Uploading to web site

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Banner exchange with individual web-site: Uploading to web site
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 12:30 pm:

RE uploading:

Well, not knowing exactly what you have and exactly what it is you are tryiong to accomplish, let us look at uploading in general.

First, you obviously have a web site so, you must have the capability to upload files, either by web browser or FTP (File Transfer Protocall).

When you downloaded the file you wish to place on your web site, it has a name. When you upload this file to your web site you have to place this file in a specific folder. Using FTP you would establish a connection with your server, IE: ftp.yourwebsite.com. At this point you have to specify THE FOLDER that you wish to place the file that is in question. You do this in the FTP client. I use WS-FTP it is just the ftp client I've always used.

When you get this file uploaded, you then place a link to it from a page on your web site IE:
http://www.yourwebsite.com/freebies/filename.xxx
Where xxx is the file extension. If it is a downloadable file your visitor will see the download dialogue box. "You have choosen to download a file from this site".

HTH

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Evelyn on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 11:06 am:

I am confused as to how to upload something to my web site that I had previously downloaded.

This would be something I would want to offer as a freebie to visitors.

Do I have to go to my server to get this done?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page