Backing up files.

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Backing up files.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Backing up files  47   04/19 01:05pm
BACKING UP BOOKMARK/FAVORITE LIST?  5   07/13 06:33pm
Saving Favorites List  3   02/08 11:35pm
Lost- Back up Facilitator/utility  3   03/27 06:06pm
Flash Files  1   04/19 06:17pm
I want to backup my Compaq laptop.  2   05/03 12:28am
Backing up passwords and usernames.  5   06/01 12:37pm
Cdrw or cdr?  7   07/15 02:35pm
Need files from old pc  2   08/06 08:01pm
How to copy e-mail files from my e-mail Sent folder to My Documents or other programs.r  3   04/20 02:29am
Back up does not work  2   09/20 11:42am
Transferring LP's and cassettes to your computer  2   04/24 05:11am
Backing my files etc  1   11/28 03:11pm
Recovery CD Promblems  1   01/19 08:39pm
Free back-up tutorial  6   11/17 05:31am
See Owner Of The File? What For?  1   12/17 05:15am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Renaldo Martin on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 10:37 am:

At some pointI must back up my files. This the point
I have a zip drive, about 10 boxes of blank disks.
Where do I go to get the information to use the above to back my files.

Thank you
rennieo@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:33 am:

Hi Renaldo
Are you asking how to use the zip drive? If so, try http://kb.indiana.edu/data/ahea.html
which explains how to use an Iomega zip drive for back-up.

If it's another type of zip drive, or if you want to know which are the files that you need to back-up, make another post here for more information.

Thank you
D Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joe Rathjen on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

On this same topic, I just ordered an ORB 2.2GB USB external backup drive. But I'm completely mute on how to perform a backup (on Windows) and which files to backup. I currently have a 15gb harddrive with about 7.5gb used. So when it comes to my door in the box, I'll be smiling but then saying "What's Next?". Can you advise? (Note: Most of my programs are on disk, except the ones I've downloaded).

Thanks,
J. Rathjen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arthur follis on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 08:56 pm:

i signed up for the 3 emails covering the backup mysteries from newbie.. i only recieved 2 ... i signed up again and again only recieved 2 ... does anyone know how to get the 3rd lesson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cartref on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 07:04 am:

System - Windows ME
Backup - Quicksync and Zip650
Does the job but expensive - wonder why Win ME has no built in backup as 98 had - any comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 05:47 am:

RE: Backup your data;

When we talk about "backing up" and the like, what we are actually talking about is making a copy of the data that we produce from various programs.

When we "backup", we do not backup any programs or applications, only the data that is produced with these programs and applications. The amount of space used for "Backing up" files is relatively small compared to the program used to create it. Say, for instance you have a Word Document that you want to "BackUp", you only make a copy of the data in the document itself. In order to read it, that "file" has to be opened with "Associated with" MS Word, (or what ever program you created it with)

When you use the Windows backup program, you will be guided through the process of which files you want to back up.

Personally, I have never, in 7 years of doing very large projects, ever used the Windows Back up program. I have always made copies of the files and data that are important to me so I always have a back up somewhere. Even if I loose some of the work, I never loose it all.

You can make copies of any file on your computer to many of the available mediums, whether it's floppies, Recordable CD's, extra hard drives, Zip Drives or internet web site space, where ever or however you elect to make "Back Ups" of your work, you will always, only be making copies of the data produced.

Hope this helps everybody out on the subject.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Penny Widell on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

I would like to know how to tie two computers
together so that I can use one for back up.

My new computer is acting up and will have to
eventually reformat. And would like to keep my
ebooks and files so I do not have to redownload them all.

From what I understand I need to get a catagory 5 cable?

Is there a way to do it using a phone cord to connect the modems together. And if not how do I
connest them using the cable?

Where do I connect them at and how do I see what is on the other computer?

I mean I checked the other computer,but when I have them tied together how do I see what files are on the other one.

The new computer is an e-machine which I would not buy another one.

And the old one I do not know what it is. I thought that it was an ibm but apparently not.
I do know that it is ibm compatible though.

