RealPlayer ahd lost icons

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: RealPlayer ahd lost icons
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Moving Program Files  2   01/30 09:18pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sandy on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

I have a very small hard drive 4.3..when i changed from a 1.6 I lost my mic. what happened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 09:22 pm:

Peter:

The Real software is horrendous. It is hard to find the link for the free download from their website (I can understand that one though, they want to make money).

Whenever I install it on any computer, I am extremely careful what I say YES to. If you are not careful, it will change a whole bunch of stuff.... which is why I don't like it too much.

Now that I have had my say....
I suggest you use a US zip code... just input some false information in the registration form. It doesn't have to be accurate. For example, my zip code is 71118. It probably doesn't validate the actual number, as long as it is 5 digits long. Try that and see if it works.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peter on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 08:26 pm:

If you people in USA think that the Real Player family of programs is user unfriendly, you should try it elsewhere. Everytime Real Downlaod pops up it shoves up a box demanding that you register, but when you try, it won't recognise a non-USA zipcode (like a lot of zenophobic American sites) so you can't register and you have to put up with switching off about four boxes before you can use the darn thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy Ann Haines on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:36 pm:

Jamie

The #3 Master Control suggestion did the trick. I got sound and some music. Now I just have to camp out at the media player and try to figure out how all the nifty little features work.

Thank you very much.
I'll be back with plenty of questions just as soon as they pop up. (grins..)

Peggy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 09:34 am:

Peggy

My guess is that it's one of three things:

1 Loose sound card
It isn't unusual for graphics and sound cards to become unseated - especially with out-of-the-box computers. Unplug your PC, remove the casing, touch a radiator or some other earthed metal object to discharge any static electricity (take any rings/baracelets/metal objects off). See if anything is obviously wrong or loose (that includes the socket for the speaker jack plug).

2 Corrupted Drivers
Check the sound card manufacturer's web site and download and install a copy of the latest drivers.

3 Master Controls
Go to settings/control panel/multimedia and check that the settings are correct by clicking on the speaker icon under playback. Also,as a precaution, disable "Enable Digital CD etc" under CD Audio if it's enabled.

Also, click on devices/audio devices and highlight the relevant entry for your sound card. Click on Properties and make sure that everything that should be enabled is.

You've been having problems with two separate pieces of software - which suggests to me that it's a hardware problem, either sound card or speaker related. So, increasing my list to 4, borrow another pair of speakers and see it that's the problem.

Post back and let me know how you get on.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy Ann Haines on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 06:47 pm:

Jamie

Thanks for the help. I am trying it out now. Yes, I made it to the programs file and removed the Real Player. Then I downloaded and installed Media Jukebox. (sigh) The thing says that it is playing, but I am getting no sound. I checked my speaker icon on the task bar and tried adjusting that. No sound yet.

I'll keep trying. Maybe my computer doesn't have all of what it takes to listen to music from the Net. Well, I could hear music some of the time when Real Player would connect. I am going back in and trying for the winamp.

I did get my icons back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:54 am:

Peggy

Go to control panel and use Add/Remove programs to uninstall RP 8. Then double cllick on the file you downloaded (RP8something.exe) and it should re-install.

When you go to use it for the first time, it will ask you for various information. You will need to enter your e-mail etc or it won't work.

I have a number of issues with Real Player and to be honest, don't think it's a user-friendly piece of kit - especially for newbies. You might want to use Media Jukebox instead (www.jriver.com) or, if it's for music only, winamp(www.winamp.com)

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peggy Ann Haines on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 07:10 pm:

Please help! I am a very frustrated newbie.
I tried to upgrade to RealPlayer 8 Basic.
I thought I got through the download okay since I made it to the Finish button.

The results tell another story, or maybe just the same old story. I can't find RealPlayer 8 Basic, nor can I click on the older version. I searched for it by using Find. Can't find it. I searched for hours. When the dusk cleared, it was still lost, three icons from my task bar are now lost and I am lost.

Tom, I meet you over a month ago in the computer store next to the health food store in Battle Creek. You told me about Newbieclub. I was frustrated then and I am frustrated now. I have bee lurking on this site and learning. I ever got the newsletter. But today I need major help.

Please help.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page