Backing up passwords and usernames.

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up files.: Backing up passwords and usernames.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By PennyWidell on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

I would like to know if there is away to just back up your username and passwords.

I know there must be a file for them some where, where would I find it so I could back them up?

I have an emachine with windows 98 and a zip drive from Iomega.

Thank you,
Penny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

Hi Penny,

The easiest way to back up your passwords and stuff is to use one of those little boxes that holds 3x5 index cards. Seriously.

Buy a pack of 3x5 cards and a box that will hold them all. Put the cards in the box. Write, with a pen, your username and password for any URL you may have.

You'll never lose them that way. And remember...

The weakest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory. Especially when that memory is volatile RAM found in your computer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 01:34 pm:

Penny,

There is no single file on your computer that contains all of your username and password combinations. Those are kept on various servers where you create them. Windows itself only uses a name and password for logging on to Windows if you've set that up.

Feel free to correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kyle on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:10 am:

u backup ur 98 passwords by:
start>run type in command
insert ur floppy disk
type in those commands at the commsnd prompt, pressing enter after each line:
cd \
cd windows
copy *.pwl a:
exit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Maurice Pickering on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

Hi Penny,
Suggestion for you {It's FREE and very easy to use}

1 Go to www.coffeecup.com

2 At the top of the page click on
"Download Software" from the menu.

3 Go to the very bottom of the next page
and click on "more free software"

4 Near the bottom of this page you
will see "Coffeecup Password Keeper"
Click and download.

I keep a copy on my desktop and find it very useful, in fact I'm lost without it.

Just remember to keep a copy on a floppy and
update it if you make additions.

Hope this might help.

Maurice.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page