Moving Program Files

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: RealPlayer ahd lost icons: Moving Program Files
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:18 am:

Peter:

The programs may continually look for that original location. Although you can alter the windows shortcuts to start a program, the program itself may try to open files on C that are no longer there. I would suggest reinstalling those programs on D instead of trying to make them work by moving them over.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peter on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 11:38 pm:

Last year Windows and Internet Explorer crashed in my PC and the hard disk had to be reformatted. To make it worse, the chap doing it lost some of my data when his server crashed. To avoid the chaos happening again, he partitioned my hard disk, putting programs and other stuff on C:\ and My Documents and other data on D:\ (well, that's the theory, it's a not quite so clear in practice).

Anyway, I am now in the position that C:\ is very full and this is giving problems, but there is room on D:\

I would therefore like to move some of the Programs onto D:\ but when I do so the links under Start/Programs/ can't find them. I've created new Desktop icons with the D:\ address but they don't work because they still look for some file in C:\

Can someone please tell me how I can overcome this problem

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page