Turning off computer at night

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: The NEW Newbie Club: Turning off computer at night
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

Anon:

It is really a personal choice. If you use your computer quite often, then it might be best to leave it on 24/7. It consumes much more electricity to turn a computer on, off after 30 minutes, and back on 30 minutes later than leaving it on during that time. The only concern of leaving it on 24/7 is electricity costs...obviously, if it is on all night, it consumes electricity. The computer is not harmed at all by being on 24/7. You will upgrade the computer long long before it would ever wear out. The only other concern with leaving it on all the time is lightning storms....in something like that you should either have a Universal Power Supply (UPS), or unplug the computer, monitor, AND PHONE LINE.

Now, that last paragraph I did a lot of rambling... so let me try to finish up. Leave the computer on 24/7 if you use it a lot during the day. However, I don't see why you should leave it on 24/7 if you don't use it very often. For example, with my home computer, I turn it on when I go to use it in the morning, and just leave it on till I go to bed that night. Doesn't harm anything.

Hope that clarifies things a little bit?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

Josh, I have been told that I should leave my computer 24/7. My husband strongly disagrees!!! Please give me some reasons for doing one or the other. I appreciate the assistance you give to all us newbies! Thank you!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page