Is the internet just a fad like CB radios in the 70's?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Is the internet just a fad like CB radios in the 70's?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
LAPTOP SCREEN/MONITOR -EVERYTHING IS UPSIDE DOWN!  1   10/20 01:06am
Make Your Business a Winner by a Landslide  0   11/13 08:01pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cary G Dean on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 06:50 am:

Hi all I'v just joined the club, no not that one
this one, we talking about CB in the 70's ahh!! yes I remember it well, the only reason CB died is they made it legal that just took all the excitement out of it, the only way the internet is going to die is bill gate's idea of bringing in internet 2, just spread virus's all over the net make software with backdoor's to let it in blame some computer geeks in asia, then sell internet 2 with his keyboard thumb scanner technology, WOW!! big brother here we come, and if you think I'm talking cr!p just type in your browser, Bill Gates keyboard with thumb scanner and you will see what him and his croney's are up to, let's hope we get them before they get us as that cop in that police show used to say, anyway all have a great day. Cary G Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pastiche on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

Um. 'scuse me - I don't think so ... I've been using the 'net since it was the ArpaNet, and while it has gotten bigger it's also MUCH easier to use and it's indeed hip. Along with ease of use has come the inevitable bad element - those looking for a thrill, to make money less than ethically, and to just see what they can get away with - the temptations to do bad in an anonymous manner are great - until they find out they're not so anonymous. (if you want to report spam to the feds, just forward the offending email to uce@ftc.gov). So, we have to adapt and deal with hackers and spammers and schemes just like we've adapted to those who abuse telephone, radio, television, and surface/print mail. It's not a fad, but it is over saturated with get rich quick schemes, email madness, and instant everytools. It will shake out in a few more years, but it will NOT go away, but will evolve.

Best regards, Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

Wanda, feel free to ask any questions you have!

Is there a public facility near you, like a library or college where you could use the net with help? Once you have some confidence, you'll be fine.

Welcome!
Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Waylander on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

think of the amount of jobs that it has produced; the poeple making webpages, making anti-virus software, teachers to train other people about how to use the net. i will also agree that if your on the net without anti-virus software installed and up to date on your computer, your just asking for trouble. it's ok if every time u get a virus u format the computer but that means backing up all your work and in doing so u may also save the virus. anyway i think the net is here to stay so you better get used to it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Waylander on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

well that has never happened to me and if it happened to you, then your friends weren't true "Geeks". i can't understand how some people can be afraid of the internet and there is no way it will ever die out. It may change a little but it is the way of the future. i will admit that i'm only 16 and was born into a life with computers were as u have to learn how to usae them, but i can't see the world working without the net now. communication is so much easier and sharing files. i will admit that the net does have it's down sides for some people I.E. record companies. there r so many file sharing programs on the net atm that they would be losing a lot of money but they should have tried harder when they made the cd to protect it. It also has it's up sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:53 am:

Initially I was a bit afraid of the Internet, but I have been on-line for a few years now and the only thing I suggest is to make sure you have an current anti-virus program and, perhaps, a firewall installed before going on-line. There is an amazing wealth of info available, and I can't even imagine using a computer without the advantage of the internet resources, this site being one of them :0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wanda Roudabush on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:49 am:

I think the enternet is great but I'm afraid to use it. I didn't learn to use the computer till late in life. I can use the off line programs. but
I am totally intimidated by the enternet.
Wanda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 03:28 am:

I for one am not sick of the internet after over 4 years. And those have been some very active years.

It has become a source of income, a way of meeting new people, a way of gathering information and new skills....and it is definately here to stay.

One of the greatest things I like about the internet is the worldwide connection it brings. As other online people, I have friends all over this country and in other countries. I believe the internet helps different cultures learn about each other, communicate with each other, and learn to appreciate the differences of each. I think it is great.

How is that for positive? :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

An incredibly HUGE resource of TOTAL HYPE and REHASH is what the web is

How long will it take till you're sick of it too?
I'm just about done now after 4 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Doug Ward on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 07:17 pm:

Anyone "not into" the internet simply does not have a clue how to use it or has no interest in anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 08:28 pm:

Tarzan,
CB's never died they just evolved into !@#$%^&* CELL PHONES!!
Thirty years from now I am quite sure that people will look back at what we are using now and LOL.
:o)

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tarzan on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 08:09 pm:

I wonder if other newbies can relate to this one:

For years, you've been computer-illiterate, and you feel like a dummy every time a friend or relative asks "what's your email address?", and you say, "Uh, I don't have one..." -You feel like you're missing out on something really big.

So then you finally get around to investing in that computer and getting online and being modern like everyone else. You're learning new things every day, and you feel so enlightened.

Then you tell those same friends & relatives, "Hey, by the way, I'm finally online, so you can e-mail me now. My address is...."
-And they say, "Oh, yeah, well good for you. I got rid of my computer, I'm not into that stuff anymore, I decided I hate the internet..."

It's like, just when you think you're finally getting in tune with what's hip, it's not that hip anymore.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page