How do I get rid of this purple primate!!!!

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: How do I get rid of this purple primate!!!!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Cobranded  1   09/12 01:07pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:10 am:

You can download the free Adaware 6.0 (or the paid versions) at the site below.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:29 am:

An now here is the last part.

These services get on your system and then you can see the rise in spam, pop-up ads, and you can be more vulnerable for possible viruses. Remember, also have a good firewall and a virus checker. There are some really good ones around; some free and some to pay a fee. I hope this helps and if I seem so detailed, I am sorry but it is always better to put in more than very little. I also like to practice my typing. lol

zzmel

PS: I am sorry that I had to divide this up into 4 parts but when you are restricted to only 1kb., how in the world can you write a decent message? I use other forums and they give you much more than the space here. In fact, there is one that offers 100kb. I think that the managers should give a little more space. Off-hand, it took a lot of time, cutting and pasting from a clipboard and still I had to do it seversl times before it was right. Please read the message from bottom to top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:22 am:

Here is Part 3.

You can delete all the files and there will be a prompt if you want to delete all cookies. Don't delete. First check out any suspicious cookies that are listed. Get rid of all the ones that you do not recognize. You will always see spyware, scumware and other junk. Get rid of it. Now in the internet options, click on the tab that says security. Check through each of the icons, and I suggest that have them all set to default. What you are doing is setting the security levels which are generally safe. I use default on most everything. I let the computer handle it. After you run the spychecker program, it will detect most suspicious activities and will alert you to the risk. I just delete them all. I can always get what I need back. Some of the other spyware are: searchco, flyswat, gator, and a host of other's I cannot think of now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:20 am:

This is part 2 of the previous message.

I don't know if you have a spyware detector such as Adaware 6 which is downloaded for free unless you want to get the full version which gives you some more features but you have to pay for the registration. You can get by with the free download. It is really free and recommend it highly. The program will search for Bonzi and others and then you can get rid of them. Go back into the internet options box, the first tab which will open is called general. Look in the address bar. Make certain that bonzi is not there as it will always go to their home page which of course you don't want. Next, go to settings and you will more than likely find thousnads of temp. files along with cookies. Part 3 soon be here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zzmel on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:12 am:

This happened to me too. Not only he was bothersome but a real pest, never goes away and you need him like a hole in the head. Bonzi is hard to get rid of. Here is a few tips that finally worked for me. I do not know which browser you use. If you use the Internet Explorer or any browser that is related to IE, then you can block the cookies by going to tab and click on . you will see a window called privacy action. In the large window you will see what is blocked and what is allowed. If Bonzi is listed as allowed, you will continually get their garbage. In the address window, add whatever URL you want to block such as www.bonzi.com.(not certain if that is the right URL address). You should now see in the window that it is blocked. Sorry I have to write this in several parts. To be continued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By KJVBIBLE1611 on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

How do i get rid of a message at starup..."shell windows" in windows '95
Thank You,
Gary Teresi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By susanne greenwood on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

Hi--I am a newbie who just admitted it here. I have only had puter since09/29/01.Am learning by asking questions of friends,relatives and surfing the net. When I first got aquainted with Bonzi--I thought he was cute---WRONG- he was annoying and trying to get rid of all evidence of him was nerve wracking....Bonzi heading wouldn't leave till I had to do re-boot.Proof positive that you need to be wary when you are not informed.Nice to know I have a place where someone understands same lingo and doesn't have to "slide back" to my level to explain things to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

Eugene:

I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds like it must be starting with windows. Try and see if you can boot into safe mode without the appearance of the shape.

When turning on computer, press F8 (or CTRL, depending on machine) continuously until you see a menu of options. Select the one that says Safe mode. Try booting into this and see if the virus appears. If not, post back, and we will work on elimination.

If so, also post back, and we will try a couple other things to get around it.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eugene on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 08:09 pm:

hi can any body help with a virus i have gottin on
my computer, it is a circle shape which is black
and white in colour,and keeps spining in a spiral
towards the center.i dont know what to do to get rid of it.i can not use my computer now so i am sending this massage from a friends computer,i would really be greatfull if anyone could help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doug Ward on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 07:13 pm:

GO Zilla is without a doubt the best download program and unzipper anywhere at any price and it's FREE. www.zdnet.com search in downloads.
Winzip is a difficult pain in the....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 11:58 am:

Hi Kris,

I'm glad you have finally got rid of the purple pest, but I am sorry I didn't realise you needed him for your unzipping, thankfully Catchup has been able to help and he has also helped me at the same time, I didn't know where to get the Winzip 32. either, but I do now thanks to Catchup.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 03:39 am:

Kris;
Goto Cnet and then find the search box, type in Winzip 32. when you get to the next page follow the instructions for downloading winzip.
This is a shareware program, you can use it free for non-commercial use. It's a very good unzip program that you can figure out pretty easily.
If you have any problems with it, you can re-post here, read the "read me" file that comes with it it's pretty straight forward. The install procedure is pretty much automatic.
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kris Steer on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 02:00 am:

Thanks people! I seem to have gotten rid of my purple problem( at least he doesn't sail in on his surf board when I push download) but now when I tried to download and then open the file it said I need bonzi.exe to unzip the file and it could not find it(I guess because I deleted it?) Oh bother!What now? Is there still hope?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 06:27 pm:

kris, click start,go to find,click files or folders, type bonzi in the name box, and make sure the look in box has c:drive in it, click on find now, and delete anything that comes up. i did this and finally got rid of the pesky critter, hope this helps you. arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 08:05 am:

You've only removed one part of the suite of Bonzi programs. Look for the rest of it in Add/Remove and you should find it. Post back if it doesn't.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kris Steer on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 02:59 am:

A few months ago I downloaded Bonzi Buddy (a purple joke telling web-surfing gorilla) I quickly grew tired of his chatter and interruptions and tried to uninstall him. I had to do it twice, finally going to the control panel and clicking on remove programs. However..... when ever I try to download something from the internet he miraculously appears with his annoying download manager. I used to be able to download and run programs no problem but with Bonzi's "help" I can't seem to run them. Can anybody help me? kris

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page