CD rom questions??

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: CD rom questions??
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 12:34 am:

Hi Karen,

Sorry I didn't post right away, but I was looking for some answer to that cable question. All I can say is, contact Dell Customer Support... they should be able to help you with that. I have practically no laptop experience, so I just dunno.

Here is what I think is going on with the cd:
You are clicking start/run, and using d:setup to start the cd? Or...you put in the cd and this message pops up... or, even something else, but I am pretty sure how to work around it.

Double-click my computer. Then, double-click your D drive. If the error message pops up, say OK, then go back to my computer. This time, RIGHT-click on D drive, and choose EXPLORE. This should open a window with all of the files on the cd listed. Look for a setup.exe or something of that nature. Or, it may just be your pictures... I don't know, I haven't used one of those before.
But either way, that should work around that problem.

I hope that helps.... feel free to post back if not.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Karen Seiverd on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

It was suggested by someone at "That Home Site" that I ask my questions here. I always get great help and advice on lots of topics there so you guys must be good!!

I'm using a Dell laptop (Inspiron 3000). It has a pop-out CD rom and floppy drive. Can't use both at once and it's annoying to keep exchanging them. I found a cable in the carrying bag that has a connector of one end that fits a thingie on the back of both pop-out drive and the other end seems to want to go where the printer cable goes in (no other place for it) but that doesn't make sense to me!?! Is there any way that I can have both the CD rom and the floppy hooked up at the same time?

I recently got some pictures developed... prints and a CD (Kodak). I've gotten pictures on floppies before from one of those mail away places but this is the first CD. When I try to run it I get a message...

"Cannot find the file: 'd:setup' (or one of its components). Make sure the path & file name are correct & that all required libraries are available."

Well, that might as well be Martian to me!?! I'm relatively computer literate but by NO means a techie. I think the last time I used the CD rom was to install one of those free AOL hours things back in the late summer. I also needed it to install my printer and (I think?!?) the modem. If instructions a re really step-by-step, I'm pretty good at following them.

Can someone tell me what the problem is, how it might have happened and how I can fix it?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page