The NEW Newbie Club

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: The NEW Newbie Club
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Three questions  4   10/05 07:29pm
How do I enable sound for everything Other than my music CDs?  2   02/07 04:22am
Turning off computer at night  2   05/16 06:41pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

Mary, Tom, and Peggy:

Hey Mary, I am quite impressed with the clock reference.... and the clinic is great. I have solved a complicated problem using it in a few days.

Tom! I was JOKING when I said I wanted my name "in lights"! Hmmm...evidently, some people didn't know I was kidding around. Oh well, I won't lie ... it shocked the mess out of me when I saw that! :)

Peggy, I have had a similar problem in the past with speakers. Where I used to live, sometimes a truck would drive by, and if they were talking on a radio, the speakers would pick it up. And LOUD. I mean, the first time (and second time) that happened, it scared me pretty good. I thought I was hearing voices....got a little worried about myself. But anyway, I think the problem is that there is some device interference between the speakers and something else.

While the computer is on and speakers are on, unplug the speakers from the back of the computer, and see if that kills the noise. If that doesn't do it, unplug the speakers from the electrical socket, and take them into another room. Plug them in, and see if the noise quits.

If that fixes it, then that means something in the room where your computer is located is creating the interference. It could be the computer itself... check and see what electronic devices are in that room and turn them all off except the computer. If the problem persists, you may want to try moving the whole computer system to check that, but it is probably the computer creating the problem. I am guessing the monitor? Try turning off the monitor while the computer is on to see if the noise quits.

Lots of fun stuff to do. If it ends up being the computer, I would suggest buying some new speakers that are a little pricier (is that a word?), but that will help avoid the interference problem.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

Hey, Josh!

I see you got your name up on the front page of the forum! "Josh Lowe repairs clocks"! :-)

Just want to say, I hope, too, the forum continues, and thanks to all of you who take the time to answer our newbie questions! It's very much appreciated.

I'm excited about the Clinic at the same time. I haven't had to use it yet. Fortunately, everything seems to be working okay for me--again thanks to you guys! But it's nice to know it's there if I should need it. I just hope it doesn't get abused so it's discontinued.

Anyway, thanks for the great job, guys.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

Hi Peggy,

You know I'm the master of smart alec responses, so here goes...

Snap Crackle and Pop quit working for Kellogg's because the rice doesn't really stay crisp in milk. They have invaded your speakers, setting up shop there for the forseeable future.

And now you know why breakfast cereal is so expensive.

Best,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:21 am:

I've tried using the Newbie Club Clinic.
Twice now I have asked the same question about noise (snap, crackle, pop sounds) coming from my speakers a good deal of the time. But I have not gotten a response yet. Why not?

Peggy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:01 pm:

Woo hoo!

Richard, you're the best! :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

Can't do much about the front page, this will have to do.

JOSH LOWE ROCKS!!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:18 am:

Hey I got an idea:

Since we did all this talking, Tom posted this message on the entry page saying "The Discussion Forum Rocks!"

Well Tom, I have such low self-esteem, it sure would be nice to see "JOSH LOWE ROCKS!" on the front page in red. Man, that would make my day.

Well, even in blue would be alright....

Josh

(For those that are too serious, I am being silly, I don't mean anything in this post.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 09:16 pm:

Tom's Thoughts: Life is interaction with others. Without the give and take of the marketplace of ideas, and the exchange of thought that occurs in a forum environment, "life on the Web" would be nothing more than cold cyberspace. The discussion forum gives life. It is vital to the growth and education of all of us.

The Newbie Club™ Clinic, though in its trial stage, gives the Newbie and not-so-Newbie a place to seek immediate solutions to problems that may not get answered in such timely fashion in the Forum.

This forum is all that I had hoped it would be, and is becoming even more. And I thank you for making it a success.

Tom Glander

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Donald Dunham on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 05:54 pm:

The Newbie Club would not be complete with out both ,the forum and the Clinic.The forum is a must for members to keep in "touch" with other members,the clinic is a must for upper tech problems.
What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 02:13 am:

Hi Josh,

Just thought I would let you know that I contacted the clinic earlier this week about the scanner, they are trying to sort out this problem for me, heres hoping !!!!!!!!

Cheers

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 12:03 am:

Thank you Tom for posting the notice that the forum will stay, you have set my mind at ease.

:o)

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:37 pm:

I too, check in to this forum almost daily, and sometimes more often than that, just to see what questions are being asked. I read every post, whether it pertains to me or not, thats called "lurking" isn't it? :o) If I see something that I think I might have use of later, I print it out and save it. I have a pretty decent library of solutions printed from here and other forums. Just because I don't happen to have a problem with anything today, doesn't mean that I won't have a need for a solution to a problem later.

