Making a net. connection.

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Making a net. connection.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Web hang ups  1   01/23 06:41pm
Can't stay connected  3   04/07 10:00pm
Can't stay connected  1   04/05 02:36am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

Tamara:

I may be wrong, but I am almost positive this occurs because of a device conflict between your sound card and your modem.

First off, is your sound card part of your modem card? You can check on this by looking at the back of your computer. Notice where your phone cord is plugged in. Is this the same slot that your speakers are plugged into? I don't think so... but if so, you need to replace your modem/sound card. It is hard to find those on the same card, so you may have to buy them seperately.

However, I think that they are seperate in your case. I am assuming that any sound causes this problem, not just sounds from websites?

Here is what to look at:

Right click on my computer, left-click on properties. Click on the device manager tab. This is a list of all of the devices installed on your computer. Take note of the one that looks like a yellow phone and says modem, and the one for your sound, which will be located close to the bottom of the list.

Are there any exclamation marks over anything? If so, post back and tell me exactly which devices they are on.

If there isn't, let me know that too.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tamara Barr on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 07:15 am:

Can anybody tell me why my modem stop working when sound appears on the net? My net connection is ok, only when I turn off all the sounds in the windows, otherwise, when sound appears net connection is dead. Help, please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 03:17 am:

Yes, same one. You have been absent for sometime, so I turned somewhere else for help. Now that problem with win98 is solved, But I'm having a problem with win2k now.
It is giving me some kind of STOP error, I can't access it. Could you help me with this.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

Anon:

Are you the anon I have been helping with the modem problem, or are you someone else?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 01:10 am:

Sorry , but I seem to have lost my modem. I can't install it nor can I select it from the list and I don't have a disk. What can I do to bring it back?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Anon:

Sorry for my late reply...have been busy.

That is fine, you will say "OK" or "YES" to that question. Just make a note of what folder it unzips it to in case the installation program doesn't start automatically. If it doesn't, go to the folder, and double-click the install or setup.

If it does (it should) start automatically, then just follow the onscreen instructions.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 01:31 am:

I downloaded the file, but when I double-clicked it I got this message in a small box:
Winzip self-extractor-v90mot62.exe.
To unzip all files in v90mot62.exe t the specified folder press the unzip button.
Unzip to folder:
???????

What next?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Anon:

When you click the link, a box will open asking you to "open file from location" or "save to disk".

Make sure the save to disk option is selected.

When you hit OK, another box will open asking where you want to save it. It doesn't matter where, as long as you save it to some folder that you can access from win98. If you want, you can save it in the same folder where the other msuninst.exe file is.

Once the download completes, boot into win98 and double-click the file you downloaded.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

O.K. how to download? where to place the downloaded file?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 10:58 am:

Anon:

Step 1: Download the drivers:
http://www2.driverguide.com/files/uploads1/5175/v90mot62.exe

Step 2: Double-click the program you just downloaded.

This should begin the setup process for installing the modem. Just follow the onscreen instructions.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 10:55 am:

Everett:

You can probably get a new modem and put it in. Even if your old one is not on a seperate card, your computer should have slots to expand on. It is really easy. Just pick up a 56k modem (not a Winmodem) from a local store. To install it, all you have to do is open your case, pop in the card, close the case, and install the software. The modem should contain good instructions for doing this...but if you have trouble, you can always ask here. Also, if you are not comfortable doing any of that, take the computer to a local shop...but be prepared to pay around 75.00 just for putting the modem in for you.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Everett Rasmussen on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

ok i finally figuered this out i think the modem i have is motorola sm 56 al-l modem and the isp is having trouble talking to my modem the thing they said i should do is get a differant modem and i don't know if you can with my outfit it runs software program for a modem i guess. i don't have a tower it is all one unit and i don't have a regular modem with a card igues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 02:19 am:

Now that message, PCI Communication device, with a yellow exclammation point has disappeared from device manager. Now what to do? I want to get connected to the internet using win98!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

Whoops!

I just realized something. That isn't the installation program, that is the UNinstall program. Man, a light-bulb just went off in my head!

Running that program doesn't do anything because it is trying to REMOVE your modem! So ignore my last post. You will need to try to download the file that I sent in an earlier post or try to locate your drivers, because that folder only contains the removal stuff, not the installation or drivers.

Sorry I was steering you wrong, but I didn't notice the file name and try to figure out what it meant.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

Anon:

Right-click My Computer, go to properties.

Click the device manager tab.

Scroll down the list and verify that there is not a modem listed anywhere. It will have a yellow phone icon. If there is, select it, and click REMOVE.

Also, select the PCI Communications Device with the exclamation mark, and click REMOVE.

If it asks if you are sure, say yes.

After doing that, double-click the installation program for the modem again. (muninst.exe).

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 03:26 am:

When I double-clicked muninst.exe a new window comes out saying: if you want to remove the SM56 modem from your system,click yes. If you are intending to upgrade the SM56 modem with new software drivers, click no and simply run setup.exe from within the new installation kit.

Whe I press yes a small window comes out saying: Could not open either key.

When I press no nothing happens.

Now what?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

Anon:

Double-click the Muninst.exe File. It should guide you through the installation of the drivers.

Just go to that folder through windows explorer or my computer, double-click that file, and it should take you through several guided steps of installing the modem.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 05:48 am:

I checked the "specify location of driver" box, hit the browse button and went to the folder.

To tell you the truth, I am not quite sure they were the right drivers, but when I saw the name Motorola I thought this must be it.

As to the third point, I don't know what you meant.

Anyway, when I clicked motset95 folder, I got so many files,15 files to be exact. Four were help files, 2 microsoft word document files and 4 files I thought you will be interested in, so I am giving you their details now.

