Tower access  1   01/06 08:52pm
Why are all these running on start-up?  30   08/20 10:38pm
IE and Error Message shuts down  3   03/24 07:51pm
Printer Problem  3   02/02 04:00pm
ISP Connection  1   01/18 01:55pm
Internet access time limiter  2   01/07 09:26pm
Explorer bar freezing  2   10/29 04:02pm
HTML Editor  1   08/26 03:36am
Using my own start up and shutdown messages with sound recorder  2   10/23 08:51am
Screen Resolution  1   07/22 10:52am
Multiple Problems  5   07/18 06:21pm
Program file names  1   05/24 12:25pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By KC on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 02:47 am:

I purchased/downloaded speedupmypc. When I try to open the product my pc screams "Error starting program, file appears to be corrupt" and "invalid format". I asked uniblue systems for help and they said to go to "GoZilla" and download their program (which cost $29.95). Uniblue is not responding to my request for a "hard" copy. Its not right to purchase one product only to have to go to another site to purchase another to make it work. Can anybody help make speedupmypc work?
Thank you,
KC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lionheart on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:57 am:

I found the way to stop Adobe Reader and the WinBackUp from coming up every time I started my computer. If anyone else should have the same problem, this is the path I took to fix it.
Start>Run>Type:msconfig>click OK
Go to Startup Tab and uncheck programs you don't want to start. DO NOT UNCHECK Antivirus or Task Monitor.
If anyone sent me an email, I didn't receive it, I've had a little problem with a pesky worm, that's all taken care of now! :o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lionheart on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:19 pm:

Hi everyone! I have been having a problem since I downloaded the package that includes: WinBackUp and SpeedUpMyPc. Every time I start my computer, I have to wait for Adobe Reader to come up, then WinBackUp contents page comes up. I have gone in and checked my Start Up Programs, or whatever you call it, and the problem is not there. I have tried to go into the program itself but have had no luck there either. How do I get this to stop coming up? Thanks for all your help!

Jiselle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By groeneveld on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 03:29 am:

Can someone help me to find a way to change the protocols for e-mails in MS outlook. When I receive e-mail with the link "mailto:" the program goes to an e-mail program that was uninstalled a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, November 09, 2001 - 10:26 pm:

Mack - buy some non-20.00 speakers.

Just go to a local computer place and buy some nice speakers. That should solve the problem. I had the same issue with trucks passing buy the place I used to live - and the cb would be quite loud on the computer speakers. New speakers fixed the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mack A Smith on Thursday, November 08, 2001 - 11:06 pm:

I have a am radio station about 1\2 mile from me. My problem is the station comes in over my speakers, even when my pc is off. Also, when I move my mouse I can hear it over my speakers. Only does it when I'm at the desktop with no programs running. Any help? Thanks, Mack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 04:35 am:

Hey Robert:

The scandisk that is run, is it text-based, or windows-based? No clue? Ok, does the scandisk take up the entire screen and have a bar that runs across the bottom? Are the buttons made of text, like: < EXIT > ?

Or, is scandisk in a regular, normal, window?

Do you use Windows 95, 98, or ME?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Cremeans on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

Hi,I hope I am in the right place.I am new and I have a problem,I hope some one can help me with.
When I boot up, scan disk comes on and runs,after scan disk runs it clicks(I don't click it,it does it by it's self)and then runs scan disk again and repeats this over and over. It post's up all the way to loading the operating system,then the problem.Any one have any idea how to make it load the operating programs? I would sure appreciate any help any one can give. Thanks in advance,
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 12:08 pm:

By deleting most or all of the sub-menu listings in the "Start", "Programs", "StartUp" folder, this will prevent those programs from loading and running after startup.

By right-clicking some of the program icons in the taskbar, looking for a "Preferences" or "Options" listing, then looking for and selecting a "Disable" or "Close" option, this will do the same thing.

Too many programs set themselves up to load and run after startup. This creates a memory and performance load on your computer and slows it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 07:42 am:

HTH = hope this helps
BTW = by the way
LOL = laugh out loud
DNO = do not open
W8 = wait

There's lots more.

They're Geek Speak abbreviations - usually used in chat rooms and boards where speed of reply and ease of use are important.

C ya

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Thursday, October 12, 2000 - 03:41 am:

Jamie,
Thanks for your time and efforts. Your help is appreciated very much. Also, thanks for the promotion to "Novice Geek" :o).

I have to ask, what do the initials "HTH" stand for at the end of each of your postings? Told you I was a curious fellow!!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 07:22 pm:

Richard

Sounds to me like configsafe is definitely a crash protector - just leave it.

The address bar on the taskbar is a major resource hog - effectively you're launching IE5 in the background. You're just as quick to to add URL's to Favourites and then use start/favourites.

