Why are all these running on start-up?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Start Up Items: Why are all these running on start-up?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Refilling printer ink  1   03/24 12:40pm
MCAFEE VIRUS SCAN  1   02/05 04:25am
Super Video  1   10/20 06:55am
Do you know 'scripts'  1   02/06 03:49am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:38 pm:

Too many background applications
running - try looking here!

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

this is a treasure trove of information on the apps. that you see have started up.
run msconfig and click startup

rodney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Clement on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:35 pm:

I have an HP 720C printer in which I refilled the cartridges. The first time it worked fine but the second time I refilled the colour ink the Magenta color won't print.Followed all the instructions but no go. Could I have some kind of air lock in the cartridge. HELP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:30 pm:

How do I stop AOL from starting up. I have no automatic starting up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By d.lewis15 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

I would appreciate some guidance with this annoying problem, on starting my computer it boots to the desktop as it should, then auto opens the windows c:\ folders.
I cannot trace the reason for this; I have looked in the start up menu and found it empty can anyone shred any light on this, Thanks Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By swans on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

i posted a message yesterday what loads on startup
the last two should be
ad service
run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By swans on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:43 am:

i have these loading on start up what can i remove?
nveiw
money agent
mcaffee instant updater
task monitor
system tray
synchronization manger
iomega drive icons
load power profile twice
scan reg
digital dash board
iomega start options
pct voice
hidserv
cpqinet
pc health
smapp
cpq easy acc
mcaffee guardian
ea clean
country selection
cpq boot perf db
em exec
nvcpl dameon
nwiz
aduser mon

desktop
load qm
service conntion
scheduling agent
mcaffee virus scan
ad saevice run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 06:00 pm:

To remove anything from your start-up (which shows on your sys-tray), click on Start/Run/Type in msconfig/ click on start-up tab/remove the check from the program you want to stop loading/click on Apply/OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By KJVBIBLE1611 on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

How do i remove Task Scheduler from the System tray?
Thank You,
Gary Teresi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:18 pm:

Roy, do you have a network connection setup? Like, for cable or DSL access?

You might have "wake on lan" turned on, which can turn on your pc if you get a request off of the network.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whitey on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on why a computer constantly starts up on it's own at various times. Auto maintanence is shut down, that was my first thought, but this has me puzzled.

Thanks in Advance
Roy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Earle on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 11:25 pm:

I DELETED ALL UNUSED ICONS FROM DESKTOP,THEN ALL PROGRAMS THEN ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS.

THAT SEEMS TO FIX GETTING RID OF UNWANTED PROGRAMS.

HEY! WORKS FOR ME,
EARLE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By swans on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:44 am:

i posted a message on AUGUST 17 on load on startup you said that you did not recognize run statemgr it should have been run,statemgr they are two different things.i have a DESKTOP but SYNCHRONIZATION MANGER .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 09:06 pm:

You can safely uncheck:

country selection
cpq boot perf dp
em_exe
nvcpl dameon
nwiz
adusermon
desktop
loadqm
ad service

Things I don't recognize:
runstatemgr ?? What is the folder where this is found?
synchronization manger ?? Perhaps software for a palm type of device?

Everything else you should leave checked.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com
(Posting rarely these days)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By swans on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:13 pm:

this is what loads on startup what can i uncheck?
task monitor
system tray
load power profile
country selection
cpq boot perf dp
em_exe
synchronization manger
nvcpl dameon
nwiz
adusermon
iomeaga drive icons
desktop
loadqm
alogserv
mcafee guardian
load power profile
scheduling agent
ad service
mcafee virus scan service
runstatemgr
nveiw
mcafee instant update monitor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rob on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:53 am:

Hi,

you can stop all these programs from running at startup by editing the registry
use start/run
type in: regedit

NOTE:before making any changes to the registry you should back it up!!!

you will find the list of running programs here:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

any that you want to stop running on startup, you can just delete.
P.S. If you are unsure of any programs listed,I
suggest you leave them alone.
P.P.S. ALWAYS back-up the registry BEFORE making ANY changes!
Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:23 pm:

