OPEN WITH window

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Defrag: OPEN WITH window
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

A site for File Extensions - File extensions are often used to determine the program that created the file.

http://www.cknow.com/ckinfo/acronyms/fileextensions.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

Texanne:

This is a complex issue. The Open with... window only occurs when Windows doesn't know what to do with that file. When you choose wordpad, it tries to open the file in text mode, and if that is not the right way to do it, you get junk.

Usually, when a file is unknown, it means that you don't have the software installed to open it. But that is not always the case. You need to look at the file extension (the three or four letters after the '.') An exampe is "filename.exe". The extension is "exe", which means it is an EXEcutable program. Each extension is different, and it is used to tell the program what to open it with.

When you get a file that you can't open, say, from email for example, then notice the context in which the file was sent. If someone sends an email saying "here is that spreadsheet you wanted", then it probably would be opened in a spreadsheet application. Looking at the extension also helps figure this out: .txt is text, .exe is executable, .doc is a document (ms word), so on. By figuring out the general properties of the file, that helps you determine how to open it.

Now, if you figure out what is needed to open a file...say a spreadsheet application...if you don't have it, you can't open it. You must have the right software to open some files.

HTH

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Texanne on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

I get so frustrated when I go to FIND and type in a file I am looking for and then when I think I have found the file I click on it and up comes that darn OPEN WITH window. How do I know where I want to open it? I usually check WORDPAD (thinking this is safe) and then I get a window with lots of squares and few words..just gibberish.
Is there anyone out there in cyberspace who can give me a VERY simple explanation of how to understand the use of this window.

Thanks
Texanne

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page