Cdrw or cdr?

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up files.: Cdrw or cdr?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

I have a compaq presario 5050 333mhz celero, 8 gb hd 96 ram, win 98 ie 5.0; what cdrw or cdr will be right for my system, 4x4x6 hp or a iomega, usb, or can you suggest, i have about 3.5 gb unused usually around 70 % resources. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

Fudger:

Any brand of CD-R/rw will work fine for your machine. The main thing to look at is the nXnXn, which tells you how the cd writer will perform.

The first n is the Write speed for CD-R's.
The second n is the re-write speed for CD-RW's.
The third n is the read speed (like a regular cdrom).

However, some have the first and second 'n' mixed up, so what is above isn't written in law.

So, a 4x4x6 writer would write at 4speed, re-write at 4speed, and read at 6 speed. (the last number is not too important if you have a regular cd-rom.)

A 4 speed writer will record a full cd in about 30-45 minutes. (which is what I have, and it suits me fine.)

When you mention Iomega, are you talking about a Zip drive? I assume when you say USB, you are also talkign about an external zip drive. These are good for transfering data in small amounts (100-200mb), but the disks can only be used on machines that have zip drives. If you don't plan to save a lot to portable media, zip may be the right thing for you. But if you plan to save a lot, and want to keep hard copy of your data, or want to take that data to another computer, a cd-recorder is the "write" choice. (ha, good pun I think.)

Cd-r's can hold 650-800mb, which is quite a bit more than a zip disk. Cd media is also much cheaper, running 50cents to a buck for a cd, compared to 15-20 dollars for a zip disk.

Hope that helps,

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:14 pm:

Thanks, i appreciate your comments, the IOMEGA reference was to a cd rw that was on the shelf in walmart beside the hp 8230 something both 4x4x6,
the differnce was $10.00 one way or the other, $178-$188, will i need new drivers or power supply increase if so how do i do either?
thanks much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:54 pm:

Fudger,

The new drivers will come with the CD writer, I have a HP 8230E,(external) 4x4x6, which works fine.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:58 pm:

Fudger,

No, you won't need any power increase. Last month I bought 100 CD from Office Depot for $40 with a $20 mail-in rebate, haven't received the rebate yet (surprise, surprise), but if and when I get it, that will make my cost per CD at .20

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 05:27 pm:

THANKS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:35 am:

Sorry Fudger, I misunderstood. The brand I use is "Smart And Friendly", which works great. So, I don't really think it matters what brand you use compared to how fast the cd writes. They all come with Adaptec Easy Cd Creator software.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page