Thanks for your help.

Penny Widell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debbie Smyth on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 11:15 pm:

Hi,
I don't know if anyone can help me or not and this is the second time I've had this happen. I just got a new Gateway PC Mill. I thought the problems I was having had to do with my PC being old but now I'm having a lot of same ones with new PC. Here's my latest and to me most important. I use AOL 5.0. Now around the 12th or so I was on AOL and got booted. So I went to sign on again but repeatly got an error message and it said if I kept getting this to go to keyword help. Then when I clicked ok it would maximize the AOL screen and turn it white. After 4 hrs. and getting nowhere I reinstalled AOL 5.0. But All my files and bookmarks etc. were gone but not my buddy list. I contacted them and did exactly what they said to go and transfer files from old AOL to new one but nothing worked. Not only that but on my c drive where the old version was supposed to be stored when I opened any file or folder they were completely empty. What can I do to prevent this from happening again. And is it possible it was a virus or hacker or something. OH and one more thing on my new pc I have a tool for restoration. That is suppose to restore the computer exactly the way it was if I went and chose a date prior to the day this happened but that didn't work either. Any comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lonnie Matesic on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

Hi. Just got my first two issues of the 'backup' tutorial via email.
Only problem - it talks about the backup program in Windows...I have WinME...factory-installed with 2 recovery cds...looking through all the files/folders one day, I came across the instructions on how to use the MSBACKUP...but I don't have the program/file/folder (whatever) of MSBACKUP, just the instructions.
I contacted the OEM about this - they stated that as part of licensing agreement with Microsoft, the OEM can install on the recovery cd the basic OS required stuff and anything else the OEM cares to add. The OEM stated that they did not include the MSBACKUP file/problem in the system of needed items. I then asked them why they included the instructions on how to use the MSBACKUP and not the thing itself. Answer - 'so sorry'! I then asked them to send a cd that I could add the MSBACKUP to my OS - they replied - 'can't do - what you get in machine is what you get - no added stuff'. RIPOFF!!! Microsoft also stated the same thing.
So - what do I do now? I purchased a CD-RW mainly for this purpose of backing up my data. The tutorial is completely useless to me.
Any comments - suggestions?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

Lonnie:

This webpage has a couple solutions to this problem. I did the first solution without any problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/5/41.ASP

If you cannot locate the file, post again.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lonnie Matesic on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:22 am:

Josh - when I looked thru the data on my recovery cds..not a single item regarding msbackup was in it. I used to have Win98SE, but that was in the computer that was defective - had to give back all the cds,etc - so I could get this new machine with WinME installed.
Daughter has HP Pavillion Win98SE and it has the MSBACKUP on it, but not yet installed. Would I be able to make a floppy or use a cd-rw to copy the msbackup.exe for use in my computer? Or would the configuration of my computer (eMachines) reject/deny the installation??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 04:52 am:

Lonnie:

The setup program is about 1.33 mb, so it will fit on a floppy. You could find the program on your daughter's computer by following instructions on the link I sent in the earlier post. Or, if you want me to send it to you email, just let me know:
josh@dyno-mite.com

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lonnie Matesic on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 06:04 am:

Josh - I printed out the kb article you mentioned - instructions...I understand the instructions. Daughter's cds are still sealed in the cd case - recovery cds - love the 'licensing agreements'!!! I am a bit leery about using her cds to hunt for this thing. Oh, the joys of owning a computer. I will be emailing you later.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 05:33 am:

Lonnie:

Click this link to get the file:

http://www.dyno-mite.com/Lonnie/index.html

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lonnie Matesic on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 03:09 am:

With all the weird things happening trying to install the link for msbackup that Josh so kindly suggested...I have come to the conclusion that my eMachines configuration won't accept anything that wasn't originally part of their 'recovery cd'!
Now, I guess I have to try and figure out how to use the software that came with my Sony CD-RW to do backups...and what I can/should backup. I know about OE addybook...Favorites...what else do I backup? Most of the stuff in the computer is the WinME...have software cds for other stuff I've added, plus, can always download updates/programs from internet that I have (virus protection,etc).
Don't have pictures or personal stuff at all...the MY DOCUMENTS has just what was installed. Any suggestion or comments?
Thank you.
Again, thank you to Josh for trying to help me.
Big HUGZ to you my friend.
Lonnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 07:44 pm:

Lonnie:

Sorry I wasn't more help. It is really strange how the backup installation program doesn't work right. I still want to work on that. What is the splash screen that shows when the computer locks up? What program is that for?