As for Regclean, it's a fairly old utility. Try a web search or a search on www.microsoft.com, 'cos they produced it.

Also dump any quick launch shortcuts you're not using. Simply drag them off the bar to the desktop.

The Quick Launch bar is a great wee tool, so make use of it.

The results you're getting are as good as you can expect, so well done.

If you're looking for some more advanced stuff, head on over to Fred Langa's site (http://www.langa.com) and subscribe to his Newsletter. In particular, read all about the cleanall batch files.

Richard, a word of warning. Fred deals in DOS, so read all of the documentation VERY carefully. DOS is very unforgiving.

You've now advanced to Novice Geek.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 05:33 pm:

Jamie,

I think the reason I had Personal Web Server is because I have Front Page 2000 on my PC. I just unchecked it and my start-up time has decreased to 1 minute, 45 seconds from 2 minutes. Onward & upward :o).

When I right click on ConfigSafe, all I get is a small window titled "CONFIGSAFE 95/98" that asks "would you like to terminate Configsafe Autocheck?" On the startup page the path is : C:\CSAFE\AUTOCHK.EXE. Thats all I can find on it.

As for RegClean, I cannot find it anywhere, I looked in "My Computer" and "Aptiva, C" using RegClean.exe - .zip and *. Nothing shows up.

The only icons that are on my "Quick Launch" bar are IE-OE-Desktop-Channels. I have my address bar down there too so I can type in an address without having to open a page. I prefer it to be on the bottom (after 2 years, I have grown accustomed to its face.)

Just launched the Resoure Meter and it says 85-85-89, before I opened anything it said 95-95-99, that is pretty good isn't it?

Hey, I just found ConfigSafe by looking for CSAFE, here is a short portion from the read me file for it:------------------------------------
ConfigSafe lets you quickly resolve problems by:

- Identifying changes to your Registry(1), INI Files,
System Hardware, Network Connections, and
operating system software versions.
- Restoring a system to a previously working configuration
in just seconds.
RESTORING YOUR SYSTEM
---------------------
---------------------
ConfigSafe lets you restore your system files and Registry(1) to
a previously working system configuration. In seconds, ConfigSafe
restores you to a working configuration. To do so, select the
RESTORE button on the ConfigSafe main screen. Then, follow the
instructions to restore your system to how it was on the specified
date.

If you cannot run Windows, boot into DOS mode, run the SOS
utility while in your ConfigSafe subdirectory. Do not run
SOS from the Windows 95 DOS box.

If you make a mistake, select the UNDO button and ConfigSafe will
bring your system back to the configuration before you did the
restore.

Does this identify it for you? Sounds like a good program if you needed it.

Thanks again,

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - 09:54 am:

Richard

A lot of programs install an icon in your system tray by default - 99% of the time, this means they are running in the background and taking up resources (ad-supported freeware is a particular culprit). Some of them even "pre-launch" to make their launch quicker when you click on the icon - more resources wasted! It's more efficient for your system if you keep the icons on the tray to a minimum. For frequently-used programs, simply create a desktop shortcut and drag it to your taskbar as you seem to have done. My preference is set the taskbar to "Always On Top", which makes easier to multi-task. Just for info. purposes, I've got 5 icons in my tray and 19 shortcuts on the Quick Launch bar (running a 677 processor on a 30GB machine with 128 RAM)

The ones you've got are necessary, with one definite and one possible exception.

You mention that you've had the machine from new - so I'm surprised to see the Personal Web Server icon there. This is used to test code and web pages that you've designed before uploading them to a live server. Given that you're a Trainee Geek (I quite like that phrase - www.traineegeek.com is now registered!), you either launched it by accident or someone else has been using your machine. Either way, you can get rid of it by unticking inetinfo.exe in your startup group (for anyone who doesn't know how to do this, hit Start, select Run, type "msconfig" without the quotes and click on the Start Up tab).

The one that has me puzzled is ConfigSafe. I assumed that was a System file, but now I'm less sure. Generally speaking, system files don't reside in the System Tray. I can't find it on my machine, so I'm wondering if perhaps it's some sort of crash protector (e.g. Norton etc). Right click on it and see what it says. You should have an option to remove the icon. But if it is a crash protector, this won't make any difference as the program will and needs to run in the background.

Shortcuts on your desktop do not mean that the programs are running in the background - they take up very little resources. Cosmetically, you could move them to the Quick Launch bar to free up some screen "real estate". Deleting the shortcut after that won't cause any problems (as long as you're sure it's shortcut. Right-click, Properties/General and look under Type or look for the little arrow on a white background attached to the icon).

