Closing programs

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Questions all newbies want to know: Scandisk: Closing programs
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Closing programs cont......  1   07/19 05:19pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:54 am:

Continued....
If you would like to see what is on your start-up, click on Start/Run/Type in msconfig/OK, when the little window opens click on the Startup tab, everything with a check in the box is running in the background everytime that you turn on your computer. You can safely remove the check in a lot of them, just because they are no longer in the startup does not mean that they won't still be on your computer, just that they might take a few seconds longer to load. The 2 that I know for sure to leave alone are System Tray and Loadpowerprofile (you will see Loadpowerprofile in two different entries, both are needed). The others you can shut down 1 at a time if you want and make sure everything is still working. You can always go back and put the check back in the box if something doesn't work. After you remove any check(s), you need to click on Apply/OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:52 am:

Sunni, No, they won't stay closed when you use Ctrl/Alt/Delete, as soon as you restart your computer, everything will be running again, as they are on your start-up menu. If you want them to remain closed, you have to remove them from the start-up. A lot of applications (programs) insert themselves automatically into your start-up when you install them. If you can identify which one's you want to remove, you can by using MSCONFIG. However, if you aren't sure what some of them are, you are better off leaving them alone, as some of them are necessary to run your programs. Next Page.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sunni on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 11:54 am:

Richard,
I thought I solved the scandisk and error problem by doing the control,alt,delete to close programs.Today the programs I closed were open again when I turned on my pc.I had to close them all again.Once I close them,shouldn't they stay closed? What am I doing wrong?
Thank You in advance.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page