I uninstall a program its gone from my start up menu. But when I go to win.ini it is still there with a check at it.Does that mean that I still have the program?How do I get it from there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Paul on Sunday, November 04, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

Hello -

I have a Win2000 system that opens the System32 folder window on the desktop everytime windows starts. Every time. It didn't do this when I first upgraded to Win2000 over Win98. I can't see any obvious "load" or "open" commands in startup or the registry (but it's a big place and I don't know exactly what I should be looking for)

any Ideas?

thanks,

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

MB:

Glad to hear all is going well.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MB on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 03:00 pm:

Josh, I just went into my computer files/programs and deleted every reference to Corel MediaIndexer and it is gone for good. I wasn't given all of that program anyway so I didn't need the indexer. Thanks for your help, I am still working on all of the programs running on start up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MagnoliaBlue on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

Thanks Josh. I right clicked on Corel Media Indexer and it only says Start/Exit so I click on exit and it disappears from my system tray but comes back everytime. I can't find anything in any part of the corel program that says properties but I will continue looking and let you know what luck I have. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

MagnoliaBlue:

Not everything will be listed in that folder. That was a starting point. I suggest you run msconfig as suggested in my earlier post, and you should be able to get most of everything under control from there.

If that doesn't help the media indexer, then you need to right click on it in the system tray, go to properties or settings, and see if there is an option to not run it at startup.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MagnoliaBlue on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

Josh, I went to start/programs/startup ...and all that is listed there is (1)Corel Media Folder Indexer 8 and (2)Microsoft Find Fast. The Corel has been right clicked and deleted on numerous occasions and then rebooted and Corel shows up again like the proverbial bad penny. Any other suggestions, please? How come none of the other start-up programs are listed there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MagnoliaBlue on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

Thank you, Josh. I will try that and let you know how it turns out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:01 pm:

MagnoliaBlue:

You do have quite a bit starting with your computer.

What you can do is click start/programs/startup.... there is a list of some of the programs starting with windows. Just right-click on each one that you want to remove and choose delete from the pop-up window. Even programs you use don't nessesarily need to start with windows.... that just gives the program the ability to startup faster when you want to use it.

After you remove the ones you want, then restart and make sure all is working well. Then, click start/run/type in 'msconfig' without the quotes and hit ENTER.

Click the startup tab. Uncheck the programs you don't want started with windows. Reboot. This should correct your problem.

However, there are a few that you should NOT remove:

All of the NAV or Norton stuff - antivirus
GWHotKey - if you use the special buttons on your KB.
LoadPowerProfile
Systray.exe
MSTask - if you use the taskscheduler for windows.
WinModem stuff - it may be needed to run your modem properly.

There are a few things in that list that I don't know what they are for. So.... remove only the ones you are sure about first..... then on reboot, remove one more, reboot, if all works, remove one more, reboot...so on, until all the ones you want off are taken off.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By magnoliablue on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 08:38 pm:

This is a continuation of "why are all these running" Add these to the list above and you can see why I ask...Do I need all this?

Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
Norton eMail Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
rmmon Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\mprmmon.exe
winmodem Registry (Machine Service) WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
MSDTC Registry (Machine Service) msdtcw -start
inetinfo.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe -e w3svc
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By magnoliablue on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 08:36 pm:

Media folders indexer is in my system tray and I can't get rid of it.Most everything else doesn't have an icon on my desktop and some things can't even be found in find. Whats up and how do I fix it so these don't run everytime I boot up?I don't have a reminder registry, that I know of and I don't have MSOffice on my computer.
(Next I will ask you about my 'running tasks', man is that a l-o-n-g list).

start-up programs
Corel MEDIA FOLDERS INDEXER 8 Startup Group C:\Corel\Graphics8\Programs\MFIndexer.exe
Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group C:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
run Win.ini hpfsched
Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
Reminder Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Money\System\reminder.exe
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
mmpti Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\m1mmpti.exe
EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
Multi-function Keyboard Registry (Machine Run) GWHotKey.exe
PWSTray Registry (Machine Run) PwsTray.exe
AccessRampMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\MINDSP~1\AccessRamp\ARMon32.exe
NAV DefAlert Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page