Backing up files

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up files.: Backing up files
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 05:46 pm:

Ladybug,
The only part of your questions I can answer is: Do floppies work for pictures as well as text? The answer is YES, however, pictures take up a huge amount of space. Depending on the format used, i.e., jpg, gif, tif, bitmap, ect., I use jpg for most pictures saved and I usually get anywhere from 3 to 6 pictures on each floppy if they are color pictures, more if B&W.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doris Wilkes on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 02:17 pm:

Subject: Backup
System: Win98
Used 4: E-mail, files>recipes,pictures received,
nice web sites,stuff to share,etc.
About backing up files...I don't know what I should be concerned about transferring to floppies. If computer crashes and I take it for repairs, do they save my stored files? Does a floppy disk copy pictures as well as text? What about music? I've heard about making backup to use for rebooting if ever needed but a Windows disk came with mine, as well as a floppy of drivers, and some other stuff. Isn't this all that's needed if computer crashes? Thanks for any clarification on this.
Ladybug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

This is probably a basic question. However, I have never backed up my files since purchasing this computer. I have Windows/98. I know it will take a lot of discs to backup the whole drive, but I would like, right now, to back up some single files or programs.

Help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:06 pm:

Yo anonymous!

Here's what to do...

Find the files you are keen to backup. Drag and drop them onto your floppy drive A: (put the diskette in, first, of course :-)

Now, that only works for tiny files. What do you do if you need to do some serious backing up? Get a Zip drive by Iomega. The disks hold 100 megabytes each, and you can use unlimited numbers. They are expensive, $10 a pop.

The BEST thing to do is buy a tape backup. If you can swing the $200 it'll cost. But it's worth the peace of mind (at least to me).

Lots of options available. The cheapest and fastest (but most work) is to use floppies, combined with a file compressing program like WinZip. (Look at the Tutorials on the main site, and you'll see four videos there on using WinZip to work with your files.)

Best of wishes to you, and thanks for stopping by TNC!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elizabeth (Elizabeth) on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:55 pm:

Hello,
Since you have Windows 98, you have a backup on your computer. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then Backup. If you will just follow the steps you can pick and choose which files to backup and where to backup your files. If you wanted to spend a little money you can get a disk that holds your entire computer. It is well worth the money spent just in case something goes wrong. If you need any more help, just ask away.
Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By easy_to_learn on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

Elizabeth or anyone
Where Should-I Back Up My Files to?
I saw the "Back Up" in system tools-
But didn't know what to do with it!
I am afraid that--I am going to LOOSE My Whole
System---SOON
It IS going Down-alot and Takes me to the Screen WHere it says "Hit Any Key" to continue OR
Control + Alt + Delete etc...
If I re-boot Sometimes--A Black Screen Comes Up
Saying--
While initializing device CONFIGMG
Windows Protection Error
You Need To Restart Your Computer
(i think I hit "enter)
Then It went Into "SAFE MODE"
and Restarted
**I ended up "Shutting Down" the system
by the Power swich--several times
I DID Manage to "Defrag"
Tried to SCAN DISK and It QUIT and Went to a Black Screen --with the Curser Blinking in the
Upper Left Corner
Lately--It has been Taking Me to "SAFE MODE"
Option Page--Which I DO--Then RE-Start
And It Goes Fine for a While then Back Down again!
I get alot of Illegal Operations--Some Of the Details--Put the Problem IN USER.EXE--probably Every Day--Doesn't Matter What I am Doing-
Things are a MESS--Here--and I really Need Some Advice
I am Posting My Email If Someone--Would Advise me through there--Thanks Lois

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By james baker on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 12:33 am:

Hi You need to state your type of machine and which operating system you use. Do you have a cdwr or a zip disk on your machine? Do you have a single Partition on your harddrive or multiple partitions?
If you have W98 clcik start click run and type SFC and hit enter. Choose Scan for altered files and then click settings. Under that window check Prompt for Backup, Check for Altered Files, Check for Deleted Files. Click OK and then click start. Have your W98 disk available to restore the files that are damaged or changed. If It finds errors in programs you downloaded you might have to redownload those and reinstall them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By james baker on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 12:38 am:

Continuing last post the next time the machine boots into safe mode or if you know how boot it into safe mode disable your screen saver and then run the Scandisk and rerun Defrag. Then shutdown and see if it reboots normally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jennifer on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

Help! I've been trying to use the "Backup Mysteries" tutorial. I cannot find "Backup" in the System Tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anon on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

You are probably using "windows ME" which does not come with the backup program preinstalled. For some reason, Microsoft decided no one would want to back up their files with Millenium Edition. (I am being sarcastic of course.)

