Need help with "Backup"

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Need help with "Backup"
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
My XP Home Edition has No Backup utility?  4   04/14 04:01pm
Need help with back up  1   04/13 05:27pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nitehart on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 04:16 am:

I'm making my first attempt at backing up all the files on my hard drive. I put a new cd/rw in my cd/rw drive, then clicked "Backup" from the start menu. I then made all the necessary selections and "Backup" began the process of copying the contents of my hard drive to my cd/rw disc, then a box pops up saying, "This media is write protected. Remove the write protection or insert another media to continue." Okay! So, what do I do at this point?

Momentarily Lost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By james baker on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 02:29 am:

How many MG's of info are you trying to back-up? If it is over approximately 630 MG one cdr will not hold all of it. Did the recorder attempt to write any of it or did you get this message at the start of the writing? What recording Software are you using for the cdwr? Might be simpler to backup to a separarte folder on your harddrive and them copy it to the cdwr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

Hello Everyone..
I'm a new PC owner and just trying to master my machine! Joined the Newbie Club and I'm doing the tutorials. I also tried the tutorial about Microsoft Backup. I have Windows XP, followed the directions..Start,Programs,Accessories,System
Tools...I can't find the Backup option either. Mine is a home edition. Maybe we don't have the Microsoft Backup.
Can anyone help??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

In XP, Backup is replaced by System Restore (still in Accessories > System tools).

Use it to take a "snapshot" of your system before installing stuff, and to restore your system if your new program gives problems and you uninstall it. Many programs do an automatic checkpoint before they install, and WinXP takes a checkpoint once a day (if your PC is turned on).

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Christine on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

Hello new user,
I had the same problem and microsoft backup is not on XP but I found MSBACKUP.EXE in the Windows part of my original disks that came with my computer. I used the search facility in XP on the disk then copied the file to Windows.
What are you trying to backup? If you have copies of the original programs you only need to backup your documents or data that is associated with the programs.
MS Backup is slow and only backs up to the old floppies. It told me that it would take up to 48 hours and heaps of floppies to back up my entire hard disk, and mine is only one sixth full. MSBACKUP is outdated.
I burn everything to CD once a week now. You can also purchase programs that backup to CD which are much more efficient than MSBACKUp. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rita Marie on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:33 pm:

Christine......can you tell me how you burn you info to a cd??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:21 pm:

If your CD writer didn't come with software, and you have XP, you can right-click a file, choose "send to" and then your Cd drive. You'll get a "balloon" down by your system clock - when you've used "send to" with all the files you want to write to CD, click on the balloon to load the Windows Cd writer, and write to CD.

Nero Express was pre-installed with my CD writer, in the "Ahead" folder.

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By margaret on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 09:58 am:

help please. I followed the backup tutorial which is very good BUT I wish to back up using cd not floppy. My system is set up for floppy how please do I change it to cd. I have windows xp pro

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page