Backing up programs

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up programs
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ed on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

I am getting a new computer and would like to save time installing the programs that I have installed on the old computer. I would like to backup and restore them. When I go to programs I see other files besides the installed programs. Should I just backup the programs and restore them or backup everything in the progams folder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 12:56 pm:

Not all the files for a program will be in the program folder - many programs also install files to the Windows system directory, to the shared files directory, to the drivers directory - in short, anywhere they think you won't look!

I had to re-install Windows recently, and although my second hard drive was intact, I had to re-install many programs on it because the stuff they'd put in the Windows directories had gone.

The only safe way is to re-install programs rather than copying them, unless the program documentation actually tells you that it doesn't update system, Windows, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

In preparing for a move, what should I do to back up my files, programs and system, prior to unplugging?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

Are you moving to a new PC, or moving your PC to a new house?

Make sure you've backed up all the data, twice if you have time (just in case one of the backups turns out to be faulty!) Don't forget - passwords and logons for the web, for any programs that need it. Don't forget to backup your email.

Something I forgot when I changed PC's - my favourites! You can export them to a floppy disk, and copy them back if you're moving to a new PC.

Make sure you've got installation disks for everything, or copies of the programs if they've been downloaded from the net.

Or do you want to know about how to backup stuff?

Dianne R

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page