You can get steps to fix that problem here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/5/41.ASP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alecea on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

I also need to do a back up of files,, but I have some questions about the different ways to go about it all.
Tom, you mentioned WinZip, Tape Back Up and Zipdrive by Iomega.
My questions are: Is WinZip a SoftWare Program?
What exactly is a tape back-up i.e. where would I find a tape back-up? And, is a Zipdrive an add on component to your computer, or a software program?
I appreciate any help you can give me on this topic as I would be really devastated to loose all my information on my computer!
Thank you so much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

I'm not Tom, but I look like him... well, no, I don't, but... anyway:

winzip is software. You can get it at http://www.winzip.com

Then, you would need one of the following:
Tape drive
zip drive

You can purchase a tape drive or a zip drive from any computer store. The can be external, and plug into your computer via cable, or they can be internal, and go into a section of your case, much like the cd-rom is inside the computer.

If you aren't backing up a large amount of files, go with the zip drive. You can get an internal one for about 50, and an external one for about 100. They are simple to use and effective enough.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Larry on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 02:59 am:

Backup used to be a headache for me. I used floppy's. I was limited as to what I could save and it took time. Then I put a second hard drive in my computer, which I used for backup. MSBackup is good but you have to read about how to use it if your window's operating system crashes. The new PC I got has a CD-RW drive. This is the way to do it for me now and forever. If I knew how great these CD-RW drives are I would of bought one long ago for my old PC. If you have computer fairs in your area - you can get one at a good price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 04:50 pm:

I am trying to follow the tutorial on back ups.
I do not have 'Back Up' in my System Tools.
Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

Gerry, Hi. What version of windows are you using?
Win98, me, or xp?
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 02:04 am:

Glenn I am using windows 98 2nd edition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 04:15 am:

Gerry,
I too am running W98SE, and "Backup" is the first item in system tools. You get there this way: Start/Programs/Accessories/Sysytem Tools/Backup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

Glenn, Not on my computer. The first item in 'system tools' is Disk clean up, then Disk defragmenter, no 'Backup'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

Gerry, good morning! There's no telling why backup is not there so lets try this. Go to Start/Find/files or folders. In the "Named" section type "backup" (no quotes). Make sure your main drive (probably C) is in the "look in" section then click on "find now" if it comes up just click on it. If it does not come up it's not installed and we will have to install it. Let us know! good luck. Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 10:04 pm:

Glenn: followed your suggestion and here is what I got.
1.Msbac C:\WINDOWS\HELP
2. " " " not meant for browsing
3.Backup C:\AOL Canada
4.WNBackup C:\WINDOWS containing
folder Wnclient62
file system
file win
5.Msbac C:\WINDOW HELP CNT file

None of it makes any sense to me.Does it you.
Gerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:03 am:

Gerry, Glen... if the backup program is not on your computer, get your Windows CD out and add the program using the Add/Remove Programs applet, Windows Setup tab... scroll to the System Tools item, click the Details button... click to put a checkmark in the checkbox next to backup. You can probably figure the rest out from here.

And thanks for using this board... I think that's totally cool! :-)

Note: Windows Me doesn't come with Backup installed... you have to add it from some other directory on the CD or from somewhere in the bowels of your hard drive. Check out a book on Windows Me for details.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

Hi Gerry, backup is not installed for some reason on your p.c. Get your win98 cd, and using the add/remove app, go to "windows setup" then "system tools". click "details" scroll down and check "backup" then click "have disk". It should install at this point..hope this helped! Have a great day, Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 12:33 pm:

Well, lesson learned.*L*..always read all posts!!I just posted the exact same thing Tom did. Oh well, "measure twice, cut once" might apply here also!!!!! Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gerry on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

Glenn & Tom, a great big thanks. I just followed your instructions and 'voila' I now have backup on my computer.This board is a real neat service.
Now its a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Gerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gerry on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

Richard I should have thanked you to. I missed that you were part of the dialogue. Gerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bill on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 05:26 pm:

I have followed backup procedure on programs, accessories, system tools, backup. I selected 'full' and backed up to d: drive. and it completed backup and verified but had errors. See following:Start Job Report in next post.
Prior to doing backup, I cleared history, internet tempory files, Shut down (in msconfig)all startup's, except scanregestry and system tray. ran defrag, after system restarted I ran the backup.
Can anyone tell me:
1. what the errors mean.
2. what I did wrong.
3. what I should have done.
4. what I should do now to get an error free backup of full system.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bill on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 05:30 pm:

heStart Job Report

Job Name: bck01-17-02

Backup Job Started - 1/17/02 3:35:58PM
The registry has been backed up.
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\OEMCOMPUTER.ldb - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat - busy
Error: D:\my backup.qic - busy
Processed File Count: 21,248
Total Bytes After Compression: 1,258,630,179
Total Bytes Before Compression: 1,952,993,254
Operation Completed - Yes
Backup Job Ended - 1/17/02 4:27:02PM
Compare Job Started - 1/17/02 4:27:02PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bill on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 05:32 pm:

here is the last part of Job report.
PerfectPhoto\art\ARTREG.ICO has been modified since it was backed up.
Warning: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Warning: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Warning: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Warning: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\OEMCOMPUTER.ldb was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Warning: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Warning: D:\my backup.qic was busy during backup. It cannot be restored or compared.
Processed File Count: 21,247
Total Bytes Before Compression: 1,952,992,488
Operation Completed - Yes
Compare Job Ended - 1/17/02 4:59:50PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 11:24 pm:

Hi Bill, good job on the backup... but you don't really have problems except for a couple things. Let me go over those here:

C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat - Used for your IE cookies, not important to a backup, and will always be busy...but perhaps not in safe mode. At any rate, it is unimportant to backup.

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat - see above...it's the same thing, except for your history.

C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat - see above

D:\my backup.qic - This is the file you are making for your backup. You can't back it up while you write to it.

Error: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB - busy
Error: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\OEMCOMPUTER.ldb - busy

I have no clue what these are...and you may want to try to find out. They seem to be database files running on your machine. That is odd. How large are they? Are they big? And in a folder called internet logs?.... that is very strange, and if I were you, I would boot into dos, and delete those files, because I am betting they are spyware related, and not of use to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me again! on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 05:04 am:

When I tried to read a floppy that was sent to me, (it has the photos on it ) a grey box with a red circle containing an
X said :
A:/ is not accessible. The device is not ready. hitting retry does not
work.
Can you tell me how to get the device ready?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank C on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:18 am:

I'm a "dumb" newbie. I got the Backup Program from Tom a couple of days ago and proceeded to follow his instructions. Part I went fine and I was able to back up the file to a floppy and things turned out fine. I recieved Part II a couple of days later and went to restore the file. It went well until I got to Paragraph 5 and it says "DELETE" file. My problem is I can't find a delete button or I don't have the foggiest where I'm supposed to go to do this. Hope there is a "smart" newbie out there that can give me a clue. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

To delete a file, simply right-click on the file, then left-click on "delete" from the options menu that opens.

Or, another method would be to left-click once on the file (so that it is now highlighted), then press the delete key on your keyboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anthony M. Lajza on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 03:55 am:

Hi, Frank C.

Saw your posting above, In the Newbie Club Forum. If you still need Help, I can send you a copy of the Backing Up System that I worked out and now use- It's Simple, Easy to use and a sure way to keep you out of Trouble

I had a Bad Crash/Total Wipe-out, - So I know what it's all about - -It's No Fun, trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again - Takes a heck of a lot of work and a lot of Time - - - -Never Again ! - - Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank C on Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 08:41 pm:

Thankyou, Josh and Tony,
Josh, your instructions helped me but I still stumble about trying to figure all this "new" stuff out.
Tony, I thankyou for your offer of your Backup System. I sure would appreciate a copy of it. Somehow we could workout compensation for it and all your hard work!
What I'm really trying to do is back-up my "hard drive"to a CD-RW drive. I'm not sure if I have to do this thru' the backup system or not. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again.