As for the cd-r stuff.... you would want to backup any documents and files that you have that you would lose. Not programs themselves. But, without knowing where you keep stuff, I dunno. Like, when you use word processing...where do you store stuff? If you do your taxes, where do you store it? So on... you just need to look at whatever programs you use that store data, then backup those folders where the data is stored. That is all the help I can give on that.

Take care,

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lonnie Matesic on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 04:32 pm:

Hi Josh..have had problems with puter..that's the delay in getting back to here.
I don't have ANYTHING in MY DOCUMENTS at all. I don't do word processing..if I do use wordpad, I delete the stuff afterwards..I don't save anything..not even emails. I guess for me, the use of backing-up stuff is not needed..only thing of interest to me is Favorites/addybook..that's it, I guess.
I just use this computer to do email and go to various game sites (pogo/etc) and forums,etc.
Important stuff I do by hand - don't trust the computer to keep stuff like that.
Thanks anyway for your help.
Lonnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ray Learn on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

For Cartref.
WinMe does have Backup.
Insert WinMe CD-ROM
Choose: Browse this CD
Click the Add-Ons folder
Click Msbexp.exe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By David on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

I recently turned on my computer and received a message that my hard drive detected failure. I called Compaq and they sent me out the next day a new hard drive. They told me to back up the files I want and then install my new hard drive.
I have never backed up before (which I'm sure I should have),but I really don't know how. I have a disk burner. My question is how do I back up and how do I know what files to do. I don't understand the short names of the files and want to know how to decipher the ones to back up.
Compaq said they couldn't help me as if anything went wrong they could be held accountable.
I use my computer only for pleasure and homework for my son

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Charlotte on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 02:15 am:

I am changing computers and recently downloaded files that I wished to keep to a zip drive since my CD burner was not working. My burner is now working but I cannot move the files to the CD or the hard drive. I was able to save some files by zipping them first but the zip disk was too full to add much.I would get the message 'system error 1026,' 'this file is read-only.'etc. I noticed that the files that wouldn't copy/move had been renamed. I tried to change the name back but got the same error messages. I do machine embroidery so have many, many design files that now appear to be lost. Is this a lost cause?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Christine on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:38 am:

I was also under the impression I would have Microsoft Backup in XP when I purchased my computer, not so I was told. I was advised to do a search for MSBACKUP.EXE on my disks and I did, found the file and installed it to my computer. I have never used it as it it tedious and slow. Much more efficient to copy/burn all my documents to CD. Even if you did get to use MSBACKUP it doesn't use CD and only backs up to the old floppies, those days are gone and one would wonder why Microsoft spend millions on developing new operating systems when they put in outdated backup programs on them. I would cause yourself and grief over not having MSBACKUP if I was you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Carver Smith on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

I tried and liked this freeware program. It schedules nicely and backs up files and documents when you run it and only copy them if they have changed.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By romyTF on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:39 am:

I am still using a Win98 system and I wonder if I can get help on the actual process of partitioning a hard disk. I would like to keep a part of the Drive for the Operating System and part for the Important Files so that I don't lose them all if something goes wrong with my windows. I know how to restore my windows using a CD program. I only know that I have to format the hard drive while under DOS. I hope someone can give me some basics on this. Thank you very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:54 pm:

Like the Newbie Club, PC911 uses plain English:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/partition1.html

PC Mech has help too:
http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/137/
Hope these help!

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By romytf on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

Hi! Ms. Dianne Reuby

I've read your reply regarding partitioning hard drives. I find the article very useful and will try to apply it sometime later on my computer. Thank you very much!
....romytf

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page