System Resources

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Defrag: System Resources
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:17 pm:

Derek:

This is a fairly common problem with Windows 98. For example, my computer at work used to hang when it was shutting down. The problem turned out to be that Microsoft Outlook (mail) was still exiting and that created the hang-up. The shutdown problem could be a program you have running that doesn't have enough time to shut down. So first, close all windows, then wait about 30 seconds before shutting down... see if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately, there is a variety of reasons why win98 won't shutdown properly....so here is a link for troubleshooting shutdown problems:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q202/6/33.ASP

If none of those suggestions work, here is a link for a patch for win98 SECOND EDITION, to help with shutdown:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/8/87.ASP

(Not sure if you have second edition or not? Right-click on My Computer, left-click on properties. Next to the picture of a monitor, it tells you what your operating system is. On the second line, it should say "second edition")

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By derek on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 09:27 am:

I have windows 98,whenever I try to shut down the computer, it says it's shutting dowd but it does'nt,please help ,I'm a senior and this is driving me nuts.Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 11:29 am:

I keep getting a message that says "Outlook Express did not shutdown properly" then as I try to close out it says OE STORE CLEANUP THREAD tHIS PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING THAN I HAVE THE CHOICE OF CLICK, CANCEL OR END TASK. What should I do to remedy this please, Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 03:20 pm:

Denise:

I am not sure why those two things are in your start menu, but I wouldn't remove them. (If someone knows differently, please say so.) I don't think that they affect your resources...and you need both.

If it is still low, then it seems that something is still running in the background taking a lot of resources. But, as long as you are not getting any "computer dangerously low on resources" messages, you should be ok.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Denise on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:29 am:

I have done all of these things and it still seems to be low. I have 128 megs of ram and about 5 things in my start up. On my task bar I have my clock, my mouse (needs to be there so I can scroll) my speaker, antivirus, and the two computers when I am connected the internet.
Does anyone know what scan registry is and system tray? These are in my start up and not sure what they are.

Thanks
Denise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

Denise:

How much RAM do you have? You can get by on 64 MB, but 128 MB should be your target amount.

Clean out the Start menu STARTUP folder. Odds are that you don't need anything to be in there. Right-click the Start button, click Open, double-click Programs, then double-click Startup. Right-click on each icon, then click Delete. Once you finish, reboot your computer.

If you're using Windows 98, click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG, click Okay, then click the Startup tab. Everything listed with a checkmark next to it is loading and running in the background. All these programs eat up system resources and slow things down. By unchecking some of them, this disables them and keeps them from loading and running. The problem is knowing which ones to uncheck. Even if you do, it's a good idea to do just one or two at a time between reboots.

Frank Lavallee
http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

Anonymous:

I don't think you have to be really concerned, but you may want to improve your computer's performance.

Look at the right side of the taskbar (where the clock is). How many different icons do you have there? Each one is a program running on your computer, with most starting up with windows. You don't need anything in the taskbar, except antivirus software, the speaker icon, task scheduler (if you use it)... and that's it. On each icon that you don't want starting with windows, right-click on it, and go to preferences or options. Set it to not boot with windows.

Then, reboot your computer and notice where your resources are at. Do that before starting any programs. If the resources are still low, then you may have several other things running in the background that you can do away with. Click start/run/ type in: msconfig [hit enter].

Click the startup tab. In the list will be all the programs that start with windows. You can uncheck some of these so that windows will not load those programs when it is started up, which will improve your resource level. It is very important that you DO NOT uncheck more than one at a time. Uncheck one, then reboot and make sure the computer does not have any problems. Then remove another...so on.

Don't uncheck anything that sounds like a program that windows needs to run. Only uncheck those items that you recognize as programs that you have installed on your computer.

Now, that should definatly help your resources. Note the level, then connect to the internet. Check the level again. Start your browser and go to a website. Check the level again. By doing that, you make sure some program is not draining all the resources by itself. It is normal for an application to take 2-3 percentage points... but not normal for it to take 6 or 7.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:40 pm:

I am wondering why my system resources are always so low when I am on the internet?
And what does this mean? Mine are usually around 58% and that seems kind of low. Does this mean anything and if so how do I get this number higher.

Thanks
Denise

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page