AOL vs. others

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: AOL vs. others
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Copy and Paste Help Needed!  4   02/15 03:03pm
Browser Font size  1   09/25 01:53am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

Sorry,

NOT CYBERCONTROL.com,

it is:
http://www.cyberpatrol.com (silly rhyming words..)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

Another Newbie:

You can get some third-party software to help filter out bad websites. However, within the last week, a study showed that all of the filtering software misses about 1/3 of all sites that would be considered questionable.

There is no substitution for a parent being with their child as he or she searches the internet.

Here are a couple filtering software packages:

http://www.cybercontrol.com

http://www.netnanny.com

Also, you can find several others by going to http://www.download.com and searching for "filter software"

Once again, I stress that a parent concerned about their child's time online should be with the child.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Another Newbie on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

Clarification on previous post about BLOCKS for chidren using a computer--I asking about servers that will block children from getting to the websites that you don't want them to see or have access to. I should have expressed myself more plainly. Sorry and thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RockerDude on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 10:16 am:

I for one got started on the internet over 3 years ago to further expand my other business and when I first started I for one am glad I started with AOL. But as soon as I got computer savy I immediately realized that AOL is very limited and even though there browser is MSIE it does not compare to your IE on your desktop. If you have to continue to use AOL then I strongly urge you to do away with there browser and minimize AOL and use IE on desktop. Just recently AOL when they went to there 6.0 version they have moved up a little and now are HTML compliant in there email. But it still has its faults like for instance when you send email from a pop 3 account to an AOL receipient with a graphic embedded in the message box it will not show up. This seems to be a problem with people that don't realize this yet and when grandma recieves her grand kids picture and it doesn't show up, they can't understand why. So when sending to AOL customers from pop3 you must send them attached. Same goes for AOL people sending to a pop3 or internet account. You must send it attached. Anyhow, after about 8 months with AOL I finally moved on with the big leagues and got a real internet provider. I now use AOL as bring your own access plan which means I don't sign on with them but I have full access to there software. Don't ask me why I even still do that other than the fact that there is still 26 million americans that use AOL. And the only reason I mainly did it was so they could receive nice looking email before there 6.0 version came along. I am thinking about dropping them all together now. After all said and done, I still reccommend AOL to beginners. They are user friendly. But the bad thing about it is some people never realize there is an internet outside of AOL and they get stuck with them. Then they don't know why they can't get some places cause of the browser or why they are booted off so much. It takes an outsider to finally let them know. :) Rocker Dude

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Another newbie on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:28 pm:

Can anyone tell me where to look for internet services that have the blocks one needs for children using a computer? The only one I have heard of is AOL. Are there others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 10:14 pm:

Get AT&T@home if available in your area. It may cost a little more, but your time is worth it. It's fast and you don't get booted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MMounts on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 12:55 pm:

Hi everyone!

I have used AOL for a long time, but recently started my own home business. Half of my work is done on the internet and AOL is consistently kicking me off-line lately!! I have been considering switching browsers. Does anyone have a good suggestion on which one would be better for me? I have two websites outside of AOL so that is not a problem. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 05:45 am:

AOL 6.0 may be user-friendly for new computer users, but it takes control of your computer and conflicts with too many programs. Once you gain some computer knowledge, get rid of it and sign up with another ISP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Warren on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 08:51 am:

I see AOL as the Internet with training wheels. When you were a kid learning to ride a bike, those wheels saved a lot of bruises, but it was not long until you were dying to get them off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 05:24 pm:

Aye! Navel gazers ahoy! Main sheet to the wind, and get them AOL chaps a crackin'!

Yes, I love this stuff. Does it show?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Home_Biz_Seniors on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

What Tom has said is 100% true, of course. However if broad exposure and contacts is one of your aims you can't leave AOL out. With their millions of customers they are the Main Man.

Just another navel exchange, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:15 am:

AOL is great for beginners, and for an account which is readily available for email. You may be able to run a business with them, but you'll still need your own domain. You can use AOL as your email address if you want.

Serious business use requires your own domain, with multiple email address accounts. The Newbie Club would not be able to operate with only one or even three email addresses. Plus you'll need autoresponders, aliases, and whole lot more.

AOL is great. But I would never try to run a business based solely on their setup alone. This is my opinion, and like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 12:32 am:

what's your opinion about the usefulness
of AOL versus other ISP's for business usage?...
I need to decide if I want to keep it...

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page