Computer Clock Question

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Computer Clock Question
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
ICONS in the system tray  2   10/23 09:08am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:08 am:

Hi - My clock works just fine after I Downloaded from : www.precision-time.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By janfrank on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 09:03 am:

Have you loaded an online page as your 'home page'. If so and in WindowsMe, check to see if the title bar displays internetional time or the name of your saved home page. If time, does this agree with your 'clock'. If so then change your home page and check that your clock settings are specific and not left on 'select' or something. (Right click your time, etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 09:38 pm:

Software can cause time loss...

Software can also cause a loss of time on the "Windows Clock". This is a documented fact, and I believe it has to do with background programs that access the "Windows Clock" for time data, and basically take clock cycles away from the CPU. A good test is to check your "Windows Clock" time when it seems to be off a few minutes, then reboot your PC (this refreshes the "Windows Clock" to the CMOS clock settings) and see if the time is updated when you get back into Windows. Another approach is to set the time in CMOS, save settings, and turn off the machine. Check the CMOS time setting in xx hours - some length of time where you would have lost time if you were in Windows. If the time is correct, software is the problem. If the time is off - either the battery or the clock\motherboard is faulty.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 02:45 am:

Came across this today, maybe it will help.
Troubleshooting your system clock

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2691148,00.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 07:11 pm:

Kelband:

I had the exact problem with a computer I was building, and it turned out the motherboard cmos chip was bad. Now, I am not saying that is what is wrong with your computer.

The fact that the problem occured right when you got a new connection, that seems weird. Did you or the installers put a network card in your computer? If so, try removing it (take off the case, unscrew the one screw holding in the card, and pull it out). Then, turn on your computer, set the time to the correct setting, then leave it on for a few hours. Turn it off, and let it sit that night without being turned on. Then, turn it on the following day and see if the time is correct.

If it is not correct, then you may be looking at a motherboard problem. If it is still showing the right time, then your network card may be causing a problem. If the company you get your service through got the card for you, ask for another brand. Or, you can go buy a 10/100 network card for 15-20.00 at a local store. (Don't buy from a small computer shop, you will be paying about 45-50 for one. A good network card, but in name only. Go with the cheap one.)

But only do that if the time is correct while the network card is disconnected.

Hope that helps...

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kelmant on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 08:49 pm:

Something is happening in my PC that I do not understand. It is losing time at an unpredictable rate. I have replaced the battery twice and it continues to randomly lose time. I have an IBM PC with Intel 400 MHz Pentium II processor with 100 MHz front-side bus, 192.0 MB of RAM, 8 GB hard drive (3.04 GB used). I try to keep it scanned and defragged. I am loading a lot of applications on start-up but they are ones I want to start-up.

This problem just started the first week of February, about a week after I changed from my 56K dial-up modem to an "always on" internet connection with Starband (through my DishNet satellite). It's not the incorrect time that bothers me so much, as not knowing WHY or if it is causing any other system problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 11:56 am:

Hi
It is powered by the battery - this shouldn'r affect the running of your system yet, but if you want the right time you'll need to change it or get it changed by a PC repair store.

How old is your PC? If it's quite old, it's probably the battery, but if it's not, there could be other problems causing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Douglas Davis on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 06:25 am:

I suddenly noticed that my computer clock in the taskbar is losing almost 5 minutes per hour. It has always kept real good time. I recently installed WindowsME. Is the clock powered by the CMOS battery? Could it be low?

Thanks,

Doug
http://www.kabino.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page