How to stop SPAM!!!

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: How to stop SPAM!!!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 08:30 am:

Josh,
Thank you for answering my question.
I'll take your advice about setting up a secondary e-mail account. I may just use the secondary one for my personal stuff and keep the primary (spam infested) e-mail account as a catch all. (did that make sense??)
Anyway, I'll be making some changes.
And by the way, JOSH LOWE ROCKS!!!
(I just had to say that(grins) )

Peggy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:10 pm:

Peggy:

It is good that you view full headers with your email messages. Unless it is a legitimate Spam (I know, sounds like an oxymoron), but anyway, NEVER respond saying "unsubscribe" or something like that. More than likely, that is used just to get proof that you read the email.

Also, things are starting to get even worse with Postel services. This lets you find out when someone reads an email you send. This is good when you need to verify when an important email is read, but it gives spammers the opportunity to use the same service.

You can use it to try it out... no sign up, 30 free uses a month:
If you want to send an email to josh@dyno-mite.com, then you would send it to:
josh@dyno-mite.com.confirm.to (this will send you a verification when the email is read.)

Try it out....kinda scary.

Now, best way to rid spam? Tough. It is a constant problem, and there really is no good solution.... you can buy some email filtering programs which will help deal with some of the bulk, but never everything.

You CAN fight back, though. There is a service called SpamCop, and it allows you to post full header email messages and report spam. It searches the email and sends the proper emails out to system administrators to make sure that spam account gets taken care of. True, they will create another one by tomorrow, but this constant attack by email users does at least slow them down.

Wanna sign up? (it is free)

http://spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

A word of advice: Setup a secondary free email account, and use that when signing up for any service, filling out a survey, sending e-cards, doing anything online with your email address. Unless you completely trust the company that wants your info, give them your secondary address.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 09:47 am:

Is there a way to successfully stop spam?
My e-mail address is being put on mailing lists with out my permission and I have been receiving juck mail that is really really not wanted. I block senders and others just keep sending. I am sick of it! I have tried setting my header at "full" to get the ISP sender and then sending a forwarded e-mail copy to what I thought was the last listed "received ___" listed there, but Hotmail sent back a response saying that they were not the ISP. (hair pulling moment break)
Anyway, what can I do? Is there any escape other than just giving up on my e-mail address and changing to another? (help-help-help)

Peggy

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page