Removing Windows ME

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Uninstalling : Removing Windows ME
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 11:51 pm:

Susie:

There is no way to uninstall winme back to the win98. ME will not let you install on top of it either. Unfortunately, you must reformat to be able to reinstall windows.

Create a boot diskette (start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs, startup disk tab, "create disk"). This will give you dos access.

Boot to this diskette. Type in "format c:". This will erase everything, so be sure that you have your win98 cd key and cd handy...and that any important files you want to save are stored somewhere off of your drive. (If you have a hard disk labelled "d", it is safe to put things there.)

Once reformatted, reboot with the boot diskette still in the floppy drive. At the A:>, type in:

d: [enter] (where "[enter]" is the enter key.. also, replace d with whatever letter your cd-rom is.)

cd win98 [enter]

setup [enter]

this will start the setup process.

Josh (periodically posting)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Susie on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 09:25 am:

I want to remove Win ME and install Win 98. I can't install 98 over ME - ME won't let me. I've tried to do an fdisk but can't get to the c drive without runing windows, so I can't delete something that's running. I do NOT have any disks for the ME - which is one reason I want to uninstall it - I want to be legal, and I do have the disk for 98. Help!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page