Another Outlook Express post

TNC Discussion Board: Backing up your stuff: Another Outlook Express post
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
CDRW help  1   06/01 09:51pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chaz on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 01:41 am:

Hello,

I am trying to save my email to my zip drive. I have gone thru all the posts here concerning saving, dragging and dropping, cut, copy..etc, etc.
I know they are dbx files and can find them either with windows explorer or thru the "find" from the start menu. And I remember reading that to open them I have to put them back into Outlook. Is that correct so far? Ok, so when I have tried this, I get a folder back to Outlook it says it won't open it because it is too big for notebook and would I like to open it with wordpad. So, after clicking "yes" is opens to this garbled mess like encryption. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Where is this notepad thing coming from? I am at wits end. I need to uninstall IE and Outlook and reinstall them because of some other problems, but I don't want to take a chance on losing my "stuff".
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you verry much,
chaz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 07:55 am:

Chaz, you need to actually Export the files first.

To do that, simply click File/import and export/ export. You will export your inbox. It doesn't really matter what format you choose, as long as you remmeber to import it from the same format.

So export, save to zip (if you want), then do your reinstallation.

To get them again, simply import them - file/import and export/import.

You can do this with contacts and so forth.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chaz on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

Thanks Josh,

Ok, I tried that and here's how it went.. When I clicked on export I get a message (little window in the middle of the screen) that says.."This will export messages from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange"...So, I click "yes" and another little window pops up . It says "The export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI"... I have no clue what that is. Also, I have looked for Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange by going to Start/Programs and going thru the list. Isn't that where they should be? I could swear that I (used to anyway) had micro. outlook in the program list. I must really have some big time problems going on. I am about ready to shuck it all and start over with a brand new OS(XP) Running windows 98 at the present.

Thank you for any further help.

chaz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By SteveC on Friday, June 07, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

Please clarify are you trying to do this with Outlook or Outlook Express? It makes a difference.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page