How do I reinstall the sound card?

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: How do I reinstall the sound card?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Mic  1   11/12 05:15pm
Illegal operation  1   12/08 11:16pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Pat ORourke on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:26 am:

I too used to have the speaker icon down by the clock. It disappeared. I want it back.
I followed Tom's good advice into the control panel/multimedia, only to find that the option to have the speaker in the Task Bar was not available. It was greyed out.
Does anyone know of another alternative for Win98 please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 06:05 pm:

Ray,

Computers play sound through a cd player by actually bypassing Windows and the sound card drivers and plays directly.

So, this means that your sound card may not be installed properly. The first thing to check is this:
Do you see a speaker icon in your taskbar (by the clock)? If so, double-click it. It should bring up a window. Make sure that the mute option is not selected. Also, make sure that the slider for wav files is not pulled down. (If it is, pull it up).

If that does not solve your problem, or you don't have the speaker icon, that means something is wrong with the sound card drivers. Right-click on the My Computer icon, and select properties. Next, click the Device Manager tab.

In the list, you should see something that says "sound devices" or something similar to that. Check and see if any of the devices have a red x or exclamation mark on them. If they do, that means the problem is with the sound card drivers.

To fix that, you will need to reinstall the software for your sound card. This will either be on a cd with your computer, or perhaps on a "restore" cd. You should be able to just stick the cd in and follow onscreen directions either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ray on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 05:54 pm:

hi
when i play normal music cd's, i have great sound.
BUT, when i play music i downloaded from Morpheus (etc), i dont have any sound. Can someone help me out.PLEASE.. any advice would be appreciated. I have no idea what sound card i have. im a rookie when it comes to computers
Thank you
Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By carolyn on Saturday, December 08, 2001 - 07:04 am:

I had to reinstall windows 95. in the process my sound doesn't work. I have a AZT2320PNP CARD installed. I do not have any drivers (to install card) on floppy. Isn't windows suppose to do this automatically? When I look in sound video and game controllers all I have is (1) gameport joystick (2) mpu-401 compatible. What do I need, what did I lose and how do I find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By catherine on Sunday, November 04, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

Ive added a microphone to my computer i have the headphones working but mic not working it tells me that its being used by another application its informs me that i may not have a dual or full duplex card will i have to install a new sound card? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elatia on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

Shut down your computer. Then go into it and take out and then reseat the sound card. Then when you boot back into Windows, it should detect it as new hardware. You'll reinstall your drivers. Hopefully that works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By DAWN RINDFLEISCH on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

My sound has stopped working, when I attempt to play my mp3 files, from limewire, via any player, mainly windows media player, there is only sound, if I plug my headphones in, it's normal. When I unplug, only silence. Any suggestions? Dawn dawnmoya@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By art follis on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 01:45 am:

tom thanks i have my icon back .. i feel like a real dunce .. but not to ambarassed to ask.
thanks. these dialogues are just what the net needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 02:49 pm:

To get your little yellow speaker icon back in the system tray...

Go to Control Panel, click Multimedia, and be sure the box is checked that says "Show volume control on the taskbar."

That's it.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arthur follis on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 02:37 pm:

this is arthur again ; another clue i do not have the sound volume icon in my systray on the taskbar where is it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By artfollis on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:23 am:

i have found a reference to "multimedia control panel" for setting sound .. i have windows 98 se.. i cannot find it in my computer.. can anyone tell me how to find it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By art follis on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

the sound out of my speakers sounds like its coming from an echo chamber and distorts any voice messages i get ... i remember way back some settings for setting sound but cannot find anything now .. any suggestions///

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 06, 2000 - 02:51 pm:

Hi All,

Can I use the same method as above to find the drivers for my internal modem, or do I have to download them again from the web, if so where can I download them from.

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Douglas Davis on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 06:46 am:

If you still have the software that came with your sound card try installing the drivers again.

If that doesn't work, click on [Start] [Settings] [Control Panel] [Systems] [Device manager] and open [Sound video and game controllers], see if your sound card is listed or has a yellow exclamation point next to it (indicates a problem).

Get back here with your results and we will go from there.

Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

My sound quit working and when I looked in the control panel it doesn't even list the sound card anymore. How do I get it back?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page