How to tell if PC is a lemon

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: How to tell if PC is a lemon
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anthony on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 03:13 pm:

Does any one know why my PC sometimes starts acting weird? The mouse cursor will start moving all over the screen when I move it and the menu when you right click the mouse will start opening up spontaneously. Also the mouse tends to cruise around the screen when it does this in a pattern following the outline of the screen but not always.
There is nothing I know to do at present except restart the machine. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rob on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:32 am:

In my limited experience, I have found that buying a used PC, is a lot like playing Russian Roulette - you pays your money and takes your chance. There is a program called "FreshDiagnose" that you can download from zdnet.com. This is a cool benchmarking program that fits on a floppy disk, so you can take it with you and test your potential purchase. I would also reccomend running Scan Disk before you buy the machine, just to see what shape the hard drive is in. if the seller has any objections - then just walk away.

Regards,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By C.J. Part 2 on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 02:43 am:

Could you tell me if this is a far fetched idea?
The tower is a monster, it's three times the size of my HP. One thing I am having problems is I have no clue to who made this PC. The sticker is so worn out, you can't even read it. Is there a way to check inside the tower and find out who made it? Could it be that it was special built or something? All help you could give me, on how to find what is important in this thing would be a great help also. Like what I should be concerned with inside getting info on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By C.J. on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 02:41 am:

I don't know if I have my head in the clouds or what. But someone gave me a pc tower. It has Windows 95 on it. I can't bring up much info on it, except the fact it has a Trident GUI 9680-1
the software says Award Software INC. 468DX I haven't run it, cause im not sure if I can. Most of the parts except for one has 1993-94 on them.
There is also a part missing. Looks to me like it is the cd-rw One part in this thing where it says it's windows 95 it says AMD-X5 below there is 133 ADW. I would like to know, if this would make a good computer to gut out, and rebuild?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:14 am:

SPH:

Don't tell me your keyboard is broken too! :) It is true that some things are not compatible with other components. Without any specific information on what you want to replace/fix, I can't recommend anything.

I can recommend this website though... it is filled with good information:

http://www.tomshardware.com

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By SPH on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 03:47 am:

MY FIRST PUTER WAS SOLD AS "USED", ALTHOUGH I NOTICED THEY HAD AT LEAST 50 OF THE SAME PACKAGE FOR SALE. IT NEVER WORKED CORRECTLY, CONSTANTLY FREEZING, ETC. WITHIN 2 MONTHS, MY HD WAS FULL. AFTER NUMEROUS TRIPS TO REPAIR PERSON, I JUST GOT A NEW PUTER INSTEAD. (BY THE TIME I REALIZED IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THINGS I HAD DONE, I WAS WAY OUT OF WARRANTY)

A FRIEND HAD PURCHASED THE SAME PACKAGE, AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT WORKING BY (ALONG WITH OTHER THINGS) INSTALLING A NEW HARD DRIVE.

I'VE ALWAYS FELT THAT THE COMPONENTS WERE SOMEHOW NOT COMPLETELY COMPATIBLE, IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE. MY QUESTION IS,CAN ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW OR WHERE I COULD FIND OUT IF THIS IS TRUE.

PS MY APOLOGIES FOR "ALL CAPS"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 04:41 am:

Thank you Frank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

Find yourself a good easy-to-understand book on whatever version of Windows you have and read it and get to know how your operating system runs and what it can do.

Browse around and experiment with your computer and learn how it works. Don't move or delete anything you're not sure of.

Perform hard drive maintenance on a regular basis and keep the accumulation of trash files and unnecessary programs cleaned out.

The PC Pit Stop site is a great site for checking how your hardware is performing and for getting suggestions for fixing some problems. I use it frequently and recommend it to others.

Home computing is a continual learning experience. How much you put into it is up to you. The more you learn, the better you'll be able to deal with problems yourself and the more you'll enjoy your computer.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 03:24 am:

Thank You!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 11:05 pm:

Here is one place you might try to get a check up on your PC:http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

Well, I had a pc, and it was a bad one. Thats what tech said anyways. They are sending me a new pc. I know nothing about pc's at all. i need to know something about how to check the pc out when I get it. So I know that it's doing what it's suppose to do. A few said they were new, and didnt even know till it was too late to get anthing done about their pc's and their pc's were not doing as they should. Is there anyway to check a pc out when you get it to make sure it's running properly?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page