Question About Defragging

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Defrag: Question About Defragging
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
How Often to Defrag  4   04/15 04:03am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By David Stalford on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 07:41 pm:

Hi,
When I defrag in Windows, the white free space appears at the end of the details, but when I use Norton there is often Infrequent Access clusters at the end and the free space is ahead of it. Why is this? Does it matter where the free space is located? Is the free space on the disk actually in the same place as I see it in the details or does the white area just "represent" free space that may be situated someplace else? Is one of these two defrags recommended over the other? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sole on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 07:43 am:

There are so many new Defrag. and "clean-up your computer to make it run faster" downloads. Which one is best to use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 06:50 am:

Judy,
Here are a couple of things that should help with your problem.

(1) DEFRAG PROBLEMS. If your PC seems to stall when you are trying to defragment the hard drive, chances are good that there's something running in the background preventing it from completing its chores. A good sign of this is when the message displays "drive contents changed" and the process begins anew. Before attempting a defrag process, you should close all tasks except Explorer and Systray. You can do this with CTRL+ALT+DEL and end each of the tasks you see displayed there.

(2) Run Disk Frag under Windows "safe mode". Here's how: Restart your PC and hold down the CTRL key. A menu will appear. Select "Safe Mode". (Don't be concerned if the Windows display is different than it usually is.) When Windows starts, launch the defragger as you normally would, e.g. Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter. When it's done, re-start your computer. If the Selection Menu appears, select "Normal Mode". The startup routine should go back to normal and you'll see your familiar desktop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Judi Cushman on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 03:58 am:

When I try to defrag, it will only get to 10%, then it freezes. What can I do? My scan disc does the same thing. jcushmn@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 09:11 pm:

Richard, Catchup, and Frank:

Thanks for the replies!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 04:16 am:

Mary:

What's nice about clicking the "Details" button and watching the show is that you can actually see how little or how badly your hard drive is fragmented. All those white areas you see are scattered free space, which will eventually be consolidated at the bottom.

http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 10:15 am:

Mary;
If you look down at the bottom of the screen you will see a "Legend" that defines what the different colors represent.

Mostly they are just "Clusters" of information that are; in use, empty, system and damaged (cannot be used or moved).

Your right it's kind of fun to watch but it is very slooowwwwww..........

Catchup
http://waynesworlds.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 06:26 am:

Mary,

When you defrag and choose show details, then click on Legend (near the bottom). That will bring up a box that identifies all of the various icons.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 08:32 pm:

Hi,

I'm curious about defragging. What do all the
different squares (yellow, black, green, white with red "stamp", gray with red "stamp") mean?

When I defragged yesterday, I decided to "watch the show" for awhile even though it does move at a
snail's pace!

Thanks.

Mary

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page