Password, What's It Good For?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: How do You Bypass the Password Screen: Password, What's It Good For?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Updating Drivers  2   11/01 04:33pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheryl Berry on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

Have a question on passwords...recently purchased a HP computer with windows XP..the problem I'm having when I want to connect to the internet if I save my password it types in more letters(like double)and it comes up invalid password, so in order to access the internet I have to type my password in manually each time. Anyone know what I can do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 12:24 am:

To get rid of Windows logon password

Enter your name and tap enter
Tap enter to record a blank password
Tap enter again to comfirm the password
After recording a blank password you will
never see it again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 02:00 am:

RE: What good is the password?

Hello Loretta;

The password you are referring to is the password that Windows lets you set up for Windows Personal Preferences... You know so more than one person can use the same PC and have their "Personal" settings saved in the "Profile" directory on the hard drive.

If you elect to cancel the "Login" by clicking the cancel button in the log in screen, Windows will go to the "default" settings for the desk top.

If you have a "profile" set up with a User name and password and don't log in to that "Profile" you will not have access to your address book in your Client side e-mail program and several other "Personal" profiles may be hidden from view in the "default" Windows profile as well...

One more thing, if you were to delete any profiles you may have, you would also loose any address books that are stored under that particular profile, as well as several other files and possibly some programs may be wiped out right along with the "Profile". One has to be a little cautious in these matters.

For more information on this subject, open the Windows help from the start button and, in the "Index" text box type in "passwords" and also "users" and read the on-board help files.

I hope this helps everyone with this subject and I want to thank Loretta for mentioning it.
It is a very important feature of your PC and should be discussed more, it would seem.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta Woehst on Wednesday, February 07, 2001 - 01:33 am:

I thought I had posted this before, but can't find it.

I read in one of the threads that hitting cancel when the password box appears loads your computer anyway. Sure enough, I tried and it works, so what good is protecting your computer with a password, if that is all that has to be done.

How do I protect my computer from unauthorized users?

Loretta

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page