Outlook Express

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Outlook Express
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 07:53 pm:

How would I backup all of my current Outlook Express folders so I can re-install them in the new OutLook Express in case I ever have to format and re-install Windows SE or ME

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

The backup method I use is simple I have a second (or more) harddrive installed to which I save a GHOST (Norton product) image on a regular basis. At least once a week. The only data that might be lost is that created since last image was taken but this is true of all backup systems.
In the event of any kind of failure crash or virus I am ably to restore my orerating system, applications and all files in 20 to 30 mins without any trouble. Technical knowledge for this
is not required as long as you read the manual for Norton GHOST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bob de Castro on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 01:54 pm:

Is there away to back the email I recieve to, say a floppy, instead of storing it on my harddrive?
Ihve tried several suggestions recieved elsewhere without success. thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 06, 2001 - 03:00 pm:

Maybe share what email client you are using, and someone may be able to help. Outlook express, Eudora, ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bob de Castro on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 01:14 am:

On backing up email to floppy, I use Outlook Express. Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 02:33 am:

Outlook Express stores its mail in files with the extension .dbx so if you do a search using Start, Find, Files and Folders for *.dbx, you'll find the folders. Note the location or "path" to the folders, then simply copy them to some kind of disk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Rickert on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 01:24 am:

I recently upgraded my system, and needed to save loads of mail and favorite files to be re-installed to the new system with ease.
I copied everything including desktop shortcuts to "A" Drive (diskettes) Worked Great. I am working with an older system with a minimum of storage even now, and continue to use this method to free up memory when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By retiresoon on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 01:07 am:

I was looking at the post by Tom on Tuesday Feb 06 concerning backing up folders in Outlook Express. I tried doing as he explained and keep recieving the following error message:
I followed your instructions and found the files. They are all Adobe files and when I try to open them from either the find screen or from the floppy I downloaded them to I get the
following error:

Error opening this document. File does not begin with '%PDF-'

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

thanks, Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:15 am:

Rod:

This is a bug in Acrobat reader that I have found several times on different machines. Here is what I suggest you do:

Uninstall your adobe acrobat reader -
start/settings/control-panel/ add-remove programs.
Scroll in the list to "adobe acrobat reader" and hit the 'add/remove' button.

Next, reboot.

Then download the latest version of Reader:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Run the installation and install the latest version. Try opening your files again... it should work without the error message.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 01:14 am:

to easily copy mail in outlook express, pick a message(highlighted)click on File on the menu bar... - go to save as....-the "save message as" box opens.. you can save to "my documents"( you can make a subfolder in my docs, named email and then subfolder it with anything you want.) or use triange to pick a place to save it...floppy /desktop/ etc....at the bottom there is a box called "save as type" ...you can click the triangle and choose to change it to a text file....once in a file you can delete unnecessary info...sure beats copy/pasting and all it involved....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cadillaccryer on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

my service provider is aol,is ther any way i would be able to use outlook express?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By henry nix on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

Is there a way to print the addresses of all my favorites on one list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Barb Parris on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:38 am:

I have two email accounts, but it is the Hotmail account I'm having trouble with. When I go to "message", "block" it is grey and won't allow me to block the message. The other problem is that when I right click on the message to bring up properties (to read message) again it's grey and won't allow. What can I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Luigi on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:42 pm:

Why do my Username & Password no longer work? Granted, I have not ordered anything recently from the Newbie Club; however, I had been in the system previously.

And please tell me how to put the Forum icon on my desktop. Since I switched computers & Operating Systems, I feel like a newbie all over again!!

Thank you!
Curious

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:43 pm:

If you're sure you're using the correct user and password, I'd just sign up again - it may have been lost accidentally during a system update or something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Luigi on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:19 pm:

I'd like to know how to put the Forum icon on my desktop so that I don't need to scroll through my "Favorites" list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Chip on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:07 pm:

How do you back-up the Contacts file in Outlook.
(NOT Express)Have spent hours setting it
up and haven't been able to find Contacts in Explorer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:54 am:

If you open help, and go to the Answer Wizard tab, enter "backup" in the search box. It gives three ways to backup your data, depending on what you want to do with it.

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page