Need files from old pc

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up files.: Need files from old pc
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

I have a major problem. I just got a new pc. I was using an ancient one (166mhz). Anyway, I was using an offline site builder (trellix). My site, including 7 sub-sites, is about 15 MGS. I used the backup files to download my site off of the old pc...For some reason, it took 40 floppy disks. I think I put more than my site on those disks. Anyway, I tried to upload the disks to my new pc...and it wouldn't read the disks. It kept giving me a message that the disks were not formatted ( although they were). I even went ahead and had them reformatted and tried again, same results. The thought of having to redo this whole site, it mind boggling... Any suggestions or advise would be so very appreciated. My old pc is not hooked up to go online now, but I can still get to the info on the hard drive.
Thank you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

Anon:

Don't use backup files. Download a program like winzip (http://www.winzip.com), zip all of your files into one large zip file.

Then, in winzip, use file, save, and you can select to save the zip file to your floppy drive. When a disk is full, it will ask for another disk. So on, until it is finished. Then, on the new computer, load up winzip, insert your first disk, and use file open to begin opening your files.

Josh Lowe

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page