates what type of file it is. There are a few that have become standardized over the years. An .exe file is a computer program that executes a particular set of instructions to do what you want it to do. Double clicking on an .exe file begins the program. It is generally NOT WISE to rename this type of file because its may be called for by another program. If it doesn't find a file by that name because you renamed it, you will be unable to use it.
Files that YOU created like in a wordprocessor, can have any name you wish. To rename it, use the right mouse button on the file name, find the "Rename" in the dropdown window and just type in another name, then press Enter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 11:09 pm:

Geoff

As Helmut points out, all files have a three letter extension. It's there so Windows knows what program to use to open it.

The point I made in another post about renaming files was relevant to the file name, not the extension. Playing with the extension is not a good idea. Should have made that clearer.

Renaming a file is simply a quick and safe way of finding out if a file is important. When the software goes looking for the file under its old name, it obviously can't find it and the software will malfunction (which is the point Helmut makes). If the software does malfunction, you know the file you changed was important and you simply change the name back. If everything continues to function, the file can be deleted. But, there is a caveat.

Files with the extension exe can be problematic. An exe file launches and manages that program. Deleting that or renaming it will stop that program (or that part of the program) from functioning (and Windows should tell you that before you delete it). You should really only be thinking of altering it is when there is no uninstall feature with the program (there are other circumstances but they're a bit too advanced for here). The same applies to files with the extension dll (Dynamic Link Library).

If you're concerned about forgetting what the original name was, simply create a blank folder and call it by the original name to serve as a reminder (or make a note of the changes in Word/Notepad etc).

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave Worthington on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 08:17 am:

Hi I`m also pretty dumb I guess, what about files that have the, open with, box that pops up, how do I know what to open it with, I go down the list and just set here with a blank look. I've also tried to go down the list one at a time and open a file but I think I have screwed some of them up. I've also renamed some not knowing it was a no no, aaaarrr. help. thank you
Dave Worthington

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 11:22 pm:

Hi Dave

The Open With dialog just means your computer doesn't know what to do with it yet. It also means you probably don't have the default software that the program/file needs. What are the extensions of the files you're referring to (the three letters following the dot in the file name)?

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave Worthington on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 10:32 am:

Hi Jamie, well here are some of them, .prv, .sys, .ffa, .pkg what do ya think do I have a malfunction or is it just me:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 09:14 pm:

Dave

These are internal files that are used by programs on your computer. For example, files with a doc extension are opened by word processing packages, but these packages also need acccess to sys files which they will use while they are running. But they can't open them on their own.

Playing around with these files, particularly and especially sys files, is dangerous. Until you've got a better handle on how everything works, stick with Add/Remove programs for removing files. That way you'll (hopefully) stay out of trouble.

If you've already played around with them, and especially if you've played with the sys files, make sure you back up all data regularly and that you've got a reboot disk handy. Hopefully, you won't need it but you might have stored some trouble up for yourself.

If you restored them to their original state after playing with them you should be all right. But better safe than sorry.

Cheers

Jamie

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page