Outlook Express

TNC Discussion Board: Email eats my time: Outlook Express
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Changing Fonts in mid-stream  3   12/26 04:39pm
Opening "nested" emails from AOL users...  2   12/26 04:32pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Karon Thackston on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

Susan,

I just got over this *exact* same problem myself. It nearly drove me INSANE! The whole problem is that Altavista does NOT support POP mail.

What that means in layman's terms is that Outlook Express can't find the section of Altavista's server that allows outgoing mail. There isn't one :) A.V. doesn't allow you to send email except from their mailboxes.

If the company you use for Internet connection (your ISP) doesn't allow POP mail (and Altavisa doesn't) then Outlook, Outlook Express, etc. can't work except to Receive mail. It won't - however - send it.

I drove myself CRAZY for about 8 months trying everything I could find to "fix" the problem. Come to find out... it can't be fixed because that's how it's supposed to work when using A.V.

Some free ISPs DO offer POP mail. Yahoo is one of them. If you sign up for one of their email accounts, ask them to send you the information on configuring Outlook Express to use "POP Mail".

I personally gave up and decided to go with Prodigy.net instead. They have a program going right now that allows you to buy 6 months and get 6 months free with a 1 year commitment. That's only about $11 per month compared to everyone else's $19.99 and up.

If you want to use them, go to http://www.prodigy.com/pcom/prodigy_internet/pi_index.html

You'll see where it gives you the different plan options. I think the 2nd one is for buy 6 months & get 6 months free.

They also give you information as to what settings to change in order to send/receive POP Mail.

Sorry to rattle on so, but I understand your frustration since I recently solved this problem, too.

Good luck!!
Karon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

Hi

Can you send e-mail OK otherwise - by loading OE, typing your message, and then "send"?

It sounds like OE can't find your "outgoing mail" settings - this should be something like "smtp.isp.com" where isp.com is the name of the internet service provider. These settings have to be entered in Outlook Express to tell it where to send mail.

Check your browser settings - if you're using IE, click tools > internet settings and then the "program" tab. Check that e-mail has Outlook express selected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Susan on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

I'll try to explain further.Say I'm on the North Farm Catalog site.I want to order a subscription to be sent to my home.I click on their e-mail (icon?)and the Outlook Express window appears.I type in the subject and then type in my message.I also type my e-mail adress in case they need to correspond by e-mail.Then I push send.This never works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 02:28 am:

Are you using an ISP for which you've configured an email account, or are you using web based email? Sounds like web based email, and maybe you don't have OE configured for sending mail. Not sure based on the question. Anyone else have an idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Susan on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

Hi! When I'm on a webpage and want to e-mail the host the Outlook Express window comes on screen.I type in the subject and type my message.When I push send, a message shows that my server cannot be found.I am on altavista.What am I doing wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jan on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 09:46 pm:

I have been having trouble with my Outlook Express e-mail. When I dial in with my modem, I get a connect and then I get verifying name and password twice. What's up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tammy on Sunday, January 06, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

I have the problem too I am on cable
accounts
incomming mail
outgoing mail
but I still cannot send mail just recieve mail
it was working fine until they decided to change over.

confusing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John McGurn on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

Hi
When I insert duplicate graphics in my Email (Outlook Express), it displays only the first one.....all the rest display the "Red X". I can insert all the DIFFERENT graphics I want....it just doesn't like to repeat the same one.
HELP! Thanks.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pryuj80@gmail.com on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 07:11 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page