Multiple Problems

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Start Up Items: Multiple Problems
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Going from bad to worse.  3   07/20 07:04pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sherry Swett on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 07:13 am:

OK, thanks a lot. I just got this message so will check it as soon as I get a chance. Work takes up too much of my time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

Sherry,

First and foremost, check the video card. Having the wrong video drivers installed can cause all of the black screen delay before boot, and the problems with display in windows.

Restart the computer in safe mode: During boot, press F8 key (or CTRL, depending on machine) continuously until a screen comes up with options to choose from. If you get the Windows 98 screen, restart and try again, it won't respond to F8 once the starting windows screen is up.

Select Safe mode from the options given. Take notice of how long it takes to boot into safe mode. Does the delay with the flashing curser still exist? Once booted, hit OK to the window that opens.

Next, right-click on My Computer, and go to properties. Click on the device manager tab.

*Before proceding further, MAKE SURE you have your video card software with you. It should be on a CD-Rom.

Click the + sign next to Display Adapters. Write down exactly what it lists there. How many are there? You should only have one, but sometimes more than one are in there, and that can cause a problem. Either way, write down what is there, and since you have located your video card software, highlight the display adapter and hit the "remove" button. If you have more than one, remove the additional adapter also.

*Make a note of whether or not this causes your computer to lock up...that is an important thing to post back with.

Ok, after this is done, click start/shutdown, restart.

Windows will now boot normally. Once again, take notice of whether or not the delay with the flashing cursor occurs. I am betting it will not.

Once booted into windows, you will notice your screen colors messed up, and perhaps the size of yoru screen will be larger. This is because windows is using a standard device driver for your video, not the one that comes with it. If it pops up a window saying "windows has found new hardware and is installing software, click CANCEL. Be sure that you do not allow windows to install it automatically.

Ok, now insert your video card cd-rom in the drive. It should start automatically. If not, double-click my computer, double-click your cd-rom drive, and double-click Setup.exe.

Go through the complete setup process, do not skip any step in it, such as skipping the installation of some secondary software. Install it all and let it run a normal installation.

Your computer will reboot upon completion. If all goes well, it should boot without any problems associated with the delay or video problems inside windows.

Post back and let us know how that worked, if it didn't, we will try something else, if it did, we will look at any other problem you have.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sherry Swett on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 09:51 pm:

We got a computer which we put together ourselves so have no support to call. We have Windows 98. When it boots up it takes a long time, so long it seems it's not going to come up. Windows 98 screen comes up, then goes black for almost a minute, then a flashing cursor in upper left corner for a little bit, then the desktop comes on.

Also when we clicked on Add New Hardware the screen went black and never came back so we had to shut it down with the button.

Our modem sounds really funny, not just the regular funny but it connects. The line drops more than it should.

And just a few minutes ago on this website I got black lines flashing across the screen and it froze up. It was OK when I started it back up.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page