Defrag

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Defrag
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Need Help with Scandisk and Defrag  10   06/22 07:24pm
Email blocking  2   05/08 06:42pm
Error problems with ScanDisk and Defrag  2   05/06 06:21am
How can I let Scandisk run faster and without having to "Re-start" all the time?  2   01/12 11:03pm
Need Help With Defrag  3   10/19 04:35am
Question About Defragging  13   05/05 04:41pm
System Resources  8   05/03 06:17pm
OPEN WITH window  3   04/20 09:50pm
Looking up e-mail addresses  2   01/29 08:49pm
Altered Windows system files (prognosis by Dr.Watson)  3   01/16 11:39am
The ISP From Hell  1   12/14 10:41am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By steve reinertsen on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 08:22 pm:

Hi,I am running Windows 2000 server and when I try to defrag disk C I get an error "engine connection lost". disk D defrags ok. Can anyone help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken De Pree on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

Like Hennie, I use Power Defrag. By taking control of your computer during the defrag process, it greatly reduces time taken to do the defrag. I highly recommend it. The lite version is free (this is what I have); it can be downloaded from www.PowerDefrag.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Hennie Rystenberg on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

Hello all
Go to the Microsoft product support page, there are a lot of helpfull hints and tips for all defrag problems.
Regards
Hennie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Hennie Rystenberg on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 05:15 am:

Hi all
I use power defrag and find it very good.
It reboots your machine before it starts, and when it has finished defragging it reboots again.
Just type " defrag" into a search ingine and it takes you straight to the webside
HENNIE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 12:23 am:

Back again. Here's the website for End It All, but hope I have all the dots and commas right. ZDNet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0011NB,.html The program was originally from PC magazine. Read about it at this web site. Don't go near the site called End It All. It's a bad one and nothing to do with this little free program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:31 pm:

Re above message - End It All. Don't go to a web page called End It All. I was trying to find this free program for you. It is available from ZDNet. Search their downloads for the program. I couldn't find it on short notice today, but wanted to catch you before you went to the End It All page, which would scare the heck out of you. Too bad they have the same name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:09 pm:

There is a program called "End It All" that is a cinch to use, and temporarily closes all running programs, other than what is necessary to defrag. On the reboot, after defrag, all is returned. An example - screen saver, virus scan, Real Player download, Instant Messenger, and anything else that may be running while defrag is trying to take place. I've used it and am very happy with it. It also speeds up the process, but have a look for yourself and decide. Never take someone elses' word for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 07:05 am:

To those having trouble with defrag, restart your Pc and enter safe mode then run it there. This will allow defrag to run without interference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Judyvan Riper on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 05:02 am:

Has anyone bought Win cleaner 2000 fron aol, I bought it because my computer is running so slow and now I'm afraid to use it because I may run into a question I don't know the answer to. Since I got aol 6.o it takes forever to do anything on this computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 06:54 am:

Wow!
I'm not dumb...but just what is Defrag
I'm fixing to reformat, (if thats the right name) Is Defrag something too I have to do on my pc?
Another word i keep hearing or seeing is configure. i know my spelling is off. But any info or something i may of over looked, (info) would be nice right now. I do know what reformat is. lol Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 12:22 am:

RE: System Maintainence;

To configure your task scheduler;
Click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Scheduled tasks.

In the dialogue box you will see a list of the tasks that you have set up. You can click on any of these to setup new schedule or click "Add scheduled task" to setup a new task.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sandy on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 11:16 am:

Hi People=;)
Also have the same problems....as to comp. slowing down.Was told to do the C-A-D bit.but to leave Explorer and systemstray alone...Did all of that.
Question..do I have to do this every month.I also see that my scan disk will not start with out doing this also..Is there any way to really fix this.This has never happened to me before..it would do her monthly defrag without a hitch..
and weekly scan disk..Am I missing something here.
Need some help as to what is the proper steps to take to have things back to normal.Going to hate doing this C-A-D bit on monthly schedule.It all happened as soon as I downloaded AOL.6.0..Any reason for me to start wondering if what they say about aol 6 is the real honest truth.Hope we can get some answers here..thanks in advance..Aloha..
and be :).....Sandy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 02:28 pm:

For anyone who is reading this topic, go to http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp and read the article, "Hard Drive Maintenance", which explains in step-by-step, easy-to-understand details how to properly run Disk Defragmenter AND ScanDisk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kirk on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 12:46 am:

Sandra,

What I suggest is that you reboot the computer and everything that is supposed to be loaded during boot-up will be loaded once again. Which you have probably discovered by now. :-)

All your TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) programs will be reloaded. These are typically the icons found in your system tray.

However, if you are referring to the apps you were just using then you'll simply have to load them up again.

Best regards,

Kirk
A+

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sandra on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 11:49 pm:

Could you please tell me after you Defrag your comp. and you have turned everything off that was still running. When you are finished with the Defrag how do you turn all the programs back on?

Sandra

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Sunday, October 08, 2000 - 06:51 am:

If you're using Win98, you can always check out ALL the details by using the "msconfig" command at the Run dialog (Start, Run, and type "msconfig" without the quotes and press Enter.) Then click the Startup tab and you'll see all the stuff that's starting when you start your PC.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, October 07, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

Barb

My guess is that something is running in the background that's conflicting with defrag.

First close all of the programs you have running. Then use CTRL+ALT+DEL to see what's still running. Some programs will still be (and need to) but if you recognise any software that you have installed is still running, click on it and then End Task.

Now go to Control Panel/Display and turn off Power Management, your Screen Saver and any background you have on your desktop. You should now be able to run defrag.

If you're still having problems, re-boot your computer then run Scandisk (start/accessories/system tools/scandisk). Tick the Automatically Fix Errors box and then try the above again.

Re-post and let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Barb Gruhl on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

When I try to Defrag my computer just stops working and I have to restart it.. Can anyone help me. Please ASAP..

Thanks
Barb

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page