1.Muninst.
Type:application.
size: 34KB(34.816 bytes) 36.864 bytes used.
MS-DOS name:Muninst.exe.

2.MCA.
Type:control panel extension.
Size:85.5KB(87.552bytes) 90.112bytes used.
Ms-dos name:MCA.CPL.

3.SM5698.
Type:Security Catalog.
Size:37 bytes(37bytes) 4,096 bytes used.
Ms-dos name: SM5698.CAT.

4.SM56.
Type:Registration Entries.
Size:105KB(107,560 bytes) 110,592 bytes used.
Ms-dos name:SM56.REG.

What next?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 10:37 am:

Anon:

Are you sure that you checked the "specify location of driver" box, then hit the browse button and went to the folder where the files are stored for the modem?

Secondly, are you sure those are the right drivers?

And third, make sure you have driver files in the folder instead of .exe files. Here is how to do that:
Right-click on a file, and go to properties. Notice the MS-DOS filename. It will say "filename.xxx". Whatever is after the ".", where I typed xxx, that needs to by .drv or .exe or something. Let me know which it is.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 10:33 am:

Everett:

What internet service provider do you use? (This is the company that you connect to the internet through.) Check with them and see if it is a problem on their end, or if you have some settings wrong. I don't think the problem is the computer, I think something is wrong in your settings.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 08:44 am:

I have tried your instructions. It did not work. It gave me this error: Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device. What next?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Everett Rasmussen on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 08:40 pm:

if anyone out there knows anything about astro gateway computers please help me I can't seem to stay connected to the internet and getting connected takes thirty minutes the worst is i get connected and five minutes later i'm disconected. i have had my lines checked and they are fine they say and gateway says it isn't the computer. and if i can get help that would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

I was wondering what happened to you!

All you have to do, is right-click on My Computer, go to properties. Click the device manager tab.

Click once on the PCI Communications device with the exclamation mark. Click the properties button.

Click the driver tab and select Update Driver.

Hit next, then next again.

Uncheck all the boxes except the "specify a location" box. Then, click the browse button and browse to the location of your drivers (C:\win98\motorola\motset95).

Then hit next, next, and finish.

Now, if your drivers are .exe instead, then just double-click it, and it will do all that work for you!

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

Sorry for posting late, but I have been doing some thinking over the last few days. Anyway, I located the modem drivers and they are under
C:\win98\motorola\motbak95.
&
C:\win98\motorola\motset95.

What to do next?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

Well,

If you have both operating systems running on one computer, where you select which one you want to start when booting, then that is different from them sharing the same files. The operating systems are independent of one another, and just because something works with one does not mean a problem will not exist in the other. You have the correct modem drivers on your computer....if win2k works, but I don't know where they would be stored at...so that is why you should just redownload the drivers and install with win98.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

Just curious, if the the modem drivers are not installed or not installed properly then how come it works in win2k, but not win98?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

Anon:

Yes, the exclamation mark is important. Now that you have told me that is there, it seems like the modem drivers are not installed or not installed properly.

Click the link in my previous post with the .exe at the end. Download that file and run it. That should fix the problem.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

This whole thing looks too advanced to me. I am just a beginner, remember. I am not sure I want to do this. I am sorry!
Another thing I noticed when I run win98, go to device manager, I see an exclammation point in a yellow circle next to PCI Communication device. Could this be the source of the problem?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 12:25 am:

Sorry I have not responded... was out of town.

Here is a link to get the drivers:

http://www2.driverguide.com/files/uploads1/5175/v90mot62.exe

If that doesn't work, try this:
http://www.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads1/5175.html
Be sure to click the "download this file" link.

In case you need it, the username is 'drivers', password is 'all'.

Once you have downloaded the file, do not run it. Just remember where you have saved it because you will need it later.

Follow my previous instructions for removing/adding modem ... see if that solves your problem.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

I use Motorola Inc, SM 56 PCI Speakerphone Internal Modem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 10:25 pm:

Ok...that makes things more complicated. You will need to go back into the control panel (start/settings/control-panel) and click on modems. Write down the exact model, brand and any other numbers associated with the modem that is listed.

Then, let me know what it is...or try getting to the manufacturer's website and downloading the drivers. Let me know if you have any luck, and I will help you with the other part.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 12:19 pm:

I appreciate your explaining, but I do not have a cd to insert. I bought the pc without cds. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:42 am:

Anon:

First, locate your modem software. Make sure you have it, because you will need it to reinstall the modem.

Double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop. Double-click Dial Up Networking. Right-click on your internet connection, and go to properties. Right down your username and password, your dial-up number, and any other information stored there. Then, delete it.

Click start/settings/control-panel/ double-click Modems. You will see your modem in the list. Select it, then press the "remove" button. It will ask you if you are sure you want to do that, say yes.

Then insert the cd into the drive and it should start up the setup program. Go through the program. It should reinstall everything and set it up for you again. Reboot your computer.

Re-setup your dial-up settings. Double-click my computer on the desktop. Double-click Dial Up Networking. Double-click the Make new Connection box. Put in your information that you wrote down from earlier. Double-click the icon and see if it connects.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 07:32 am:

How do I reinstall my modem? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

Anon:

You are using a dual-boot machine? That is what I am assuming. Well, if so, then you know the modem is not broken....if it works on the win2k. I am not quite sure what error 630 is supposed to mean, but it probably is the "modem not in use" error.

If you have your software, try reinstalling your modem. That will probably fix the problem. Some driver or system file has probably gotten currupted.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 11:52 am:

Hello,

I have both, win 98 and win2k, installed on my pc. When I am using win 2k, I get connected to the net. without problems, but when I use win 98 I can not get connected. I get error 630. I checked control panel,clicked modem,clicked general tab, under device status there is a message saying, modem is not in use, how to keep it in use? I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page