Anti-virus programs

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Anti-virus programs
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
TROJAN VIRUS FOUND  2   01/31 07:54pm
AVG test results  2   01/24 08:50pm
Windows XP Hotfix  2   01/18 11:59pm
Please Help Me :O(  2   04/08 01:53pm
AVG Anti virus good, but.....  4   03/31 01:30pm
Newbie Security Offer  1   03/30 06:11pm
SULFNBK.EXE Confirmation Question  6   07/11 05:05pm
Virus in Windows 98  1   04/12 09:42pm
HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW INNOCULATEIT VIRUS CAN IS SET?  2   01/30 07:55pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 11:05 am:

The free edition is limited - it's fine for home use, but you get no technical support.

If you've downloaded a version of AVG, you'll need to install it. If you've bought a license, you can enter the license number here:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_prod.php
and it will tell you which version to download.

Basically, the higher the version number of a program, the more recent it is.
Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 03:21 am:

Hi just uninstalled McAfee and when I read about AVG 6 or 7 version., I am confused. There is also some free edition. I run version 6 isp, and windows 98. Don't I need to Install the AVG 6?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By greencgk on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 01:54 am:

How often do you need to get new virus scanner discs? I have seen several are free. Had McAfee and now where doI go to make sure that is deleted properly before using another brand? I used to be able to scan and was notified if I needed to renew, now I do not. In fact, if I click on virus scan, my monitor goes black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

I am running win98se everything runs great until I install any anti virus program. When I do that and start windows it boots ok goes to the desktop screen and freezes. I must turn off at the plug start again scandisk runs and the same thing happens again. I go into safe mode take out the antivirus program restart and all works great. Have got rid of all former virus programs done the lot its got everyone I know beaten, can anyone help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

We use SOPHOS as our virus checker and have been very pleased with it - does anyone else have feedback on Sophos?

Lesley
PS I have to post as anonymous also. Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By DavidSellers on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:04 am:

Hi every one maybe some one can help me out.
I downloaded AVG to my wife,s PC. She has
AOL7.0 now i she can,t signe online,or do anything. Pc keeps saying shortcut moved
are something on that line I'm to new to
Pc to figure out what i did wrong Hope some one can help Thanks
david

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy Claflin on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

I was just going through the posts here and saw the post about the SULFNBK virus. Since I run AVG and Norton I thought " let's see". Guess what there it was!!!! I scheduled the AVG for everyday and Norton once a week and neither of these caught it!
I have a question though that may have something to do with this. When I check the reports on Norton it says that the files were not checked because it couldn't log on. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks for any info.
Also does anyone know how to lock down the computer with one key while I am on vacation? I know I have seen it somewhere but for the life of me can't find it anywhere! Will use the Windows password for now.
It's too bad that Keyboard Magic doesn't work for Win 2000 :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Walker on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:03 pm:

Roland,
I have found that one of the best ways to find out if an e-mail is a hoax, a scam, or an urban legend is to use a search engine to get information. I personally prefer Google at www.google.com. Just enter the item you are being warned about, in your case SULFNBK. When I did this the first thirty results all concerned the SULFNBK hoax.
This is a particularly good action to take before forwarding on an e-mail that contains a dire warning and ends with “…and send this to all your friends!”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Roland Spofford on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:43 pm:

Thanks Richard. I suspected it was a hoax. I half recall seeing it before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 02:36 am:

Roland,
Yes, it is a hoax. Go here and you can get the information on it;
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/sulfnbk.html
This has been around for over a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Roland Spofford on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:02 am:

I received this email and I think it is a hoax. Any help would be appreciated - Roland
this is the message:

"This virus is a "sleeping virus". Apparently it comes from Germany and is now in the U.S. It is programmed to activate itself at a later date and, therefore, is not detected by virus scanners. Mine did not detect it. Nobody knows how long it has been going around. When it activates itself, it deletes ALL FILES AND DIRECTORIES ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. It spreads through e-mail.
It hides itself in C://Windows/Command.
Here's what to do:

Click START, then FIND, then FILES OR FOLDERS; type in SULFNBK and search in the "C" drive.
This is an EXE file. If your computer has the virus the program will appear in the search results area. DO NOT OPEN IT! Go to Edit; SELECT ALL, then hit your DELETE key on your keyboard. IMMEDIATELY delete it from your RECYCLE BIN.
That's all. It takes very little time and effort to do. Your computer will now be free from the virus."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 08:31 pm:

I was using Trend PC-cillin but got frustrated with them. Found out it wasn't updating my patterns for a couple months! I recently heard about a free anti-virus program called AntiVir. They have a web site AV.com. So far I like it & it's easy to use. If anybody else has experience (good or bad) with this one, I'd really be interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks, Josh.

