This Very Well May Be A "Houdini" Type Question

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: This Very Well May Be A "Houdini" Type Question
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:26 am:

thanks josh and to you too richard,
just posted a shift key problem. that's why your names didn't get a capital. anyway, on to my response. that's the answer i was looking for. a program extracts what it needs when it needs. after it has been unzipped, of course. now that is making more sense. thanks to you both

longlashes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:47 pm:

Or, are you just talking in general? Like, you know of a bunch of zip files on your hard drive? If they are there, a program probably uses them, and extracts what it needs when it needs it, so you don't have to worry about going around and unzipping files in all your directories.

If you are talking about zip files contained within the original zip, I would follow Richard's advice and look for a setup.exe and double-click it. Most likely, the install program will handle all the extraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:30 am:

As I have no idea what files you downloaded and unzipped, I can't very well tell you what to do with them. One of the files should have a .exe extension or be named "Setup" or something similar, double click on them and see what happens. In the future, when you are downloading a file, zipped or unzipped, when the download window appears remove the check from "close this window when complete", then when the download is complete, click on "Open", if it is a zipped file, Winzip will automatically open and give you the option to unzip.

Are these files that you are downloading related to a particular program or are they a stand alone item?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 08:31 am:

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for the advice. I do have a download folder that all my downloads go into. Got winzip as you suggested and was able to do the unzipping of that partiuclar file. It also displayed a list of other files that needed unzipping. That is cool but once you unzip them where do you put them and how do you get them to their destination? In order to utilize them they need to go somewhere right? I know they must belong to a particular program or application but I don't have a clue what you do with them once they are unzipped. I see several folders in most of them and inside of those folders are other things with extensions that I don't recognize and when I click on a few of them they open with a program that has seized most of my files anyway and won't let me read what they are and quite often quick view is not always available. I wish I could grasp this. Perhaps with a little more knowledge, I could. Thanks again, longlashes aka (Joyce)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:32 pm:

There are insructions for placing an image on this forum by going to "Formating" on the left side of this page, then to "Other Formating" then to "images, attachments and clipart". However, I think it has been disabled because it does not work. It always gives you a "Formatting Error", I suspect the reason for this is because images take up a great deal of space and would soon overload their server if everyone tried to put a picture on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:14 pm:

Go to www.winzip.com and download the trial for Winzip. It will give you a 30 day free trial. For reasons unknown to me, even after the 30 days are up it just keeps on working. I have had it for several months and it still works. That should unzip your file for you. If you don't know where your download is located, then you will have to download it again. What I did, is I created a new folder on my desktop named "Downloads" and I download everything to that folder for storage, then I always know where my downloads are without having to search for them. If you don't know how to create a new folder, just right click on a blank space on your desktop, left click on "New", then on "New Folder", a new folder will appear on your desktop with the name area selected, type in the name you want then hit "Enter" and voila, you have a new folder on your desktop!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By longlashes on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:01 am:

Hi,

I downloaded a file off the net to ZDNET Unzip Wizard just as the evaluation period expired and hadn't had a chance to unzip it yet. How do I get it out of there? I am looking for a very user friendly program and I am not experienced enough to know which would be the best as I qualify as a definite "newbie". Does the download remain there till I purchase from the above? I have a feeling that if I went with another unzip program, I would have to download the file again to that program. Am I right or wrong? Thank you once again, longlashes. Who will someday become "computer savvy". P.S. I'd like to post my photo so you can see who keeps pestering. :) How would I qualify to do that and where is the prompt for the image file to upload??

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page