Frank C. (frace@attbi.com)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RockinGranny on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 06:47 am:

Hi Kids...I'm a real green newbie here, and, really really lost...tons of ? and problems...first, I have a HP WinME, 1 yr. old...I want to make a back up disk of my UnzipWiz, and, haven't the foggiest idea how to do it...I've went thru HP Help, Microsoft Help, I'm lost!! Then I'm having problems with the computer acting bizarre...but, I think those ? probably go to a different board here at NewbieClub...if, not, I'll be back to ask you all!!! :) Any help would be appreciated...I'm trying to back up stuff because I think I'm gonna have to do a reformat for the 1st time...akkk!!
Thank You very much for your time and help!
RockinGranny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:54 am:

Had to reformat the hardrive and reinstall Windows. Soooo, I tried to do a backup using Microsoft's Backup tool on my computer. I formatted the zip disks first and it said they were A-Ok. Then I did the backup and tried to verify. The 5th of 6 disks got an error message that it wasn't formatted correctly. How can it be ok one minute and not ok the next? Anyway, I tried to do a restore from the first four disks and it won't transfer the files back to Outlook Express. It just stops right there when I put the 5th disk in and doesn't give me any other options. What now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By L. C. Williams on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:02 pm:

Hello fellow newbies...I want to backup my entire hard drive. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. My first thought was to buy a CD-RW drive and backup using disks. Is there a better way? I'm running windows XP OS. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

Hello. I am a "Newbie" to this forum; in fact, I am waiting for my user account to be activated.

Backup has plagued me for a long time; frankly, it was scary stuff to me.

What I ultimately discovered, through dismal failures, was that the only reliable way to do backup is to put out a little cash and get a "mirror" program. Of course, this really requires a CD Burner, so it's not an option for everyone.

Personal experience (backed by comment from many more knowledgable than I) is to never use floppies for backup; the failure rate on those floppies, and their tendency to corrupt over time, make them a poor choice. When I had to come back from a crash, my one month old backups of my address book and favorites were corrupted, and I lost them forever.

Since I am new here, I don't know what I should and should not do. Fred Langa had a series on backups that were more help to me than anything I had ever read. I still have the links and will post them here if it's OK with the mods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

After much research, and downloading some "trial versions", I finally settled on Acronis True Image. If there is interest, I can tell you the two biggest "hurdles" that a Newbie must leap to get to full backup. After those hurdles, it is one of the easier processes I have ever had to suffer through (in fact, after 4 backup sessions, it is mindless).

I'll check back.

jg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

Hi out there!

I'm a newbie trying to find my way around the cyber world. It's great to find a site like TNC for support! I've encountered a problelm with the 1st email backup lesson. When I cancel the Backup Wizard screen as directed I automatically return to my Desk Top and am not able to continue any further. Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm using Windows XP.

Hope I am using this board correctly :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Knowledge on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

Would be interested in the link to the Frank Langa series on backups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:18 am:

I couldn't find it! (I guess I need one of those programs that searches favorites now).

OK, here it is!

http://www.langa.com/backups/backups(2).htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 07:36 am:

How do I back up onto a CDRW?

When I first got the computer, I tried backup all of C drive onto it, ran out of space. Then I backed up "My documents" onto it. Worked fine the first time. Now, I tried backing up and I got this message:
"This media is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or insert another media to continue."
What does that means?
I put in a brand new CDR, won't do.
I don't seem to be able to find documentation on how to use CDRW.

Thanks so much for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Luigi on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:34 pm:

Please someone: Tell me how to back up my files, etc. onto CD disks. My operating System is MS Windows XP Professional. The manual that came with the Dell computer has no substantial info re: backing up data. In addition, the Special Edition MS Windows XP Professional Bestseller -which I purchased for megabucks - does not have enough info re: backing up data. I get precious little response from Dell.
Thank you in advance!
Desperate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:34 pm:

Here is the MS page on Backup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820

You'll need to copy and paste this link as it is split by the message board.

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:39 am:

My question is this:
I have a lot of icons on my desk top. I want to take off some of them. My desktop is too crowded. How do I hide the ones I want to hide. I want to still use them but I dont want so many on my desk top.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:05 pm:

If you delete a shortcut icon (with a little arrow in the bottom left corner) the original program won't be deleted. You will be able to run it from Start>Programs, or by using Windows Explorer to go to the directory.

So you can delete the shortcut icons of any programs you don't use often. You'll get a message telling you that you aren't deleting the program. WinXP has this "cleanup" feature built in.

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page