Why won't deleted files remove themselves from Documents?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Why won't deleted files remove themselves from Documents?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 09:26 pm:

Hi Richard

Well, if you haven't worked out how to get yourself out of trouble by now, you never will - so here's a couple of things you can do that will let you know more about your system files.

Ini stands for initial settings or initialise - can't remember exactly which. But what ini files do is set up your computer at start up according to the preferences you have given it. This includes everything from passwords, desktop setings, printer drivers, internet settings, time zone - you name it, it's in there. If you're curious (!!), go to start/run and type sysedit to run the System File Editor. You'll see the main system files. Warning to all; You can do no harm if you highlight each one and use the scroll bar to simply read them - you will do CONSIDERABLE harm if you try to change them.

When you read them, you'll see a lot of gobbledook, but there are enough plain English references to let you know what each one does. Re-read the above warning. Once you've finished, close the System Editor.

Now, run msconfig and go to General. Click selective start up and untick all the boxes (winstart will be blacked out). Restart your computer (this is known as a Clean Boot and is used for diagnostics). See the difference?

Don't try and use anything, just go back to msconfig and tick the relevant boxes to return it to how you had it previously (note: if you had any boxes in Start Up unticked, you'll have to untick them again if you're using selective start up)

As for Desktop.ini, there are several versions, including one in My Documents, which is probably how it got into your Recent Documents file. Localised versions of desktop.ini have a variety of functions according to their location. The one in My Docs dictates where documents, graphics etc are saved. The line beginning with Clsid2 stands for Class ID 2 and the subsequent line is code for what to do with them and where to put them.

HTSYC (a new acronym for Richard)

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, November 14, 2000 - 12:10 pm:

Jamie,
My "Inquiring Mind" has been getting me in trouble for over 66 years, so nothing new there. It has also served me well in finding out things that I wanted to know, so, one balances the other.
I WILL leave the "Desktop.ini file alone, per your recommendation (it won't let me do anything to it anyway), but, I would still like to know how it got there in the first place. I have never seen it before, so how did it get in my "recently opened documents"? If it is indeed a "systems" file, then obviously I did not create it in "Word" or anything else, so how did it arrive in "Word"?
Thanks for replying.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 09:23 pm:

Richard

Your inquiring mind is going to get you into trouble!!

Desktop.ini is a system file and is not to be played with. Generally, if a computer says Cannot Be Deleted, it's for a good reason - so leave well enough alone.

As for the rest of them, they've been deleted but your program just doesn't realise it yet. Usually, trying to open them from the program shortcut, and failing, tells the program they've been deleted and the program will remove them from the Recently Opened list. If not, they'll be bumped off in time as more programs are added. There's also probably a way to clear the History list in your program.

But leave Desktop.ini alone...

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 04:11 pm:

Hi, again, Richard:

Yes, I know, "inquiring minds demand to know"!

I'm hoping someone else on this board can help you as I realy don't have a clue. I've personally never seen anything like that before. BUT, I know there has to be someone who has!

Someone please help!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 11:41 am:

Mary,
Let me better explain what I am trying to do, when I open "Word" and click on "file", way down near the bottom, it lists 4 files;
1. C:\My Documents\Desktop.ini
2. C:...\Report 007, Relationships.rtf
3. C:...\Report 007, Relationships.rtf
4. C:...\Report 006, DFR Familyhistory.rtf

The above is an exaxt list including the ... between : and \. I know what 2-3-4 are, they are reports created with my Geneology Program.
Number 1 shows the following when I open it:

[.ShellClassInfo]
Keep this file Read-only after any changes and at all times.
InfoTip=Stores your documents, graphics, and other files.

If I right click on number 1 and click delete, I get a window that tells me I cannot access or delete this file.

Numbers 2-3-4 cannot open or be found. I know where they were originally: C:\Sierra\Gen7m\Reports
(Gen7m being my Geneology Program), but I had already deleted them from that folder some time ago, but they still show up in Word.

Am I beating a "Dead Horse" here? I know that the list that shows up on Word changes as you create new documents, so am I worrying about something that I don't need to? The only one of them that I have no idea where it came from is number 1, the .ini file. I did notice that it had the [ ] brackets, is that a sign that it is some kind of a "Formating Code"?

It will not stop the Earth from spinning if I don't get an answer to the above questions, but I have an "inquiring mind".
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 06:48 am:

Hi, Richard:

Go to MS Word. Click on "open" under File. You'll
see all your documents. Click on the one you want to delete, hold down right side of mouse. A little shortcut menu will pop up. Hit "delete" and it'll ask you, "Are you sure you want this to go to recycle bin?" Hit "yes".

If you want to delete multiple documents, hold down the CTRL key while you click on them. Then hit right side of mouse, hit "delete", and, of course, it will ask if you're sure you want to have them go to recycle bin.

(If you're sure you want to delete them, never to return, hit "no".)

Hope this helps you. If not, please let me know!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 02:44 pm:

Hi Mary,
I read your post of 25 Oct, where you said you had deleted unwanted files on "Word". Would you please tell me how you did that? I can't seem to get rid of them no matter what I try.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 02:26 pm:

Just had to try this to see if I could make it work!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard_Fullerton on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 06:57 pm:

Tom,
Thanks, I had tried every way from Sunday to paste a GIF on here and could not get it to work.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 03:49 pm:

Hi Richard,

There are a limited number of icons that can be used on this board. You can learn more about them by visiting the "Formatting" link under the "Documentation" folder on the left.

Best,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 03:10 pm:

Catchup,
Thank you very much, I did not know that was available, beats doing them one at a time.
Now, tell us how you are getting that "GIF" on your messages. :o)
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

RE: Clearing documents in Start menu;

Here's the procedure:

Start> Settings> Task bar and start menu> Click the start menu tab> in the documents window click the clear button. This will clear all recently used documents and you can start over again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 06:28 am:

Hi, Jamie and Richard:

Wow, I love this place. Thanks so much. Maybe when I become an expert, I'll be able to help others on this forum! (Don't hold your breath!)

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 06:09 am:

Mary,
If you get tired of seeing the deleted documents in your start/documents, you can get rid of them by just right clicking on each one and select delete, they will go to the re-cycle bin where you can dump them forever!!

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 09:22 pm:

Mary

You're not doing anything wrong. The start/documents feature only contains shortcuts to documents you've used recently. You've deleted these documents so the shortcut is looking for a document that no longer exists - hence, problem with shortcut.

The problem shortcuts will eventually be bumped off the menu as more recently used documents are added to it. Your procedure is quite correct.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 03:33 pm:

Hi,

It's Mary again! To quote Tom in one of his newsletters, I'm ready to use my computer as a boat anchor!!! I wanted to clean up my computer and defrag so I can download "Windows for Newbies"! I deleted the unwanted files on MS Word. They went to the Recycle Bin, and I deleted them from that. I thought "Wow, I'm making progress!" Now I discovered they're on my "Documents" when I go to "Start". I thought I'd fix them by just deleting them from there. But, when I click on one of them I get two boxes--#1 says "missing shortcut" and #2 pops up after that and announces "problem with shortcut". I don't want a shortcut, I just want them to go away! Gosh, I feel SO dumb!!! What did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help so much!

Mary (not having a good evening!)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page