I appreciate that info.

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

Dolly - the only time your virus software needs an internet connection is when it is updating the virus definitions.

You don't need it connected to do a scan of your hard drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 04:36 am:

Is it necessary to leave your computer on an internet connection through the night in order to do a scheduled virus scan during that period?

Thanks,
Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chaz on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

I also downloaded the AVG after reading about it here. It has detected two viurses in the last week, and said they had to be put in the "virus vault". I looked for info on what to do next, but can't find any. Do I just leave them in the vault? Also, what I don't understand is it detected them when it did a complete scan, which I have scheduled every morning at 4 am. So, does that mean that they were in the system and if so, how did they make it that far without detection?
thanks,
chazz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:31 pm:

Anon, yes, you can run a full-scan on your c drive by following that method.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 04:15 am:

Could someone please tell me how do you do a full system scan? Is that right clicking on Local Disk "C" in the control panel and click to scan for virus? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:39 am:

Thanks, Josh.

I'm really pleased to hear that it's okay to run more than one, and I'm definitely keeping them updated regularly.

Also, I plan on taking your advice about scanning attachments for viruses before opening them.

Appreciate your good advice.
Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 09:49 pm:

Dolly,

Your machine will run fine with several virus programs running in the background. More important that having several programs is making sure that at least one of them is kept up to date. I cannot stress that enough.

You should run liveupdate for Norton EVERY DAY. You can schedule those updates. Also, run a full virus scan every week. This applies to whatever program you are using. Make sure you keep it up to date.

It also helps to use caution when dealing with email messages. Never, ever open an attachment without first scanning it for a virus. You can scan by simply right-clicking the file and choosing scan for viruses. Even if it comes from someone you know... many new viruses will email themselves to people in the victim's address book, making it appear your friend has sent you something, when in actuality, it is a virus.

Use caution and stay updated and you should be fine, whether you use one program or 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:06 pm:

Hi Richard,

Yes, I also wonder if I should be running two, but I did read somewhere not long ago, and it might have been on this message board, that someone had gotten a virus, and had been running three virus programs.

She mentioned that neither of the two caught it (and I think it might have been even more than the two) but another one had caught it. So therefore, I just think that perhaps one may have some benefits that another doesn't, and I'm not smart enough to really figure that out on my own.

I also am very good at deleting things that I shouldn't and finding out too late. I guess I have a mental block now about this.

Thanks for your opinion, and I do value it.

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

Dolly,
If you aren't having any problems, then you must be alright. I did have a conflict between Norton and McAffee (and so did my sister). Caused me to have freeze-ups, and after we un-installed McAffee, our problems went away. If you have faith in one anti-virus, what need would you have for more than one, unless another does something that the first one doesn't? I make no claims to being an "Expert", just sharing what I THINK I have learned from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

I'm running AVG and PC-cillin and so far, no trouble with anything conflicting, at least as far as I see.

My cousin is running three and says that it's no problem unless you get one conflicting with another.

Should I not be doing this?

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:43 am:

Vee,
Yes, thats what I did, I had Norton. Go to the add/remove window and uninstall whatever Virus program you have before downloading another. I once downloaded McAfee on top of Norton and it screwed everything up until I uninstalled McAfee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:23 am:

Richard: Thanks for the reply. But because I still have InoculateIT (before it becomes obsolete), would I have to uninstall Inoculate first and then download AVG from Grisoft? Having two virus prog. would create problems no?
Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 01:43 am:

The kind words were well-deserved, Richard, and I'm glad that it's not going to create a problem for me with the OE6. I thought of e-mailing and asking first before checking that box for the plug in, but decided to live dangerously.

This time it worked, but the other night when I decided to do the same with another program, it caused me immense problems, so thanks again.

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:41 am:

Dolly,
I too am using IE6 with OE6, no problems.
Thank you for the kind words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:00 am:

Richard,

I thought I'd posted a reply, but it didn't go through. Thanks so much! It worked. I didn't have the Use Outlook Express 5 Plug in checked, because I'm running OE6. I hope it doesn't make a difference, but it now has the signature!!!!

Thanks so very much. I'd tried the FAQ's and couldn't find anything there or anyplace else. I even asked my cousin who has it, and we couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, so thank you so much. Like I said in the e-mail before, that didn't get posted, you are a wealth of information!!!

Thanks,
Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 01:52 am:

Dolly,
I don't know which e-mail program you are using, the only one I know about is Outlook Express 5 and 6. If you are using OE, right click on the AVG icon by the clock, left click on "Run AVG control Center", when it opens, click on the E-mail Scanner tab, put checks in all boxes including the one by itself on the right side that says "Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin. If you are using OE, that will put the certifcation on your outgoing mail, you can check in your "Sent Mail" folder. I have been told that even though in-coming mail is indeed checked, that in OE it doesn't show.

