Norton Anti-virus.

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Norton Anti-virus.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 08:43 pm:

I'm having a difficulty installing norton anti-virus 2001 from a cd. Could you help me? and
What is live update? How often it should be done and wether it is necessary or not? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:05 pm:

Anon:

I have 2000, not 2001. However, I believe they are both similar in installation. Is the problem installing it, or answering some of the questions it asks to install?

You should just be able to insert the cd, it will start automatically, choose your operating system (probably win 98/me), and then hit "Next" several times.

I would skipt the email protection feature, but that is up to you.

Live update downloads updates for the norton antivirus program and (most importantly) downloads updates to the virus list. That means that you get software updates and it protects you against any new viruses that come out...so it is imperative that you use this feature, or else you might as well not use any antivirus software.

As for how often, I would set it up to do it once every 2 weeks....that would be sufficient. However, if your computer is not on and connected to the internet during the scheduled update time, it will not be updated, so keep your eye on that.

As for full virus scans, norton likes to schedule them once a week. I run one about once a month, but that is just me.... feel free to set that up however you want.

Does that help?

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

Thank you Josh. The cd won't start automatically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 09:05 pm:

Anon:

Double-click my computer, then double-click your cd-rom drive (the icon may change into something that resembles norton antivirus, just double-click it.)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By budfitch on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 02:20 am:

Josh,
Why would you choose to skip the email protection feature? I thought 95% of the viruses are transmitted by opening the attachments to emails. Also I have just heard that there are two (2) viruses out there that you don't even have to open any attachment. Also I'm told that just by seeing the preview of any message (a line or two of the message appearing on the bottom half of the screen) is sufficient to catch a virus. Please reply if these hearsays are wrong.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page