I have a problem but I cant seem to firgure out what I did wrong.

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: I have a problem but I cant seem to firgure out what I did wrong.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Help!! Many of my programs are locked up  1   01/04 04:58am
Redfaced before starting  1   08/31 03:52am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Carmen Lamb on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 11:43 pm:

Hi everyone, I've never seen this problem posted before so I hope someome can help me with it.
Wheever I start up my PC and it gets to the desktop, the Windows Explorer loads up immediately after. I've tried msconfig to get rid of it, but I can't find a way to stop it from loading. I have Windows 98Se version, and IE 5.5.
Any help to end this frustation would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By .. on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 08:28 am:

ANSWER TO FATAL EXECEPTION, IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN JUST PRESS YOUR WINDOWS KEY ON THE KEY BOARD, YOU MAY NEED TO DO IT A COUPLE TIMES , IF THAT DOESNT WORK THEN PRESS ALT,CTRL&DELETE AT THE SAME TIME , THIS WILL MAKE WINDOWS SHUT DOWN AND REBOOT.YOU MAY SEE ANOTHER SCREEN COME UP THAT SAYS SCANDISK IS CHECKING FOR ERRORS.. JUST LET IT FINISH,IF ALL ELSE FAILS , TURN OFF PUTER AND WAIT A FEW MINUTES. THEN TURN ON AGAIN , SCANDISK WILL APPEAR, JUST LET IT DO ITS JOB. (TRY NOT TO HAVE TO SHUT PUTER OFF LIKE THAT TO OFTEN, ITS HARD ON IT.. GOOD LUCK AS IVE BEEN THERE,,MANY TIMES

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

Frank:

There could be a couple things going wrong here, but it all may be related to the same thing.

Do you still get the bad command or file name error message? If you get it each time you boot, then something is messed up in your autoexec.bat and/or config.sys. (If you don't know what in the world I am talking about, that is ok...just make a note if the error happens everytime you boot.) When you boot the computer and the windows logo shows up, press the ESC key (top left). This will show text messages as the computer loads....look for the bad command or file name. If the logo shows up again, hit ESC again.

Windows will run in safe mode if it doesn't boot properly. Once it has run in safe mode, on a reboot it will run normally again...so that may be why it was in safe mode then "fixed" itself.

The color problem could be related to your display. Try right-clicking on your desktop, click properties. Click the settings tab on the window that opens. There is a pulldown box that shows the number of colors that can be displayed on the screen at one time. If it is 256, you should change it to 16-bit. If it is 16, then try changing it to 256. If it is already 16 or higher, or you can't change it, then post back on that.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank licea on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 07:54 am:

OK, heres what happened. I conected to the internet but while explorer was loading I got this bluescreen that had something about a "fatal exeception" and "the current aplication will be terminated." Shoot, I am so sorry that I didn't notice the numbers or details. I know that would have helped but im new at this whole computing thing, so that won't happen again, anyway my comp restarted but during all that startup text it pauses after the Windows logo. Then it says "Bad command or file name" it then goes into SafeMode. The wierd thing is that after a couple of times of trying to fix this myself (The wierd part is that I realy didn't do anything.) it runs Windows fine but when ever I bring up a window or minimize it flickers with a bunch of wierd colors.(Thats never happened before.) If any of you have any way to help me or an explaination or need to know more details to help, please tell me. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page