If you are using a mailer other than OE, I have no information, but If I remember correctly, if you go to AVG homepage they have a good "Frequently asked questions" page. I have been very happy with AVG. Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly wilson on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 09:32 pm:

Hi Arline,

I tried to reply earlier to your post, but must have done something wrong, because I see that it didn't register.

Just wanted to say that I had already asked my cousin whether or not the signature was at the bottom of e-mails that I send to her, and she said it wasn't.

Thanks for your post and if you have any further comments in this regard, I'll be happy to hear them.

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

Hi Dolly,

Don't worry about not being able to see the message at the bottom of your e-mails while you are writing them, after you write your e-mail it is sent through the virus checker and cleared, then the message is put on the bottom for the person who is to receive the mail to assure them that there are no viruses in it. Thats how it was explained to me by AVG.

Hope this helps.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

Richard,

re: the AVG virus program. I downloaded it also after reading about it on this message board, and also after my cousin telling me he was happy with it also.

I have a question though. Why is it that I can't figure out how to apply that signature on outgoing mail that says it's certified virus-free?

I checked everything off in the different areas that I can possibly see that would help me here, but still don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:36 am:

Vee,

Yes, AVG is very straightforward and easy to use. I downloaded it about a month ago and had no problems. If you allow it to automatically up-date, you will always be up to snuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 05:25 am:

I have had InoculateIT for awhile, but afew days ago got a message from them saying that by May 15 the program will be obsolete. The new one will be 'my e-trust' and it will be by paid subscription.

My question: - is this AVG anti virus system downloaded from the net, pretty straight forward & uncomplicated for a very 'new' newbie? Or maybe go with e-trust? Searching for info. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

Hi Anon,

Sorry you didn't find anything of use on the site i left for you but here is another site that should have the info you need,

http://www.hackfix.org

you will have to hunt around following the info links on the left of the screen but just about all the viruses known and how to remove them are on this site.

Sure hope this one helps you.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 04:28 am:

Hi Chazzw, You were right, I did get the virus before I got AVG. I went to the site that Arlne suggested, but I didn't find anything there. I also left an inquiry with Microsoft regarding this and they haven't answered it yet. It doesn't seem like anyone has heard of this problem I am having.
Thanks for you inquiry.

Anonymous

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chazzw on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:24 pm:

Anonymous..I am assuming you got the Nimda.A virus before you downloaded the AVG?? just curious..
thanks,
chazzw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 05:37 am:

Thanks Arline.

I won't get time to do much until this weekend, but I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:50 am:

Hi Anon,

Try this MSN link, it may give you the information you need.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263455

Good luck.

Arline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 04:53 am:

I also have AVG and it is great. I got a Nimda.A virus through outlook express and it infected 572 files. AVG was able to fix most of them, but some are in my Documents folder (it is not in the folders inside the Doc. folder, but in the Doc folder itself)and I don't know how to get rid of this one since it is part of windows and I also have it in the Windows\temp\mep files. Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of these viruses in the Windows files? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

Hi there Joe,

I second that, I have had the AVG from Grisoft for nearly a year now, and its been my saviour many a time, I also feel secure in the knowledge that I can't get nor pass on any viruses.

Cheers,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joe on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

I've had a paid subscription to Mcafee for a year now, but I can't see what I get for my money.

I recently downloaded a free program called AVG from http://www.grisoft.com and it's excellent. It was in fact recommended to me by the techies at The Clinic. Simple to install and use and no cost! Already it has detected two infected emails when they arrived and deleted the viruses automatically. It also checks my out-going emails to ensure no virus is present.

Joe Robson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 12:39 am:

I have a huge problem with Mcafee they assume that everyone has gone to college and studied computers and I asked for help and the guy was no help at all! why is the hawk disabled and firewall is inactive and why do get error messages every time I restart or shutdown and turn on again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:01 am:

There's no need to spend money on anti-virus program - Norton or otherwise. Computer Associates (www.cai.com) produce a program called Innoculate It as a service to the Internet community. It's completely free and nicludes weekly updates. It's all I use and it's all you need.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

Does anyone have any pros or cons on anti-virus programs. The two I am interested in are Mcafee and Norton.(but, I am always open to new avenues)

And is there any advantage or disadvantage as to purchasing them as a download online or to buy a cd from a computer store (CompUSA,Best Buy, etc.)

thanks,
chaz

PS: I don't get this..I am a registered member here, but every time I try to post a message I get "authentication error", so I have to post as "anonymous"

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page