Can I Backup My Documents Folder

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Can I Backup My Documents Folder
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Backing up  1   02/09 07:47am
Backing Up--Using 3 1\2" Floppy  2   04/28 08:37pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By june roldan on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 11:13 am:

My year old Dell computer has been acting up for
a while. And I'm afraid that eventually I'm going to have to reformat. Even though a Dell tech told me I wouldn't have to, and that I could just rename the Windows directory and install it. Is there any truth to this?

If that isn't true the things I'd like to save the most would be: software I've paid for and downloaded from the net, my Outlook Express folders, my Favorites folder, and most especially My Documents folder. It has tons of my favorite stuff in it. Like: graphics, banners, install.exe of the software I downloaded.

Would it be possible to backup My Documents folder, and after reformating, put it back on my desktop? and if I could, would everything in it still be useable?

I have a CD-DVDROM and a CD-RW drive on my computer. What would be the best way of backing it up, And how would I check to make sure that everything was included?

If I can't backup the software I bought (I have at least $2,000 worth) Is there anyway I can save it, so I can reinstall it at a later date?

Please answer in as much detail as you can, because I've never backed up anything before, and this way I can print out your answer and use it.

Thank You So Much,
June Roldan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 06:58 am:

June:

Believe it or not, I had a response for you typed up early tuesday afternoon, but then I got busy at work and never got around to sending it!

I don't think formating the hard drive is the answer. You can safely reinstall Windows without losing any data.

Just Create a boot diskette (start/settings/controlpanel/add-remove programs/ bootdisk tab)

Then reboot with the diskette in drive. Place your windows 98 cdrom in the cd-rom drive. When you are booted to an "a:>", type this:

a:>d: [enter]
You may have to type e: [enter], depending on your cd-rom letter.

Then, do this:

d:>cd win98 [enter]

d:\WIN98>setup [enter]

That will start the windows setup program. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR WINDOWS KEY! You must have that to install windows. It will be on your windows book.

That will restore all of the windows operating system without affecting your software or important data.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By june roldan on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 07:57 pm:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I created the start up disk. Is this the
equivilent of backing up my info? I mean, in the event that I were to lose everything on my hard drive for any reason, would I be able to get everything back by reinstalling Windows with the start up disk I just created.

What I really want to do, as mentioned in the email that you answered is: Back up all the things I noted in my email. Particulary, all the software that I bought and downloaded from various websites on the internet, and My Documents folder. I have a CD-DVDROM drive and a CD-RW drive on my computer. What's the best way to make a back up CD of this stuff, and is that possible?

Any help you or anyone else could provide with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
June Roldan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 10:19 pm:

RE: Back up;

June; if you have a CD-RW, you can make a copy of ALL of your files and executables on a CD.

This is the best way to back up your files.

You can simply right click on your "My Documents" folder, select and click 'copy'; right click on your DR-RW drive and select and click paste. Your done! this will copy all of your folders and files exactly as they are on your hard drive.

Do the same with your Executable programs, if you saved the original download that is. I always save downloaded .exe's for later reinstallation if needed.

I wish I had a CD-RW :-(

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By june roldan on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks, Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Mindek on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 07:30 am:

In trying to back up my documents using the CD-RW I get to the...right click on "My Documents" folder...click on 'Copy'.Then, I'm to right click on DR-RW, which I can't locate. Where do I look?
Please answer in detail because I'm new at this!
My computer is a Hewlett Packard, model 8750C
Serial # USO2715666
John
johnm12@nb.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 04:22 am:

Dear Sir,
I sent the above message on Feb.17,02. Since I havent received any answer as of yet, I am going to try your new format.Please remove my name from the above request and all other requests with this format!
Sincerly,

johnm12@nb.net

DO NOT POST...

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page