I hope that newbies continue to post their problems here and that Tom allows this forum to continue. Yes, the new clinic may be the way to go if you can't find the solution here, but, then only the person that submits the question will get the answer. When you post your problem here, the solution may help literally hundreds of people solve the same problem. Some of us may have not even known we had a problem (thought that was how it was supposed to work!!!) until we saw the solution.

I am not knocking the clinic, I am sure it will be helpful, I would just like this forum to stay intact.

By the way, I am not a "Freeloading" lurker, I have purchased virtually every e-book that Tom has offered for sale. (Even helped him write the original "Windows for Newbies" about two years ago, he did all of the work, I just did the proof reading and acted as a sounding board for him, if I could understand it, anyone could, as I was a VERY raw "Newbie"). "What is a Window??? Folder???
File??? etc., etc.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 05:52 pm:

Hey Arline:

Good points in what you say.

The clinic is a good idea, and I suggest you attempt to solve your scanner problem with that also. Perhaps that is how things will go. People used to the forum will use it, and if a problem is not solved, they will consult the clinic.

Either way, all of these things are here to help.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 05:01 pm:

NEWBIES, DON'T DESERT THE FORUM.

I for one, of all the many users will continue to check back each day to the forum. Although I haven't been "active" so to speak for several weeks, I still pop in to see whats going on and have found answers to several problems just by looking (although the scanner is still defeating me Josh) and I will continue to visit each day. I hope all you newbies will continue to support the forum so it can prosper as it has done up to now.
The clinic is a good idea, in my mind, for specific problems that would be too long and involved to answer in this forum, but for good old fashioned advice and help you can't beat the "one to one" that is available here from Josh and all the others willing to give their help and knowledge to us, without predjudism or personal gain, but with a lot of compassion and understanding, because they know what our struggles and frustrations are all about, "they have been there", and they Want to help us.

Thank you Josh, Jamie, Tom, Richard and all the others of you who care.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:55 am:

Hey Richard:

I understand a lot of what you are saying. Tom emailed me a few days before the new site launch and asked for my feedback on the clinic and the other new features. So... I will share my thoughts with you too (don't you feel lucky!) :)

The forum has been a great place for people to ask questions and have a group of people answer them. The clinic, in a way, does take over a lot of the purpose of the forum. That does not mean that the forum is dead or anything. I plan to continue visiting this forum every day, as I have done for a good while now, and answer any questions that I can. I love having problems to help with, because it helps keep me on my toes. Of course, it doesn't just have to be a forum for computer related issues, it can be general discussion too, I assume.

So, yes, the forum will probably drop in usage for computer related questions. And yes, there has been a good deal of information exchanged here which is still online and can be used by other people. But.... everyone who posts answers to questions on the forum are all volunteers, and that means that there is an inconsistency with the level of help. For example, someone may post a question that goes unanswered for several days. That pales in comparision to 3-4 hours.

The Clinic is an impressive step by TNC to help people new to the internet. Frankly, I don't know how they can afford to pay these techies and offer the service for free...and I think it goes to show how committed Tom and Rob are to TNC. No, I am not kissing butt... I really do think that. :)

Man, I have beat around the bush with this response, so don't let me drag on further. I think the clinic is a great addition to the site as a whole, even if it detracts from TNC forum. I used the clinic for a problem I didn't know how to solve a few days ago for a customer of mine, and I got a response back promptly. The first suggestions didn't work, but I was able to get more instructions and suggestions... TWO more times and it finally worked. So, I think it will be a great feature to TNC.

Did any of that make any sense, or did I just talk in circles? I do that a lot...

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

Does the introduction of the "New" Newbie Club (Members Only) with the "Doc" clinic, spell the end of this forum, or will this continue? I have often learned from the questions that are asked here, even though at the time, they did not pertain directly to my problems.

I greatly appreciate the time and effort Josh has expended answering our various questions (along with Jamie and many other helpful souls). Hate to see this forum replaced with a impersonal clinic where you take a number and wait for your answer. I may be jumping to conclusions about the new clinic being impersonal,(as I have not used it yet) but, doubt that it will be as interactive as this forum.

Plus, there has been a lot of information sharing going on here between users that cannot be duplicated by a "take a number and ask your question" clinic. If I am jumping to conclusions about this forum maybe going the way of the Dodo bird, then I apologize. Just hate to see a GREAT resource disappearing (If, in fact, it is going to). Not "crying Wolf", just wondering.

Richard

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page