Emergency, would somebody please help June!

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Emergency, would somebody please help June!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By june roldan on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 03:51 am:

My year old Dell computer has been acting up for
a while. And I'm afraid that eventually I'm going to have to reformat. Even though a Dell tech told me I wouldn't have to, and that I could just rename the Windows directory and install it. Is there any truth to this?

If that isn't true the things I'd like to save the most would be: software I've paid for and downloaded from the net, my Outlook Express folders, my Favorites folder, and most especially My Documents folder. It has tons of my favorite stuff in it. Like: graphics, banners, install.exe of the software I downloaded.

Would it be possible to backup My Documents folder, and after reformating, put it back on my desktop? and if I could, would everything in it still be useable?

I have a CD-DVDROM and a CD-RW drive on my computer. What would be the best way of backing it up, And how would I check to make sure that everything was included?

If I can't backup the software I bought (I have at least $2,000 worth) Is there anyway I can save it, so I can reinstall it at a later date?

Please answer in as much detail as you can, because I've never backed up anything before, and this way I can print out your answer and use it.

Thank You So Much,
June Roldan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kyle on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:40 am:

My year old Dell computer has been acting up for
a while. And I'm afraid that eventually I'm going to have to reformat. Even though a Dell tech told me I wouldn't have to, and that I could just rename the Windows directory and install it. Is there any truth to this?
Yes there is.
REBOOT TO DOS (or if u have xp use a 98 bootdisk) AND TYPE IN THOSE FOLLOWING COMMANDS:
smartdrv
cd \
cd my documents
md backup
copy c:\my documents c:\my documents\backup
ren windows winold
md windows
cd \
cd my documents
cd backup
copy *.* c:\windows
cd c:\progra~1
copy *.* c:\windows (note: u will have to reinstall those programs after u install 98/95)
d: (insert ur 98/95 disc)
cd win95 (if 95 disc)
cd win98 (if 98 disc)
REALLY IMPORTANT: IF U HAVE AN I386 DIRECTORY (XP DISC) REBOOT UR COMP!!
copy *.* c:\windows
cd \
cd windows
setup

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page