Search Engines

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Search Engines
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
CUSTOMIZE SEARCH SETTINGS  2   02/28 11:46pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

>>where can I fine a site that I can offer free tools to anyone that visit my website as a promotional item

What sort of items do you want? I offer free ebooks and programs on my site, but you can also offer e-mail, guest books, etc. It depends on your target audience ... I've built my sites completely with free stuff.

Tell me what you have in mind - I'm a freebie-holic! (I don't think that's a real word!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By walcott1968 on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

where can I fine a site that I can offer free tools to anyone that visit my website as a promotional item

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By snashdotorg on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 04:09 am:

George,

I agree with Josh, and he provides some great links. Another way to professionally manage your reciprocal links is to use http://www.linksmanager.com - though the service costs.

I have actually created a basic guide to website promotion, that simply focusses on *website promotion that works*. The main message, however, is that 'it takes time'. My site's called How I Promote My Website, and it contains links and articles - and everything is free!

http://www.howipromotemywebsite.com/bin/ap.pl?find-out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 03, 2001 - 12:13 am:

Hi George:

Boy, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Search Engine placement is pretty complex and time-consuming work.

#1 - Yes, submission software is pretty useless for a top ranking. However, it can be used effectively to get a website indexed quickly. No top ranking, but at least it will get the site indexed with minimal work. (Unknown tip: If you use this software, DO NOT manually submit url's from the same computer. Why? Because several search engines penalize automatic posters by getting the IP and then not allowing manual submissions to get a high ranking.)

#2 - Meta tags are becoming unimportant. More search engines don't use them at all, and those that do don't give them much importance anymore. A more effective method is creating "doorway pages". Basically, you create a page with your meta tags as regular text (that is a very basic desription, you can find out more about doorway pages, and what search engines like and not like here: http://www.searchengines.com )

#3 - Link popularity is an important factor in search engine ranking. There are a couple ways to get links to your site. The easiest is FFA (free for all) link pages. http://www.worldsubmitter.com will help with that (I think that is the right url). Another way is to trade links with other webmasters. Setup a link page, place links there, and send an email to a webmaster saying that you have linked to their site and would appreciate a reciprical link. (This works best when linking to similar products/services that compliment each other.) There are also programs which you can join to get several links by linking to a few sites. Once again, you can read up on this at http://www.searchengines.com (You can check on your popularity at http://www.marketleap.com

#4 - This time frame varies considerably by engine. I would say a 30 day resubmission. Most engines take a couple weeks before they index your submission. Once that is done, check your keywords to see where you rank. Improve your listing, then resubmit and wait for the results again. It is a constant work in progress.

Best of luck in this endevour...

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By George on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 04:44 am:

We are an IT consulting and development house and we have decided to do something about marketing ourselves more effectively. I am responsible for this and while I have a marketing background I know little about Internet marketing.

Regarding the promotion of our website, I have become somewhat confused. It seems that Content, Updating of content frequently, good keyword meta tags and descriptions (on each web page), and the number of links to your site, are all important factors in getting a good SE ranking.

I have four questions on which I would like advice:
1. I have been using free trial (restricted) versions of inexpensive URL/Website submission software as a free means to get SE listings. I have now read that these are worthless tools and that if you want decent results the submissions to the major SEs should be done manually (and forget about the other 300,000 as they wont produce results.
2. Should I place keyword meta tags on each page of the site? I thought possibly that I should repeat all keywords on each page and add extra keywords that are relevant and specific to each page. (I know I should give each page its own specific description which should tie up with the page content).
3. The number of links to your site seems to be a very important consideration. How do get links without affecting the quality/professional image you are trying to create through your site?
4. How often should I resubmit my site to SEs?

I would be most grateful to anyone who can help me with some of these questions.

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 10:30 pm:

I've often wondered about the claim of some "search engine" top placement guru's, who claim to guarantee the top ten spot. If you pay them $XXX.XX.

The obvious question(s) one should ask of these positioning "Guru's" is:
How many other companies web sites have you submitted that have a similar or possibly the same product or service as 'mine'? And,,, how long is your guarantee for? Until you place the tenth site?
Hmmmmmmm...... Just a little food for thought...
Of course you are correct in your statement of "other" forms of promotion, personally I think the Internet should start a little closer to home. The Internet is growing rapidly and if we start building a 'brand' for ourselves on a local basis the expansion of our web sites will come naturally. Local business can sell to there hometown customers and provide a shopping experience for people who know the web site owners personally. They will be providing a much needed service also, namely, the convenience of being able to place an order with their local hardware (or any other) store at 10:00pm and expect their order to be ready when they stop by on the way home the next day or, even have it delivered... Convenience... That's what the Internet is all about.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Evelyn on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 03:39 pm:

Thanks Tom, Home Biz Seniors and Catchup for the input on my recent post regarding the search engines.

