Scandisk

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Scandisk
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Frustrated  5   07/03 05:50pm
Closing programs  4   07/19 05:19pm
More scandisc  2   07/16 04:54pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

Thorough scanning was done on 'd', 'e' & 'f',
but the scanning could not be completed on 'c' for I get the message " Windows or another program is writing to this driver"

Any help please ???? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sunni on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 09:13 pm:

Richard,
I had like 13 programs open..don't know how that happened.I closed them all and ran the scandisk, no errors.I also enabled javascript in my browser settings and I checked 2 of the sites where I was getting the errors and PRESTO ! Seems to be working ok. This site is a great help.
Thanks again,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:14 am:

Scandisk Continued.....

If one of the above solutions doesn't work for you, then shut down your computer and restart it, while it is booting up before Windows loads, repeatedly press F8 on the top of your keyboard, this will start your computer in Safe Mode (no programs running), do the scandisk and while you are there, run defrag in Safe Mode, when finished, restart your computer and it will be in normal mode. While it is in Safe Mode your desktop will look strange to you, probably larger icons and sometimes weird colors, that is normal, when you restart after running scandisk it will revert to your normal look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:08 am:

Sunni, You have some program running in the background. Press Ctrl/Alt/Delete (all at the same time) this will open a window where you can see everything that is running, close them one at a time until you have only explorer and systray left running, this requires that you open the window after shutting down each item. Don't press Ctrl/Alt/Delete twice in a row or it will shut down the computer.

The usual suspect is if you have a screen saver running, right click on a vacant spot on your desktop, then on Properties, this will open a display window, click on the screensaver tab and in the menu select None, click apply and OK, that will shut down the screensaver. You can try this before you use the Ctrl/Alt/Delete as it may solve your problem all by itself. Next Page.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sunni on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

When running scandisk ..with no other programs running,I get a message "windows or another program is writing to this driver" and it will not complete the process ????Any help again? Thanks

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page