One other thing you can do is give your Registry a clean. Look for a file called RegClean.zip or .exe and follow the instructions. It'll clean up any corrupt entries (if it's a zip file, unzip it to a directory of its own so you can easily use the undo file if necessary). What it won't do is remove any redundant entries, but that's really an area for experts only. NOTE: anytime you play with the Registry, backing it up first is vital. So once RegClean is finished, backup the Undo file to a floppy or CDR drive.

Your configuration is fine if you're not using any high-end graphics applications. However, programmers aren't as concerned about saving space as they used to be (hence the term Bloatware), so you might want to consider a new processor and extra Ram for Christmas!

And don't worry about asking questions - you'll have an opportunity to pass the favour on in the future, just as everybody answering questions on this Board is doing.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rbfsr@wvi.com on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 11:17 pm:

Jamie,

Used the wildcard to find MSDTC, found 8 items, none of which tell me much. When I tried to open them it said they were being used and could not be accessed. No problem, I was just curious anyway.

I have 5 icons showing in my system tray, plus the clock and Internet connection, they are "Task Scheduler"-"Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect enabled"-"Volume"-"Configsafe Autocheck"-"Personal Web Server is stopped", and sometimes that dang "MSN Messenger Service, not logged on" (whenever I open Outlook Express, it shows up).

You said to move some of my programs to "Quick Launch Bar". I am a bit confused, do you mean programs that I have shortcuts to on my desktop(there are 17, plus the ones that were there when I first turned on the computer when it was new)? Does the fact that I have short cuts on my desktop mean that each of those programs are running in the background all of the time? If so, do I just click & drag them to the quick launch bar and then delete them from my desktop?

Right now while I am writing this and I have 2 windows open, the resource meter says I have : System 73%-User 73%- GDI 86%. Earlier, with no windows open, I had 85-85-95(I think).
My PC is an IBM, Aptiva E3U, 350MHZ- AMDK6 with 64MB RAM and 8GB HD, it will be two years old in Dec. Running W98SE (which I just installed, RE: IE5.5 on this forum)

I really am a bona-fide "newbie" so please don't think I am trying to waste your time with my many questions.

Thank You Again,

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 06:21 pm:

Forgot something. The additional Profile could also be something like a Power Management profile, (as in power saving). None of these wil make any significant dent in your start time.

Question: how many icons have you got in your System tray once start up has finished?

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 06:11 pm:

Richard

It's an exe file, i.e. a program, that calls a number of DLL files (Dynamic Link Libraries). My File Manager is heavily customised, so I can't remember if you can use wildcards in clean versions of File Manager - but you could try using this phrase, MS????????.* and the Find tool to locate them (just out of curiosity).

Without trying to pick it apart, my guess is that it sets up the DOS Shell environment. If that is the case, your system will not function without it.

The 1 minute connection to the Internet is all the 'hand shaking' going on between your modem and ISP - quite normal.

Two minutes for start up is a bit excessive. But it's governed by how many programs you've got running and your system resources, particularly your processor. Why not move some of them to the Quick Launch bar instead? It'll save time and resources.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 04:49 pm:

Jamie,
Mostly just curiosity, that, and the fact that I like to know what is going on with my PC. :o)
There has never been more than one user on my PC, so don't know how the number 7 got there twice.
I don't use the task scheduler, I do them manually.
I thought maybe if some of these programs could be safely turned off, that it might speed up the initial loading time, it currently takes about 2 minutes for everything to load, plus another 1 minute to dial-up to the internet. I have nothing to compare to, so don't know if this is fast, slow, or somewhere in between.
Could you possibly identify number 9 for me (MSDTC)? Again this is curiosity.
Thank you,

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 09:04 am:

Richard

1 - sets up your system tray (clock etc). Best to leave it.

2 - checks your system configuration - don't touch.

3. scans and does a backup of your registry. Reverts to previous saved version if registry is corrupted - don't touch.

4 - runs scheduled tasks (defrag etc). No real benefit to turning it off, so best to leave it.

5, 6, 8 - 10 - System files and are best left alone.

Number 7 suggests there are two users for your machine. Unchecking this means your passwords and desktop configuration will not be loaded and you'll have to do it manually (you can play around with settings for each user via Control Panel/users.

Post a message explaining why you want to turn them off anyway. There's probably another solution.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 05:45 am:

I have the following items loading on startup. Can someone tell me what each one is, does, and whether or not I can remove the check in the box without messing something up?
1. System Tray
2. Configsafe
3. Scanregistry
4. Taskmonitor
5. AtiCwd32
6. ATIKey
7. LoadPowerProfile (Twice)
8. PWS Tray
9. MSDTC
10. Inetinfo.exe

Thank you,
Richard

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page