I did, however, make an error when posting. The number of indexed pages were not 1 million, but 1 to 1.5 billion, which makes it even more unrealistic for the majority of people to get listed in the top 10 search engines, and in the top 10-20 pages of those search engines. I understand about search engine positioning and how it is done, and have spent many hours doing it. But, with all due respect to each one of them, they are stewing a pot with few meat scraps for the majority of advertisers.

That may change. While lurking at ClickZ forum today, I read an article by Marcia Yudkin. She was commenting that web documents should be searched more intuitively by terms not included in the document itself.

Replying to her comment, Paul Bruemmer responded that researchers are contemplating a new restructuring of the way search engines work, moving toward a more personal means of indexing the web.

I am not a "newbie" or an "oldie", but have had enough experience with this process, so that if I can encourage "newbies" to concentrate on other means of advertising, as Tom suggests, as well as the search engines, then they will have a much better chance of success, and a lot less frustration.

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:04 am:

RE: Search engines;
That boys and girls is a mighty deep subject!
There is not enough room on this server to cover all the aspects, areas, tips and tricks about search engines, however, here it is in a nut shell.

First off so you now I now a little bit about them try a search on any kind of powertool you want in Alta Vista. You should find Wayne's powertools very close to the top, sometimes several spots.

Now then, with that said, here's the skinny;
Don't waste your money on so called "submission services". (If you really want to spen money on submitting your site send me an e-mail)
Do it yourself works very well.

Don't worry so much about the 2500 or so search engines that these submission services are telling you they will submit your URL to.
The only ones that really matter are the big 10 or 15.

Remember and bear in mind that there are search engines and there are directories. There is a difference. Search engines index your entire site while the directories only include your main page.

The use of "Meta Tags" is paramount. The keyword and description tags must be used, even though not all search engines use them both, most will and more will use the Title and description tags. So the three tags you have to use are Description, Keyword and Title

The keyword tag:
"meta name="Keyword" content="your keyword phrase"" Note:enclose this line with the less than, and the greater than brackets.(I can't use them here because it makes the text disappear)
Don't try to list every word in the dictionary in the keyword tag it's a waste of time. Limit your keywords to no more than 150 characters (including spaces and commas) The search engines will stop at 150 characters.

The Description tag:
Meta Name="Description" content="Your description of your page" again use the brackets. Keep the description down to 250 characters including spaces and punctuation. Make sure you have your keyword phrase included somewhere near the beginning of the description.

The title tag:
This is what you see in the very top bar on your browser, make sure it is relevant to your page and includes your keyword phrase. Don't just name your page "My home page", make it descriptive IE: "Rose gardening and fertilizer page" and make the title of each one of your pages as descriptive as you can about "that" page.
At the beginning of the BODY of your page place your keyword phrase as a HEADING BOLD and LARGE. The search engines look for the first bold text and use that in it's ranking of your site.

One of the biggest mistakes made when creating a web site is trying to put to much into it in one place.

Creating a web site requires one to sit down and decide on a theme. Pick something to build your site around. Something that you can truly become passionate about. Something that you really, really enjoy talking and writing about.

You know that subject that the people closest to you get real, real tired of hearing you talk about, yea, thats what you want to build your site around ;-)

Believe me, there is not one thing that you can dream about that many hundreds of thousands of other people around the world will/do have an interest in. If gardening is your first love, go for it! Don't worry about how many other sites there are about gardening and don't be turned off about seeing 2 million pages come up in your search results at alta vista. Alta vista will return a hit on a web page if it finds just one of your search word on an entire site!.

Try using double quotes on your search string, they will drastically reduce the number of returned pages.

Well, I've rambled on about long enough here, I hope this is a little helpful.
Catchup
PS: If you find this helpful and would like me to post more on search engines just let me know ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Home_Biz_Seniors on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:20 pm:

Evelyn...I fully agree. And with Tom as well!

While there may be millions using the engines daily that means there are only a few hundred thousand using other methods to get info, learn and earn. I'll take my chances with getting the attention of a few from the latter group.

Maybe we are at such a place to learn and earn right here, lol.

Shep

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

Re: Evelyn's post...

I happen to agree. In fact, I think it's rather like a crazy lottery. There are far more profitable avenues to persue than the SEs.

Algorithms change, spiders crawl, and your listing just goes to pot. Maybe it could climb into a pot and hide there.

As for the work and no fun, well, there are entire businesses built on "getting you a number one" spot on Yahoo! or some other SE.

Focus instead on creating excellent material that really serves a need. Create your ezine and faithfully publish it. Network. Get to know other webmasters. Those activities will put you in better stead anyday.

Just my humble opinions, of course. Anyone else?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Evelyn on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:00 pm:

Something has been bothering me for some time.
It has to do with getting a site listed in search engines.

As of now, there are over l00,000,000 pages on the internet. We are told that only those listings in the top 10-20 pages are considered to be worth having or are profitable.

It seems to me that there is a lot of wasted effort here. It is like buying a lottery ticket, only a lot more work and no fun at all.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were all standardized, but it is getting more and more difficult to keep up with their new rules and changes.

The odds of getting there aren't good for the majority of us.

Anyone?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page