Memory

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Testing: Memory
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ray on Tuesday, December 05, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

Thanks much, Jamie. Went to the web site you suggested and found myself in over my head, but I did bookmark it for future use as it has a lot of info I probably will be needing. I think I will take your advice & leave it as is for now as everything runs OK but slow compared to my 466 which is probably normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 09:33 pm:

Ray

Chances are it's DRAM. Which means it has to be configured in a certain way, i.e. all the chips need to be the same size (e.g. 2 x 32, 2 x 16) etc. This is not a restriction with SDRAM, but there are other issues.

First, in PC terms, it's comparatively old - so the upgrade options available to you will be restricted by the motherboard and processor. In short, upgrading the memory might not make any difference because your system is not able to use it effectively (there may be interface issues between the motherboard and the RAM to do with system architecture - can't remember the exact figures).

Running 32 MB Ram under Win 95 on a 200 mmx processor was perfectly acceptable back then (even cutting edge!). If your wife doesn't intend to run high-end graphics software, I would question the need for upgrading - the speed difference may well be negligible. My inclination would be to just use the system as is. Have you tried using the genealogy software to get a feel for the speed?

One other point. I'll bet there is a manufacturer's folder or program on your PC somewhere. Try a search for it. If it's there, you should be able to find your system info in it.

If you still want to proceed, your best bet is to do your own basic research. I'd suggest starting here (http://www.pctechguide.com/comps.htm).

Next, take the case off the PC and see how many memory slots you have (you'll know how to by now). Then 'phone up a few online retailers and ask them what would be compatible with your set up.

Important point - you might need to take any purchase back. So I'd suggest buying offline and specifically stating this as a requirement before parting with any cash.

Sorry not to be more specific. There are just too many variables. But hope this helps to a degree.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ray on Monday, December 04, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

How do I know what type of memory I need to purchase. I inherited an older Proteva 200 mmx with win 95, 2 gig hard drive & 32 megs of ram, but no paperwork. Protevas website is not on-line as they are now out of business. Would like to add 32 megs of ram but have no idea what type to get. Wife will be using this machine for her genealogy research. Would like to make this one of her xmas gifts, please help, thanks

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page