V92 modems

TNC Discussion Board: General Discussion: Message boards/pictures: V92 modems
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

I didn't notice something in your post: The AOL support person told you no one else supports V92. This is incorrect, many ISP's do support it, but some don't support some of the features that the modems can do. For example, I installed a v92 modem for someone a couple weeks ago, and they are on Bellsouth.net dialup, and it works perfectly fine.

I think you just ended up talking to the wrong person.

If you do end up wanting a v90 modem, you won't find them in your local best buy anymore. You will have to order it online. I would suggest a place like http://www.pricewatch.com for cheap prices. But I still think that is not the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

I don't think v92 is being supported fully everywhere, but that doesn't mean you should connect slower because you are using a v92 modem. But, I tried anyway to find some information that says connections with v92's over unsupported networks can cause a slowdown, but found no such information.

My suggestion: call AOL back and tell them again that your computer is connecting really slowly. Let them know that you have a new computer, and the old one used to connect much faster. Don't mention the v92 modem. If the tech person says that it's the modem, ask to speak to someone above their level, because you don't think it is.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

I gota new comp 2 months ago Win xp amd 2000
256rd333ram 40g 7500hd and a v92 modemI am on aol using aol 7.0 After downloading 7.0 my connection was very slow 26400 I contacted support and was informed aol [or any other isp] does not support v92 protocol Support trid to help using hayes compatible but it didnt Comp manuf says no one else has complained about slow connections but suggests i buy a new v90 modem I am at a loss Is there a solution other than purchasing a new modem

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page