How Often to Defrag

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Defrag: Question About Defragging: How Often to Defrag
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Janet on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks for all the help. I have always, basically, done it when programs start to run slower then normal or I start locking up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joann on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 07:00 pm:

If you use your computer regularly - like, daily, I would defrag at least every couple of weeks. In my experience, a good judge is when programs start taking longer to load than usual, or if you start getting a lot of "lock ups".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

Janet,

I usually check the percentage (I have Windows 95).. Go to Start> Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disc Defrag ... A box opens and asks what drive you want to Defrag .. Mine is "C" Drive ... then another box opens and tells you what percentage you are at.

I never let my Defrag percentage go over 3% .. I know it tells you that you do not need to "Defrag" at that point but my theory is why not clean up the mess if you have the time. That is why I don't ever base it on once a month or once a week .. it really just depends on how much use you have given it.

Hope this helps!!!

Jenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Janet on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

I've think I asked this a few days back but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the message board.

How often should a person defrag there computer? I've heard many different ideas on this. All the way from every week to every six months or so. Mind you I'm not talking about a computer that is used for a business nor puts on and takes off programs all the time. Just a good home computer that one surfs the net and e-mails on along with storing other things and general use.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page