AVG Anti virus good, but.....

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Anti-virus programs: AVG Anti virus good, but.....
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sheila McCarrol on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:30 pm:

and the 2nd part....

Now highlight the entire text from NOTEPAD and click EDIT/PASTE (you will be overwriting the text on NOTEPAD).

Now click FILE/SAVE AS... and name this URL.INI

Close NOTEPAD

Reboot and see if AVG updates.

Now you will have 3 servers from whom to download. Also heard that AVG is very busy....you just have to keep trying. I have had better luck the last couple of days.
Hope this helps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

Hey Cher....
I have found a 'fix' on a different newsgroup. Here it is: (in 2 posts)

Navigate to your Grisoft folder. Most likely it will be found in the ///Program Files directory (folder)

Once you find the folder, look for a file named URL.INI

Now double click it and it should open up in NOTEPAD.

Click FILE/SAVE AS... and rename this file URL.OLD (this step will save it in case you want to roll back your change). Do not close NOTEPAD

Now highlight the entire text below....

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
Actual URL=3

...and click EDIT/COPY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cher on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:53 pm:

I've had the same problem as posted by Anon.,3/29,11:46am. I have it set to "auto update" but it doesn't. Then when I click on "Update now", it says I need to connect to internet,when in fact I am already.
I don't recall having this problem on my old puter,when I ran Millenium, but now have a new machine & XP Home Edition.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Cher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:46 am:

Up until recently my free version of AVG Anti-virus worked great.....updated automatically every morning. In the last couple of weeks it takes several tries to "catch"...says there is no automatic connection to the internet. I am connected. Sometimes it starts the update, then stops, showing a message that it was user cancelled. I just have to keep trying manually to update and eventually it "catches".......a bit time-consuming. No support with the free version. Any ideas?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page