Newsgroups?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Newsgroups?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:40 am:

kaelieanne,

newsgroup
A message board on the Internet. Also known as Internet discussion groups, they are like player-piano rolls of messages devoted to a particular topic. It all starts by someone posting an initial query or comment, and other members reply. Still others reply to the replies, and so the "discussion" forms a chain of related postings called a "message thread."

Newsgroups were popular long before the World Wide Web exploded onto the scene. By the end of 1997, there were more than 50,000. Some are moderated; some are not, and no single server or online service hosts them. They originate from many sources and are hosted on many systems, known collectively as the Usenet network, the original name given to this service. It is the system administrator at any given ISP or online service such as AOL or CompuServe that decides which newsgroups will be offered and how long postings will be available, typically about two weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kaelieanne on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:01 am:

Hi folks, just a quickie. I guess if this is my only computer problem then I've got it made ... but I just need to ask what a newsgroup is?

I have lots of computer probs at different times but right now ... I've gotter licked ... just want to have this question answered if anyone can help.

Annie

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page